By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

Hrrm, I should probably try out other weapons. I've done all 1-3 star quests in single player mode using nothing but the Great Sword. Need to kill the Gobul now, been procrastinating since I hate the water.

The game is pretty damn cool so far, though I think they can make lots of improvements (can actually learn a lot from a game like... WoW). I'll get online soon... first time I tried, I was just AoEing everything (damn Great Sword), didn't realize there was friendly fire in this game. It didn't help that I had no keyboard.

Around the Network
c0rd said:

Hrrm, I should probably try out other weapons. I've done all 1-3 star quests in single player mode using nothing but the Great Sword. Need to kill the Gobul now, been procrastinating since I hate the water.

The game is pretty damn cool so far, though I think they can make lots of improvements (can actually learn a lot from a game like... WoW). I'll get online soon... first time I tried, I was just AoEing everything (damn Great Sword), didn't realize there was friendly fire in this game. It didn't help that I had no keyboard.

Sentiments are sentiments but what you just said about learning a lot from WoW makes as much sense as Call of Duty could learn a lot from WoW.

It would be helpful if you explained what a lot is. If Monster Hunter could learn a thing or two from Blizzard it would be from Diablo 2 not WoW.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

What's the purpose of having multiple characters? Why not just switch weapons/armor on the first character?

Oh, I just meant a lot of tedious things in this game could be sped up. I know WoW is the king of timesinks (it's an MMO after all), but Blizzard has learned quite a lot since it originally released, and generally tries to cut the boring parts out so more time is spent on the fun - even if it means sacrificing realism, immersiveness or whatever.

From what I've seen, MH3 forces you into getting involved in too many parts of the game that some people probably wouldn't be interested in. For example, I don't find gathering or combining materials fun at all, but (I think) I'm forced to do it in order to obtain many crucial items. I'm also forced to kill the same monsters over and over again if I want their armor. I'd prefer if I could just buy this stuff (even at unreasonable prices, and requiring a first kill, if necessary), or trade with others.

Another thing is the beginning of the game (too many games have this problem). The start is awful - cramming tons of text in your face and boring tasks is not the way to go. I'd have preferred to fight some big shit straight up, like the demo!

Obviously I'm enjoying the game, but generally when things take more time than (I believe) they should, or I'm forced to do something boring in order to progress, it sticks out to me. I prefer my fun:time ratio being as high as possible. I admit I haven't tried the online much, so that could be a different experience, and I still have no idea what the endgame is like.

Mr Khan said:

I've found a new affinity for the Lance in general play, i.e. when not fighting a boss. I get the broadest sweep of attack and defense to be able to wade through a horde of enemies and come out pretty well.

I've generally had the opposite experience with the lance: it's great for bosses, since your front essentially becomes a fortress, but it's too slow and its thrust has too limited an area to be effective against crowds. How do you handle hordes?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Mr Khan said:

I've found a new affinity for the Lance in general play, i.e. when not fighting a boss. I get the broadest sweep of attack and defense to be able to wade through a horde of enemies and come out pretty well.

I've generally had the opposite experience with the lance: it's great for bosses, since your front essentially becomes a fortress, but it's too slow and its thrust has too limited an area to be effective against crowds. How do you handle hordes?

You can swing it sideways, too, that catches pretty much everything about 150 degrees in front of you or so.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

glad to see this game is getting people playing on these forums, its pretty underrated in the west, in my opinion Monster Hunter is the best thing Capcom ever came out with.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Hay can you farm new zone other then the first? I find my self doing mission in a new zone but i seem unable to just go to that zone and farm can you? If not that seems kind of lame how many mobs can you even farm with just one zone "island" to do it in?

Smash ID: Jski - 0559-6620-9873

Add me if you wish but PM me if you do.

Team A: Kenology, DarkHeart, Sc94597 and dib8rman.

Team A meeting time: Thursday 7:00pm EST (GMT -4)

Team A server: Open(1), The 2nd server from the top, and channel 13, if that channel is packed then 17 is the next one. We will meet at the Gate to town and start a game.

So far Ken is the only one who's confirmed with me on this, you guys have got to communicate. V_V Are we on or not?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Yes I'm definitely fine with the time, and will be there.