By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

I'm trying to get full Alatreon armor,but, those horns are hard to break off and webbing is hard to get as well. I did manage to get 4 broken skypiercers yesterday. I got enough money for armor,but, not the items yet.

Around the Network

I finally did all my offline quests yesterday and I already finished my online quests last weak. I going to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 later today. I'll still be playing MH3,but, not as much.

Mr Khan said:

Lancing is my primary run. I'm much more adept at dodging with other things, but i've found that trying to dodge with Lance just gets me killed. Face the source of danger square-on and brace for impact. It stops everything Rathian does dead in its tracks, and will fix most of everything else except for Ludroth's barrel roll, and Gobul's barrel roll too. It works especially well for Barroth and Rathian, because then they end up standing right over you.

Blocking is less effective aquatically, because you have to be dead set on to really block, which is harder in 3 dimensions.

Late game monsters have attacks that are either unblockable, or which consume most of your stamina to block, or which still do serious damage even when you do block them, so blocking is not a good late-game strategy.  If you do need to block though, using advancing guard can be helpful, since it lessens the stamina cost, usually gets you out of the danger zone, and expands the range of your block so that everything that isn't directly behind you gets blocked.

Even so, getting the Evade skills is a huge help for lancers.

dib8rman said:

Best lance for me right now online is gobul+ para owns.

Gobulu lance, represent!

RolStoppable said:
Switch axe question: I am not sure which path I should upgrade my Bolt Axe. The one that requires Lagiacrus+ parts has the most attack power, but the blade is powerbased while the other two paths have elemantalbased blades. Which option is the preferable one?

Raw damage is better if you're only going to stock one weapon, elemental ones are better if you plan on switching weapons depending on the monsters' weaknesses.

So when are we getting together again to play as a group?

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:

PAL or US?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
woopah said:
metalmonstar said:

PAL or US?

Well it would be good if both groups got a time setup, but personally I am only interested in the US group times and dates. 

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:

It seems like Monday nights at 6 Pacific (9 Eastern) works best for most folks, so I propose we try it then.  I'll just have to wall-spam a few days in advance this time.

Finally gotten Long Sword back, and i've completely forgotten how to use it compared to the time i invested in the demo.

:/

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I've never actually seen Rathian defeated, either offline or on. It's gotten to be superstitious. Any group i'm with, no matter how good otherwise, seems to fall to pieces against Rathian, and we'll fail whether it's my fault or not.

Offline, it's nightmarish. There is no safe way to attack her, and there is no weapon set that can hit more than iher legs (or if there is i haven't found it or unlocked it), unless you're suicidal enough to stand in front of her.

how, talk about hyperbole.

I found rathian to be medium hard offline. Took me till my third try to take her down. But note, I did not figure out how to eat(never realized the importance of it) so I was doing here on 100 health.

Online? She is wicked easy. As long as you dont have a dumbass on your team that cant live than you will be ok...

The trick? Be cautious until your d is around 140 or so. Go for her head after a fireball and give her 2-3 good wacks. When she down the vertical tail swipe (the poison one) roll then hit the tail.

If you do that the tail will fall off about 2/3 the way through the battle without ever having to try to get behind her.

Also a huge tip Always keep her at either your 2 or 10 O'clock. She does a quick turn, but if you are there she turns past you. You will either easily avoid her quick charge.... or Be able to go for her head when she shoots fireballs.

It is a slow fight based on these tactics and using rare 2 weapons. Expect 30 min fight offline if things run smothly (ala you dont die)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

my first non exam day all week :D so i'll be on for a lot of that day if any pal chartzers want to jump in. ID is MLHLAL and name is kozy

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia