By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Launch in 2011- early 12 ... 115 63.89%

Launch in 2011, just larg... 42 23.33%

Re-release current Wii in 2011, just with HD 23 12.78%

Total:180
axt113 said:
archbrix said:
axt113 said:

History proves you wrong, you keep saying that 2D Mario wouldn't sell as much, sorry, but if that were true, then you wouldn't have seen NSMB Wii blow by every 3D Mario in a matter of weeks.  Also trying to point to SMW 2, which wasn't a Super Mario game just proves the weakness of your argument.

No a good game is a good game, is a good game, and a 2D Super Mario game is better than a 3D Mario, and that's been proven over and over, Mario 64 was a flop when compared to Super Mario games, and it has nothing to do with the times, if it did, NSMB Wii wouldn't have sold as much, but it sold far more, because its a better game, not because of the times.  But obviously you just don't have a clue of how the market works.

Again, NSMB Wii was released last year, not in '96.  The market is already past the inception of 3D; of course a fun game is going to sell.  The "15+ year" argument that Khuutra made is not garbage, it's just not what you want to hear.  If you knew anything about the market (clearly you don't) you'd know that something that works at one moment may not be as popular the next.

Super Mario 2, a 2D game, sold 10 million+ copies on a system that sold over 61 million consoles.

Super Mario 64, a 3D game, sold over 11 million copies on a system that only sold 32+ million consoles.

Not only did Mario 64 sell more copies total, it did so with a much lower install base.

Your "no exceptions" argument fails.

And you lose... again.

Wow, your arguments continue to become more and more wrong.

Sorry, but no, the whole idea that the inception of 3D would knock off Super Mario is disproved by your own comments, if 3D was able to do so, then Mario 64 would have sold as well as a super mario, it did not, so your argument fails and the 15+ years argument is garbage.

Super Mario 2 was not released both in Japan and US, if you recall, the version in the US was a skin of a different game, so you are trying to compare apples and oranges here, SMB 3 on the other hand sold far better than Mario 64.  Also why do you think N64 sold so poorly, because Mario 64 wasn't able to push hardware like Super Mario

I'm afraid your arguments are once again extremely weak and easily shown to be wrong, I suggest you learn more about the market before replying again

Funny, really.  Super Mario World 2 doesn't count because you use Yoshi.  Super Mario 2 doesn't count because it was originally another game.  Grasping at straws are we?

Let me try and explain this one more time; hopefully you'll understand.  I never said anything negative about the 2D Super Mario games.  They are phenomenal games that always do well, and rightfully so.  What I said was Super Mario 64 was the right way to go at the time of its release.  A 2D Super Mario just wouldn't have pushed as much hardware in the face of the Playstation at that time.  Would it have sold well?  Absolutely.  Should they have gone 2D again later on the Gamecube?  Probably, as I didn't enjoy Sunshine nearly as much as any other Mario game.  The 15+ years point was not the main reason NSMB did well, but it certainly helped.  Again, not "garbage" as you stated.

Your continued arguments all stem from the simple fact that I originally pointed out that you were wrong about the DS sales slowing down, as last year was its biggest year yet.  Someone pointed out that the 3DS was announced despite that the DS was still selling well, which was a good point, but you obviously think you know more than anyone else on this forum.  "Think" being the key word.

You continue to throw around "weak" and "learn more about the market" over and over again simply because you have no other way of responding when your arguments are proven wrong, just like they were with your latest "no exceptions" rant.

Sad, axt113, very sad.  Perhaps one day YOU will understand how the market works, then your "suggestion" might actually mean something.

Around the Network
jarrod said:

lol.  You realize that blog article you're linking to is from July 2006 right?  And it's only recalling the author's E3 2006 experience, meaning he was playing on at best beta software (Red Steel at that, bizarf!) and with test hardware?  And still, there's no source for your 180ms figure?

Try playing Guitar Hero on the wii - it's near impossible. I'm having a look for the source, but if you are so sure, make a video showing the low latency

vaio said:
hsrob said:
Mazty said:
hsrob said:
Mazty said:

Well you could make the argument against the PS3, apart from the fact the term shovelware came from the junk games produced on mass for the wii...
Yes it is a hypothetical argument, but one rooted in, as i said, surveys which suggest many wii owners do not tend to play on their consoles for an amount of time that a serious gamer would.
Problem is the install base, as I've been saying, may not be interested in another console, because they are content with what the wii offers. Clearly they did not want good graphics (360 and PS3 provide better) or media playback, or even a remote that worked 'well' (180ms lag), so why would they buy a better console if they are happy with dated graphics and a laggy pad?

