By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Toshiba doesn't think this format war will end, and they are fine with that

Soriku said:
Blu-ray is the obvious winner, but there'll be a place where HD-DVD strives too. Blu-ray will have more sales, BUT both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, I think, will go hand-in-hand for time to come.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you are hilarious, since Walmart has thrown their support behind HDDVD there is no way Bluray will ever win.

Around the Network

I didn't need to wait a year. I got my HD-DVD player for not much more than a moderately priced DVD player now.

I still think HD-DVD will do well this holiday season and close the gap a little more. The difference is the price and most people are cheap, not in quality but the cost.

makingmusic476 said:
Pk9394 said:
there is really no way to penetrate that fanboyism blindness

"Price Difference"
Lower price = good for consumer
higher price = Bad for consumer
your arguement already showed the difference.
"Proprietary bs??"
Mini Disc, Memory stick(if I remember correctly right now are 3 different version of it), forcing blue Ray in PS3???? there are more example but I cant think of it right now.
"Wait till Future price drop"
what kind stupid arguement is this???? we arguing the current situation, its still more expansive than its competitor. can we consumer take the units now and pay $100 to them and tell them this is what it'll cost next year, we are only here to do you a favor and help you reduce storage cost and gaining market share.

Doesn't change the fact that by next year, prices between the two will be the same, and that's when most people will start adopting HDM. Not now, next year.

Also, Blu-Ray is not a Sony proprietary format.  Minidisc, etc. are, but they have nothing to do with this.  Just because proprietary formats are gemerally more expenisve, doesn't mean Blu-Ray will be, because, like I said, it's not proprietary.

Um, Bluray is proprietary...as you have to pay royalties in order to produce Bluray hardware AND software...

solidarii said:
Soriku said:
Blu-ray is the obvious winner, but there'll be a place where HD-DVD strives too. Blu-ray will have more sales, BUT both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, I think, will go hand-in-hand for time to come.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you are hilarious, since Walmart has thrown their support behind HDDVD there is no way Bluray will ever win.

Wal-mart is neutral.  They had a sale on HD DVD players a few weeks ago, much like they are offering 10 Blu-Ray movies free (not including those by mail-in rebate) with each 80gb ps3 sold the day after Blck Friday.

Around the Network
solidarii said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pk9394 said:

"Price Difference"
"Proprietary bs??"
Mini Disc, Memory stick(if I remember correctly right now are 3 different version of it), forcing blue Ray in PS3???? there are more example but I cant think of it right now.
what kind stupid arguement is this???? we arguing the current situation, its still more expansive than its competitor. can we consumer take the units now and pay $100 to them and tell them this is what it'll cost next year, we are only here to do you a favor and help you reduce storage cost and gaining market share.

Doesn't change the fact that by next year, prices between the two will be the same, and that's when most people will start adopting HDM. Not now, next year.

Also, Blu-Ray is not a Sony proprietary format. Minidisc, etc. are, but they have nothing to do with this. Just because proprietary formats are gemerally more expenisve, doesn't mean Blu-Ray will be, because, like I said, it's not proprietary.

Um, Bluray is proprietary...as you have to pay royalties in order to produce Bluray hardware AND software...

I meant propreitary in the sense that it is owned and controlled by one company. Blu-Ray is controlled by the BDA, and multiple companies own patents on Blu-Ray technology and recieve royalties from every player and disc sold. The same goes for HD DVD.

makingmusic476 said:
solidarii said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pk9394 said:

"Price Difference"
"Proprietary bs??"

Also, Blu-Ray is not a Sony proprietary format. Minidisc, etc. are, but they have nothing to do with this. Just because proprietary formats are gemerally more expenisve, doesn't mean Blu-Ray will be, because, like I said, it's not proprietary.

I meant propreitary in the sense that it is owned and controlled by one company. Blu-Ray is controlled by the BDA, and multiple companies own patents on Blu-Ray technology and recieve royalties from every player and disc sold. The same goes for HD DVD.

Which is the definition of proprietary, it doesn't matter if it is 1 or 10 companies. And Walmart is NOT neutral...http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback184.html

ooo snap

good let the war continue,competition is better then monopoly

Dolla Dolla said:
Blu-ray VS HD-DVD

Consumer in the middle

the last pic is so true,my dad wants a hd-dvd but i keep telling him to wait because blu-ray may end up winning