By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

^ wow ... I haven't played online yet, and Rathian was a freaking cinch for me.

I've solo'ed every "boss monster" up to Diablos, and even it isn't that challenging.

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

I've never actually seen Rathian defeated, either offline or on. It's gotten to be superstitious. Any group i'm with, no matter how good otherwise, seems to fall to pieces against Rathian, and we'll fail whether it's my fault or not.

Offline, it's nightmarish. There is no safe way to attack her, and there is no weapon set that can hit more than iher legs (or if there is i haven't found it or unlocked it), unless you're suicidal enough to stand in front of her.

Once you learn Rathian's attack patterns and tell signs, she is surprisingly easy. If you can try manuvering around her and attack her from behind from an angle but don't be directly behind her, the same strategy can be used to attack her neck and head. Don't do more than a few attacks though because she will turn and face your direction to attack. I use the Switch axe mainly because it has reach, has a side step dodge, and can attack her tail even when she is on the ground. When she is about to use her poison back flip attack, dodge to the side and then attack her tail after she she flips  but hurry before she turns and attacks you again. Never let stand or attack directly in front of her. Also flash bombs are great to use after you cut off her tail, use it directly after you cut it off so she won't directly chage you or fire blast your ass

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

Well, that was better, but it's still quite stacked against me. One unfortunate hit, and that's the end of it (my policy of abandoning after the first death makes it harder, i'll grant).

I've found that virtually all of her stuff can be blocked with little concern, it's mostly when i get in a jam and have to retreat that she'll get me. She gives almost no windows.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nice, Jhen+ up! Got to kill him once so far. I want that armor! (... though I'm still not 51)

Been waiting for that sandstorm, used it to buy a ton of stuff. Like, 400 thunderbugs.

nice team up last night, one of the best groups I have been with. I think I was upswung twice but that was mostly my fault. We only failed once which is good. I feel bad for amp though his connection kept kicking him off.

One of the hardest part about being a lancer is safely bringing out your weapon and putting it away. Rathian does weaken shields, but there are so many opportunities for easy hits.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Around the Network

I died four times. Although the one against Diablos was unexpected: while Diablos was buried, I saw Rathian land on the edge of my screen and assumed Diablos had somehow snuck up behind us. I turned to face "Diablos" and...

Mr Khan said:

Well, that was better, but it's still quite stacked against me. One unfortunate hit, and that's the end of it (my policy of abandoning after the first death makes it harder, i'll grant).

I've found that virtually all of her stuff can be blocked with little concern, it's mostly when i get in a jam and have to retreat that she'll get me. She gives almost no windows.

Blocked?! Never block unless you're a Lancer, and even then, sidestepping is preferred! Dodge; DODGE; D-O-D-G-E!

routsounmanman said:
Jski said:
Close to getting fulll lagi + gear but i see nothing about free element am i reading awalking wrong or is there something i do not understand about it?

Free element points and the subsequent Awaken skill are exclusive to Lagiacrus+ Armor, not the low rank one.

Ya i fond that out i am close to full + verson sux too i had the non + verson full upgrad def so i had to do it all over. Soon i will get the full + just need to run barh + some tonight.

Smash ID: Jski - 0559-6620-9873

Add me if you wish but PM me if you do.

routsounmanman said:
Mr Khan said:

Blocked?! Never block unless you're a Lancer, and even then, sidestepping is preferred! Dodge; DODGE; D-O-D-G-E!

Lancing is my primary run. I'm much more adept at dodging with other things, but i've found that trying to dodge with Lance just gets me killed. Face the source of danger square-on and brace for impact. It stops everything Rathian does dead in its tracks, and will fix most of everything else except for Ludroth's barrel roll, and Gobul's barrel roll too. It works especially well for Barroth and Rathian, because then they end up standing right over you.

Blocking is less effective aquatically, because you have to be dead set on to really block, which is harder in 3 dimensions.

I did finally get Rathian, though. Mostly through using the Lance Charge as an escape tactic, since i can run like hell without taking the critical seconds to dequip. Never found it to be a useful offensive technique, but its good for quick escapes over short distances. Now i just need one more Gobul Spike and i can make a long sword, then finally give Galaxy 2 my full attention.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Okay, I've pretty much got Lance down to a science, beat lagicarus down from rage without taking damage. ^_^

It's a simple gig, never block unless you really don't know whats coming your way, never walk in shield mode it's a waste of time, it's just better to walk normally especially if you have auto guard.

IF you find your using the behind shield poke, then your doing it wrong.

Always do the counter thrust, you get to block and you attack back, you cant beat that. nothing like blocking then cutting lagi's tail off before the lagi can recover.

If your teammates are jerks use your dash run without discretion, they wont get the point but you'l get some laughes.

Best lance for me right now online is gobul+ para owns.

Lance is more offensive that it seems, find a spot and poke it.

If your not certain block, if nothing is happening move and attack for a shield slam to normal attacks, this gets you into the target, just make sure your not going to get hit.

Avoid BIG HITS, like Uragaan Chin smashes, they do so much damage that they hurt your hp.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D