By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Launch in 2011- early 12 ... 115 63.89%

Launch in 2011, just larg... 42 23.33%

Re-release current Wii in 2011, just with HD 23 12.78%

Total:180

I can't answer the poll, because I disagree with all of the options. They shouldn't release until 2013 at the earliest -I still say they're fools for cutting the legs off the DS at its peak- and they need to continue with the philosophy that made the DS and Wii great: what Gunpei Yokoi called "lateral thinking with withered technology." That's where the sweet spot for quality gaming is: enough (and enough new) to genuinely improve the gameplay experiences, without allowing developers to get carried away with graphics-are-everything and insane budgets.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Millennium said:
I can't answer the poll, because I disagree with all of the options. They shouldn't release until 2013 at the earliest -I still say they're fools for cutting the legs off the DS at its peak- and they need to continue with the philosophy that made the DS and Wii great: what Gunpei Yokoi called "lateral thinking with withered technology." That's where the sweet spot for quality gaming is: enough (and enough new) to genuinely improve the gameplay experiences, without allowing developers to get carried away with graphics-are-everything and insane budgets.

I think with 3DS, their hand got forced, I think they felt Sony was about to release something big and had to move first, the 3DS probably would have been released later otherwise is my guess, remember the GBA was killed off early because Nintendo had to rush out the DS to battle the PSP, the first DS was kinda bleh looking because it was so heavily rushed.

abcdario said:
I dont see any Wii 2 before 2012, i would suggest Dec 2012.

Ah, about the Loss-selling business model, Nintendo i dont remember that interview, but i think the Game Cube at U$199 was not being sold at a lost.

I do remember when the GCN began to fade, Ninty droped its price to U$99 and in some countries they bundled it with Mario Kart and the Zelda Collector´s Edition.

Those times were very hard for Ninty, they even had their first quarter with red numbers for its entire life.

From what I remember of the news, analysis and rumours surrounding the Gamecube launch, Nintendo was suspected of losing a small amount on the sale, packaging and distribution of each Gamecube system at launch. While this value was unknown, it was suspected to be small enough that Nintendo would turn a profit if you bought a game and memory card with each system; and because everyone needed a game to play and a memory card to save the game it was safe to assume that they would.

If nintendo launched too far after 2012 they make the mistake of letting x360 and ps3 catch up to Wii sales plus Sony and M$ would ready their new systems with no head start from nintendo. I would say 2012 sounds like a good date.

I actually did read most of that OP

Its going to be software brotha, games.  Wii, in its current form, will push through 2011 and 2012 based on software.  There could be another peripheral on the way too in the mean time, but not necessarily.  M+, BB, and the Vitality sensor is a wide enough base to keep Wii development interesting for another few years.

2013 seems like the year to me.

Around the Network

if Nintendo announced a new home console i want it to be big console instead of beating the record of the worlds smallest video game console lol

ABSOLUTELY NOT, that would be a terrible move to drop what theyve gotten with all the casual gamers of all ages, and try to jump into the hardcore market with two already, fully established beasts (microsoft, sony).

The Wii is different, and its some damn good fun, as long as you got a ps3 or 360 to compliment it.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Nintendogamer said:
With all those new features, blu-ray, 1080p graphcias ect it could cost a fortune. sometime in 2012 I think would be best or 2013.

All of those costs are falling fast, 1080p is just a rsolution, it dpoesn't equal good graphics. I think end of 2012 is more likey, plus i hope it has graphicas supassing crisis full specs. I will be costly but i think next gen will be last for new hardware, so its important that the tech can last the next decade.

they will release it two years after the 3DS as they always do (they did release the GBA two years before the GC and DS came two years before Wii). I say oct-nov 2012 and it will be more powerful than PS360 maybe not by much though as i don't that as a needed thing.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

jhuff394 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT, that would be a terrible move to drop what theyve gotten with all the casual gamers of all ages, and try to jump into the hardcore market with two already, fully established beasts (microsoft, sony).

The Wii is different, and its some damn good fun, as long as you got a ps3 or 360 to compliment it.

Shit, my Wii is not fun. I don't have any HD console!  D: