By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

hr30 seems so goddam far off. it almost feels not worth it anymore. i'm on the verge of not bothering to play this game again. i've wasted too many items playing failed quests, then i have to go back offline to grow back my ingredients. i don't know how much i have left in me.

Around the Network
blunty51 said:

hr30 seems so goddam far off. it almost feels not worth it anymore. i'm on the verge of not bothering to play this game again. i've wasted too many items playing failed quests, then i have to go back offline to grow back my ingredients. i don't know how much i have left in me.

I have resolved that i need the Shadow Javelin.

How rare is the Unnerving Claw?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

^^ 17% carve, 20% reward

blunty51 said:

^^ 17% carve, 20% reward

Not too bad, then. I was afraid of another Strange Beak, or a Rathian Plate.

Around the Network

I haven't been on much lately. I am stuck at the high rank double trouble. I feel like I can beat it, its just I would really rather do something else. Rathalos can a be so frustrating with his constant flying. Though doing other things is kind of a waste of time since I get no HR points for it.

Anyway when is the next time we are getting together? I was late monday so I just messed around in room 21.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

I'm planning on showing up this Monday again, usual time/place.  I'll be sure to head to City 21 as soon as three others are in City 20: I hate leaving someone out.

Gigginox. More impossible than Rathian, if that was possible. You just can't be near it, even in the same damn room, or it'll bend the laws of physics to make sure it lands on you, or swings you into one of those suck-fests.

Rathian you could at least defend against. Gigginox just kills you. Kicked my ass four times in the last twenty minutes.

EDIT: now 6 in the last thirty. You can't survive more than 5 consecutive minutes with that guy.

Mr Khan said:

Gigginox. More impossible than Rathian, if that was possible. You just can't be near it, even in the same damn room, or it'll bend the laws of physics to make sure it lands on you, or swings you into one of those suck-fests.

Rathian you could at least defend against. Gigginox just kills you. Kicked my ass four times in the last twenty minutes.

Gigginox is indeed a child of the devil for many reasons, only some of which I have established.  He is not, however, impossible.

First, bring antidotes and dung bombs.  If he starts sucking on your blood (*shudder*), bust out the dung bombs to get him off immediately.

He's weak to fire, so make sure to bring a fire-based weapon.

When he's on the cieling, stop what you're doing and just block.  Ignore the Giggi, just block.  As long as you're not facing the opposite direction, you'll defend from his attack and have stamina to spare.

This is important: when he does his stupid leap towards you, block in the direction he was, not the direction he's landing on.  Gigginox's hit detection is terrible here: so even though he technically leapt over you and attacked you from behind, the attack is registered as coming from the front, so do not turn around until you've blocked the attack.

You can use torches against him: every time you light an unlit torch, he will blindly charge towards that torch.  Use this to get some free shots in.  Or to set a trap...

Keep a careful eye on his droppings: if it's too purple, drop what you're doing and get away, because they have an impressive range.

The second neck swipe has an unnatural range: no matter how vulnerable he looks, don't be fooled into thinking you can sneak past it, because you can't.

The head is the weak spot, for what it's worth, followed by the torso, then the wings, then the rear.  Don't attack the torso if you're using a lance.

If you have Guard Up, feel free to whack that torso.  Just keep counter-thrust in handy, and practice going straight into that stance from the tail end of a first or second stab.

If he's clinging to a wall (not cieling), feel free to smack him: he's likely to fall off and stagger upside down for a bit.

He's slow, unless he's leaping:  if you're in danger, you can usually use your Charge attack to head for the exit before he gets to you.

Pray that you get your part soon, because Gigginox is creepy as f*** and I hate it with a burning passion.

^^ I have no fire weapons available to me, unless i want to take up hammers. The second neck swipe i've already dealt with, as i'm attacking him super-close range, and i'm inside that. Mostly its the poison flop that starts me on the road to destruction, as then he kills me while i'm going through Antidote herbs trying to find one that works.