By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CGI-Quality said:
pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:
Why are there shortages in NA then? I'm so confused by Sony's tactics. Are they abandoning the US, the single largest market as a country? It doesn't appear to be supply constrained in other areas, unless we assume that it is and it would have sold 3 billion without constraints. What is going on? Also, man others is really swinging PS3 isn't it? Well, name recognition is pretty important I guess.

Sony is using Nintendo tactics by keeping the market ''thirsty'' in NA

Doubt it. Not with a release like God of War III. Why hurt your first week numbers on purpose with one of your biggest sequels releasing?

to have better sales later during the year (Q3-Q4, and holidays)

Around the Network

add another 45k from japan http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079836p1.html

pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:
Why are there shortages in NA then? I'm so confused by Sony's tactics. Are they abandoning the US, the single largest market as a country? It doesn't appear to be supply constrained in other areas, unless we assume that it is and it would have sold 3 billion without constraints. What is going on? Also, man others is really swinging PS3 isn't it? Well, name recognition is pretty important I guess.

That's a moronic tactic that doesn't work in reality (nor does Nintendo practice it), and it would be especially bad for a console that has a direct competitor which can substitute for most consumers.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:

That's a moronic tactic that doesn't work in reality (nor does Nintendo practice it), and it would be especially bad for a console that has a direct competitor which can substitute for most consumers.

it helped Nintendo to have huge holiday sales in 2007/08

pizzahut451 said:
Demotruk said:
pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:

Did you happen to notice that they dramatically outdid those holiday seasons at the end of the first year without shortages?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

awesome!!. i am happy that ps3 is doing good!!!!. thats awesome!

Demotruk said:
pizzahut451 said:
Demotruk said:
pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:

Did you happen to notice that they dramatically outdid those holiday seasons at the end of the first year without shortages?

wasnt the 2008 Wii's best year to date?

SciFiBoy said:

UK Sales for anyone interested: (To Date Below, then this weeks)

Console Wii PS3 X360 PSP DS
UK

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 14th Mar 2010 to 20th Mar 2010:

UK

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37274/UK-PS3-sales-hit-3m

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/jan/22/games-sony

I don't know where you got your first bit of info from but ....a link would be good.

According to other sources the PS3 past 3m a couple months back and x360 was around 4m then (in UK).

justinian said:
SciFiBoy said:

UK Sales for anyone interested: (To Date Below, then this weeks)

UK

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 14th Mar 2010 to 20th Mar 2010:

UK

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37274/UK-PS3-sales-hit-3m

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/jan/22/games-sony

I don't know where you got your first bit of info from but ....a link would be good.

According to other sources the PS3 past 3m a couple months back and x360 was around 4m then (in UK).

don't blame me, lol, I got the info from VGC...

pizzahut451 said:
CGI-Quality said:
pizzahut451 said:
CommonMan said:

Doubt it. Not with a release like God of War III. Why hurt your first week numbers on purpose with one of your biggest sequels releasing?

to have better sales later during the year (Q3-Q4, and holidays)

at the cost of having more people with the system now who would be buying games the whole time between now and Q3 and Q4.  It is always better to have more stock than what people are buying.  You never know what is going to happen with someones discretionary money.