Yes again this is hypothetical, but not something that should just be dismissed as the above point shows that wii owners have not got a want for high quality, therefore why buy a better Wii?

You are making judgements about the quality of Wii games and assumptions about Wii owners which you can't back up and which I would argue don't even matter.  You may not appreciate many of Wii's offerings and you are entitled to your opinion but this 'quality' doesn't speak to the buying habits of the people who play Wii games or their likelihood of supporting Nintendo's new console.  You are using soft data (surveys?) which suggest that these people don't play their games much but in the end it doesn't matter one bit as long as they buy games, and by extension, hardware.

The only hard data we have is attach rate. You are right that the attach rate doesn't mean much when you take a snapshot but (and you'll have to take my word for this if you are new to the site) the Wii's attach rate has been rising for over 3.5 years which tells us that it's established users and new users are continuing to buy games in significant numbers.  Once again it doesn't matter if they only play each game for 5 minutes, the point is they are willing to hand their hard earned over to Nintendo /andor it's third parties.  So what about the behaviour of these people makes you so sure they won't continue to spend their money on Nintendo in the next generation? 

The only data we have says they have been willing to buy games and continue to buy games, which strongly suggest thats they have so far been happy with the products they have purchased and are willing to spend money.  I'm not saying this guarantees their future loyalty to Nintendo or their gaming habit, but why are you so sure that it doesn't.

Well let's look at thte facts of the wii and what a new one could offer:
The wii is technically very dated. The games are graphically dated and AI is not going to be impressive compared to the rest of the market.
The pad response time is about 180ms meaning the owners are not concerned about a responsive pad, nor is it 1:1 without motion +.

What could a new console offer that could entice people who clearly are not bothered about graphics or tech as they have the wii to begin with?

If they wanted cheap gaming they'd have chosen the xbox. If they wanted hardcore games, xbox or PS3. If they wanted state of the art graphics/bluray they'd have gone for the PS3.

So again, what could a new console possibly offer to these people who dont care about graphics, tech or media?

You brought up this figure so many times in this thread I thought I'd look it up.  I have no idea where you came across this figure but I did come across this article which addresses the general topic of controller lag and lag in console games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-console-lag-round-two-article?page=3

In case you don't feel like reading it, lag of 100ms-150ms is not unusual even in the biggest and best FPS shooters available for the HD consoles.

Nice find :)

Then accordding to him Killzone 2 150-183ms is unplayable.

A big criticism of Killzone was the unresponsive controls. Amazing how all the wii supporters seem to have no idea of gaming outside of the wii.

Mazty said:
jarrod said:

lol.  You realize that blog article you're linking to is from July 2006 right?  And it's only recalling the author's E3 2006 experience, meaning he was playing on at best beta software (Red Steel at that, bizarf!) and with test hardware?  And still, there's no source for your 180ms figure?

Try playing Guitar Hero on the wii - it's near impossible. I'm having a look for the source, but if you are so sure, make a video showing the low latency

Sorry, I'm not into casual shovelware.  I'm also not the one trying to prove latency issues here, put up or shut up.

Mazty said:
jarrod said:

I played GH3 on the Wii - it syncs up with the lag from some HD displays, and you can actually calibrate the amount that it needs to compensate, so.... it's a really bad example, since it can ignore all reasonable lag.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:

Sorry, I'm not into casual shovelware.  I'm also not the one trying to prove latency issues here, put up or shut up.

Guitar hero shovelware?

Right, and there goes all your credibility. And so far I've shown it to be around 2.5ms, what do you have?

Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:

Guitar hero shovelware?

Right, and there goes all your credibility. And so far I've shown it to be around 2.5ms, what do you have?

Actually you've repeatedly failed to cite any actual legitimate references.  Protip: pulling numbers from your ass isn't showing us.

And credibility?  I'm not the casual who plays GH.  lol.

jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:

Guitar hero shovelware?

Actually you've repeatedly failed to cite any actual legitimate references.  Protip: pulling numbers from your ass isn't showing us.

Yeah because GH is a casual game like Sonic racing....Congrats, you clearly no **** all about everything to do with gaming.

