By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 1080p HD is FINALLY HERE!!!!

Wii HD OUTPUT

Since the Wii launched in 2006, gamers have been clamoring for high definition video support by way of an HD-enabled successor to the console. Unfortunately, however, fans may have to wait awhile, as Nintendo has no announced plans to bring HD video support to the system. To help users bide the time, a new solution from VDIGI allows players to upscale their Wii's native 480p video output to full 1080p high definition resolution. The system, called the VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor, uses a 10-bit HD video scaler engine encased in a medium-sized adapter that runs between your Wii and an HDMI or DVI-enabled TV, projector, or computer monitor. The system into takes video output from the Wii via the console's A/V output port and upscales and converts it to a digital high-definition format at resolutions of 720p, 1080i, and 1080p for TVs and projectors and 1280x1024, 1440x900, and 1680x1050 for PC monitors. The VD-W3 upscaler is powered via a Wii's USB port and is also capable of routing analog audio through HDMI or analog stereo 3.5mm audio jack. Now, it's important to remember that while the VD-W3 can take the Wii's 480p video output and cleanly scale it to large high-definition resolutions, the graphics being produced by the Wii are not actually produced in high-definition. In other words, the VD-W3 will, in theory, improve the appearance of the Wii's video output, but it is still just an interim solution until Nintendo finally makes the leap to HD graphics processing on a new hardware SKU. The VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor is available for $75 on VDIGI.com.

source: ign.com

Well this is good news for those who have huge HDTV's and who dislike the graphics displayed by the Wii on their TV and look "horrific". Imagine Super Mario Galaxy or other games :)

Around the Network

wii doesn't need hd. good god.

People have been doing since 2006 with their receivers...

This is just to don't make the graphics look like crap at HDTV sets, it will do for Wii games. the same that Upscalling DVD players do for movies.

Pixelated games FTW!

No thank you, my Wii works like a charm in 480

Around the Network

Thank God! I've been waiting years to play Wii Sports in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FootballFan said:
Thank God! I've been waiting years to play Wii Sports in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that a sarcastic swipe at the Wii?

OT: This is just a video upscaler, meaning the graphics would probably become noticeably worse, since the Wii's resolution channel isn't HD.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
FootballFan said:

Is that a sarcastic swipe at the Wii?

OT: This is just a video upscaler, meaning the graphics would probably become noticeably worse, since the Wii's resolution channel isn't HD.

No.

It was simply my delight of being able to finally play it in HD.

I feel sorry for people who buy this.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Yeeeeey .... i dont even have a HD TV but its good for those who has one ...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!