By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did you give up on the JRPG?

morenoingrato said:
when worthy jrpgs stopped coming to nintendo sistems

What about Last Story and Xenoblade? ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

When I started playing MMOs far more than I do anything else. I have now logged years of my life (yes years) in MMOs. Most I can say is I have maybe spent 300+ hours playing FFVII.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

r505Matt said:

I skipped over half your post since I didn't finish DA:O, or even ME2 yet. I do know about the differences on whether you upgrade your ship or not and whatnot. But if you want to talk about differences in endings, I point to Chrono Trigger, MUCH older, and sounds like the endings are more varied there too. 

But I agree, illusion of choice has a powerful effect anyways. Just with that illusion, you are pulled into the game more, and the game can then carry more meaning. Even though I know I have very little control in the dialogue choices in ME2, I'm still completely immersed. 

And of course, small changes make a difference in experience, but typically not in overall outcome. You still go from point A to point B. Now, maybe some cutscenes are a little different, but the end result is typically very close to the same. The kind of choice I want in a game is where at first, it looks like I'm going from point A to point B, but because of a choice I made, I'm going to point C instead. Like in the Star Fox games, where you go to different levels based on what you do, the next step is something like that in our RPGs.

Imagine, a choice you make ends up killing a pivotal party member, when it could be otherwise avoided, would completely change the game. Or because you're able to persuade an enemy commander to your side, suddenly new options are option to you. To some degree, these things are starting to happen, but it's almost too hard to do what I'm imagining. Maybe someday in some MMO something like this will be possible, I don't know, seems like a lot of work otherwise.

These things are happening like you said, to some degree... in both the games you're playing! The problem with going all out like in Starfox is that RPGs are huge and ridiculously long. Having a player miss one area because of a single choice and putting them into another area introduces problems for the dev as half the users won't play through a significant section of the game. The current system does work quite nicely though, they give us a basic story and allow us to work through the details and intricacies of the story.

As for Chrono Trigger, that's a little gem of a game and one that I don't think has really been truly repeated in the entire RPG genre since.

Scoobes said:
r505Matt said:

I skipped over half your post since I didn't finish DA:O, or even ME2 yet. I do know about the differences on whether you upgrade your ship or not and whatnot. But if you want to talk about differences in endings, I point to Chrono Trigger, MUCH older, and sounds like the endings are more varied there too. 

But I agree, illusion of choice has a powerful effect anyways. Just with that illusion, you are pulled into the game more, and the game can then carry more meaning. Even though I know I have very little control in the dialogue choices in ME2, I'm still completely immersed. 

And of course, small changes make a difference in experience, but typically not in overall outcome. You still go from point A to point B. Now, maybe some cutscenes are a little different, but the end result is typically very close to the same. The kind of choice I want in a game is where at first, it looks like I'm going from point A to point B, but because of a choice I made, I'm going to point C instead. Like in the Star Fox games, where you go to different levels based on what you do, the next step is something like that in our RPGs.

Imagine, a choice you make ends up killing a pivotal party member, when it could be otherwise avoided, would completely change the game. Or because you're able to persuade an enemy commander to your side, suddenly new options are option to you. To some degree, these things are starting to happen, but it's almost too hard to do what I'm imagining. Maybe someday in some MMO something like this will be possible, I don't know, seems like a lot of work otherwise.

These things are happening like you said, to some degree... in both the games you're playing! The problem with going all out like in Starfox is that RPGs are huge and ridiculously long. Having a player miss one area because of a single choice and putting them into another area introduces problems for the dev as half the users won't play through a significant section of the game. The current system does work quite nicely though, they give us a basic story and allow us to work through the details and intricacies of the story.

As for Chrono Trigger, that's a little gem of a game and one that I don't think has really been truly repeated in the entire RPG genre since.

Oh, I know it's happening, I guess what I'm getting at is that I expect/want greater strides in that regard. I feel that they're talking small steps for now, maybe to test the waters, but I want more! Wouldn't it be cool if every time you played an RPG, it was COMPLETELY different each time? And I don't just mean you go to Place B before Place A in a second playthrough, but you go to completely different areas, do completely different things, all in the same world. There could be multiple possible storylines, and even if you follow the same one again, the journey and the result are still vastly different.

This kind of game would be nearly impossible to make with the current technology. It would just be too much work, so I don't expect it, yet. I want it though =)

Mmmm CT, such a great game.

NEVER

And the main reason is Final Fantasy and how the series keeps pumping out some of the best RPG's ever made, FFXIII being the latest.

But FF aint the only reason; pokemon was a big thing that makes me like JRPG's.

This gen 2 other franchises have come in, Dragon Quest being the first....the DQV remake enchanted & amazed me.

Shin Megami Tensei being the other as I LOVED Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor on the DS.

Persona 4 was a disappointment on the other hand.
___

I like WRPG's too

but after the cliched mess that was Dragon Age Origins my faith in them went down....but a new betheasda WRPG will make me love em again!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

the best rpg combat its kingdom hearts even tho is more like an adventure game so thats why I got hope for ff 13 versus and i give up jrpg cuz i got tired to control some emo kids

still the best jrpg for me might be TOS or grandia 3

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

I still play JRPGs from time to time, though I am shifting more to WRPGs like Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc. The Last JRPG I played was Tales of Vesperia, which was a great game. If and when Tales of Graces gets localized, I will be picking that up as well. And I'm eventually going to pick up Fragile. I'm waiting to see more of Last Story, but I might get that as well.

JRPG vs WRPG is not the issue for me. If it's a good enough game, I'll play it. The bigger issue for me in RPGs is real time vs turn based combat, which I prefer the former.

I don't know if Pokemon counts as a JRPG but if it does then my answer is when I got too old for Pokemon I gave up on JRPG.

lestatdark said:
morenoingrato said:

are they here yet?

also cammie said they are pending to see if they come to america

morenoingrato said:
lestatdark said:
morenoingrato said:

are they here yet?

also cammie said they are pending to see if they come to america

Nope, but they're coming. Also Fragile was a good JRPG and Tales of Grace as well. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"