Anyway you are digressing. Why would wii owners, people who do not care about graphics or AI, upgrade to another console? They do not care about hardware, so selling a next gen console with the promise of better hardware, as all are, is not going to be a selling point is it?

Mazty said:
vaio said:
hsrob said:
Mazty said:
hsrob said:
Mazty said:

Well you could make the argument against the PS3, apart from the fact the term shovelware came from the junk games produced on mass for the wii...
Yes it is a hypothetical argument, but one rooted in, as i said, surveys which suggest many wii owners do not tend to play on their consoles for an amount of time that a serious gamer would.
Problem is the install base, as I've been saying, may not be interested in another console, because they are content with what the wii offers. Clearly they did not want good graphics (360 and PS3 provide better) or media playback, or even a remote that worked 'well' (180ms lag), so why would they buy a better console if they are happy with dated graphics and a laggy pad?

Yes again this is hypothetical, but not something that should just be dismissed as the above point shows that wii owners have not got a want for high quality, therefore why buy a better Wii?

You are making judgements about the quality of Wii games and assumptions about Wii owners which you can't back up and which I would argue don't even matter.  You may not appreciate many of Wii's offerings and you are entitled to your opinion but this 'quality' doesn't speak to the buying habits of the people who play Wii games or their likelihood of supporting Nintendo's new console.  You are using soft data (surveys?) which suggest that these people don't play their games much but in the end it doesn't matter one bit as long as they buy games, and by extension, hardware.

The only hard data we have is attach rate. You are right that the attach rate doesn't mean much when you take a snapshot but (and you'll have to take my word for this if you are new to the site) the Wii's attach rate has been rising for over 3.5 years which tells us that it's established users and new users are continuing to buy games in significant numbers.  Once again it doesn't matter if they only play each game for 5 minutes, the point is they are willing to hand their hard earned over to Nintendo /andor it's third parties.  So what about the behaviour of these people makes you so sure they won't continue to spend their money on Nintendo in the next generation? 

The only data we have says they have been willing to buy games and continue to buy games, which strongly suggest thats they have so far been happy with the products they have purchased and are willing to spend money.  I'm not saying this guarantees their future loyalty to Nintendo or their gaming habit, but why are you so sure that it doesn't.

Well let's look at thte facts of the wii and what a new one could offer:
The wii is technically very dated. The games are graphically dated and AI is not going to be impressive compared to the rest of the market.
The pad response time is about 180ms meaning the owners are not concerned about a responsive pad, nor is it 1:1 without motion +.

What could a new console offer that could entice people who clearly are not bothered about graphics or tech as they have the wii to begin with?

If they wanted cheap gaming they'd have chosen the xbox. If they wanted hardcore games, xbox or PS3. If they wanted state of the art graphics/bluray they'd have gone for the PS3.

So again, what could a new console possibly offer to these people who dont care about graphics, tech or media?

You brought up this figure so many times in this thread I thought I'd look it up.  I have no idea where you came across this figure but I did come across this article which addresses the general topic of controller lag and lag in console games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-console-lag-round-two-article?page=3

In case you don't feel like reading it, lag of 100ms-150ms is not unusual even in the biggest and best FPS shooters available for the HD consoles.

Nice find :)

Then accordding to him Killzone 2 150-183ms is unplayable.

A big criticism of Killzone was the unresponsive controls. Amazing how all the wii supporters seem to have no idea of gaming outside of the wii.

Judging by your posts and behaviour i´ve probably been gaming longer then you existed.

I knew about the lag issues of killzone 2 but according to you that level of lag is unplayable for any serious gamer and yet there are gamers praising that game.

Also lag around 165ms or lower are unoticable to gamers according to one of the links in one of the posts in the last 2 pages.

Show us proof that the lag is 180 cause the only serious lag ive noticed in games are the poorly made ones and that kind of games you will have lag on any system.

So show some proof or stop posting your bullshit.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:
Mazty said:
jarrod said:

Guitar hero shovelware?

Yeah because GH is a casual game like Sonic racing....Congrats, you clearly no **** all about everything to do with gaming.

Anyway you are digressing. Why would wii owners, people who do not care about graphics or AI, upgrade to another console? They do not care about hardware, so selling a next gen console with the promise of better hardware, as all are, is not going to be a selling point is it?

again, if they system has games that they want, they will buy it. that's all the reason that they need.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.