By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Toshiba doesn't think this format war will end, and they are fine with that

makingmusic476 said:
This is the way I look at it. The BDA wants to win this war, as does Warner. If you're going to choose a format, go with Blu-Ray, because it's the only way one format will win.

If you go with HD DVD, you're just giving Toshiba more marketshare, and thus power, enabling them to stay in the game longer and create this dual format world they're looking for, thus forcing you two buy a second player later on, whether it's a Blu-Ray player to compliment your HD DVD player, or a dual-format player to replace it.

how about all studio just drop blu ray support and go to the HD DVD side and save us consumers $200 on the player.  I dont really give a crap about 7.1 sound support, I dont have an expensive 7.1 setup to hear the difference.  I havent jump on any format yet, but I'm more happy with toshiba's pricing,  show its thinking on the consumer side of the budget.  While Sony been forcing down their own proprietary expensive shit down our throat the pass decade, remember the mini disc player, keep changing their portable memory module on their next new device??? why cant they just use cheaper SD memory if they care so much about their consumers walleet??.

Around the Network

Why would I want one format to win? Why would I want that format to win? And why shouldn't I buy the cheaper, and arguably even better players instead?

You like Bluray, you'd like to see it win - and that's fine by me. But stop trying to convince everyone else that that's in their best interest. Because it's not.

(and the same goes to the console wars)

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

"If you go with HD DVD, you're just giving Toshiba more marketshare, and thus power, enabling them to stay in the game longer "

So what ? What's wrong with this ? Explain to me why "giving Toshiba more marketshare" is worse than giving Sony more markeshare ??? Maybe for YOU, because you're specially in love with Sony but what about me ?
If I don't care about Sony and if my favorite movies will release on HD DVD, what do you say ? What kind of advice could you give to me ?

By the time this war is sorted out, dual format players will be cheap enough that buying them won't be a big deal. I would rather spend $99 today and another $99 in a few years than spend $349 now.

Pk9394 said:
makingmusic476 said:
This is the way I look at it. The BDA wants to win this war, as does Warner. If you're going to choose a format, go with Blu-Ray, because it's the only way one format will win.

If you go with HD DVD, you're just giving Toshiba more marketshare, and thus power, enabling them to stay in the game longer and create this dual format world they're looking for, thus forcing you two buy a second player later on, whether it's a Blu-Ray player to compliment your HD DVD player, or a dual-format player to replace it.

how about all studio just drop blu ray support and go to the HD DVD side and save us consumers $200 on the player. I dont really give a crap about 7.1 sound support, I dont have an expensive 7.1 setup to hear the difference. I havent jump on any format yet, but I'm more happy with toshiba's pricing, show its thinking on the consumer side of the budget. While Sony been forcing down their own proprietary expensive shit down our throat the pass decade, remember the mini disc player, keep changing their portable memory module on their next new device??? why cant they just use cheaper SD memory if they care so much about their consumers walleet??.

Not this argument agan. >_<

A year ago, HD DVD players were $500! That's, like, crazy expensive, right!?! And Blu-Ray players were a whopping $1000!1!

Yet now, HD DVD players are $200, and Blu-Ray players $3-400.

By next year, guess what, Blu-Ray players will be below $200, just like HD DVD! HD DVD's pricing is only an advantage right here, right now. If you think Blu-Ray players will stay this expensive forever, you're freakin' crazy. BR players have already dropped almost $700 this year alone.

And it's not Sony's proprietary format. Panasonic holds more Blu-Ray patents than Sony, and Samsung, Panasonic, Philips, etc. all support Blu-Ray exclusivey, and the competition between these companies will cause player prices to fall just like the competition between HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Proprietary my ass.

Around the Network
fabinou said:
"If you go with HD DVD, you're just giving Toshiba more marketshare, and thus power, enabling them to stay in the game longer "

So what ? What's wrong with this ? Explain to me why "giving Toshiba more marketshare" is worse than giving Sony more markeshare ??? Maybe for YOU, because you're specially in love with Sony but what about me ?
If I don't care about Sony and if my favorite movies will release on HD DVD, what do you say ? What kind of advice could you give to me ?

Because giving Toshiba more marketshare would lead to having two formats?  What do you want, one format or two?

Oh my gosh, stop bitching about Blu-Ray's price, people. In less than a year, price between the two formats will be a wash!

there is really no way to penetrate that fanboyism blindness

"Price Difference"
Lower price = good for consumer
higher price = Bad for consumer
your arguement already showed the difference.
"Proprietary bs??"
Mini Disc, Memory stick(if I remember correctly right now are 3 different version of it), forcing blue Ray in PS3???? there are more example but I cant think of it right now.
"Wait till Future price drop"
what kind stupid arguement is this???? we arguing the current situation, its still more expansive than its competitor. can we consumer take the units now and pay $100 to them and tell them this is what it'll cost next year, we are only here to do you a favor and help you reduce storage cost and gaining market share.

Oh my gosh, stop bitching about Bluray winning over HD-DVD, man.

You started the thread, some of us disagree with you - deal with it, or quit your whining.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Pk9394 said:
there is really no way to penetrate that fanboyism blindness

"Price Difference"
Lower price = good for consumer
higher price = Bad for consumer
your arguement already showed the difference.
"Proprietary bs??"
Mini Disc, Memory stick(if I remember correctly right now are 3 different version of it), forcing blue Ray in PS3???? there are more example but I cant think of it right now.
"Wait till Future price drop"
what kind stupid arguement is this???? we arguing the current situation, its still more expansive than its competitor. can we consumer take the units now and pay $100 to them and tell them this is what it'll cost next year, we are only here to do you a favor and help you reduce storage cost and gaining market share.

Doesn't change the fact that by next year, prices between the two will be the same, and that's when most people will start adopting HDM. Not now, next year.

Also, Blu-Ray is not a Sony proprietary format.  Minidisc, etc. are, but they have nothing to do with this.  Just because proprietary formats are gemerally more expenisve, doesn't mean Blu-Ray will be, because, like I said, it's not proprietary.