By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony To Charge Everyone For PSN Subscription?

Yeah, look out for April Fools,
But if this does turn out to be true, the PSN HAS to be equal or better to xbl, they need to invest in closer servers... a lot of cost would have to go into the infastructure. And I'll say it again, adding in a years system warranty with the PSN subscription would be very smart.

Whether it is mandatory to pay for all PSN, or an optional premium service, I will be paying.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

could these be part of an elaborate misinformation campaign?

in this case, started by Sony

they say they'll remove free PSN, remove other OS (that one's probably true though)
features some may not have known PS3 had.
Next they say they're thinking of removing Wi-Fi, Media server capabilities, PSP interoperability, charge for a browser etc. just to get it out to the media that the PS3 has all of that to remove
that way Joe Public will say "OMG? it does all of that?"
Then Kev Butler (VP of Propaganda) can do an ad saying it was all a joke, those things are and will remain free.

far fetched, I know but I've had several cups of coffee and am now getting paranoid.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Hopefully:

1. It's an April Fools' joke.

2. If it is true, than we won't have to pay for downloading games, only to play online.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

if it's true then it's the worst decision ever(on the same level as a launching a console for $700)

Go $ony, was only a matter of time (if this isnt an Aprils Fools that is)

Around the Network

Well... I don't need PSN or Network play, it only will hurt those games that rely on multiplayer, because they are getting one sale less...

If this was true it would simply mean that I would no longer be in the market for buying PSN games, or downloading Singstar songs from the singstar store. So rather than making money from me they'd be losing it. I can guarantee you that, from me at least, they would be in a negative income situation. Overall though it might be a revenue increasing exercise, because perhaps enough people will want to retain the PSN access badly enough that they are prepared to pay for it.

My boys would miss playing the online UGC content on LBP, but they'd get over it. And I'd probably no longer be in the market for ModNation Racers because we are mostly interested in the UGC possibilities of that game too.

Nah, sounds like a bad idea to me. But then again I'm not an entertainment mega-corporation, may it's a good idea from the perspective of a mega-corporation.

Oh and going from charging nothing to charging a higher annual subscription than XBL? That seems kinda unlikely doesn't it?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

another april fools id bet. They said they would not charge anything for what is offered on psn right now.

I hate it when people have early April fools, but god damn it, this better be one!

People don't mind losing Linux, I am sure they also don't mind paying for sub.
Sony's gotta do what they gotta do to make profit.

All the arguments would be pointless when all turns to be April Fool's.