By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did you give up on the JRPG?

Haven't yet... but slowly starting too...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Never, and probably never will. There's too much variety in JRPG's to call it quits, there's always something for your tastes.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I haven't given up on JRPGs. Mostly because I don't equate 'JRPGs' with 'Final Fantasy'.  And simply because one series isn't producing as good of games doesn't mean a whole genre is bad.  If Mass Effect suddenly had one bad game, that doesn't mean 'WRPGs went downhill'.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

twesterm said:

Probably around FFX, that's the last one I can remember being excited about.

I also think it comes with getting older and just having less time to play games.  I more and more prefer short games and games that total take less than 10 hours to complete.  It's incredibly rare that I sit with a game longer than that and if it's a game I can't sit and play for less than an hour at a time I'm probably not going to bother.

-edit-

And I realize the last three games on my 360 card go against the above.  Mass Effect is one the few exceptions and Deadly Premonition just had me curious.  :-p

I think you've got it right there. The last FF I really enjoyed was X but I think that's more to do with me getting older as opposed to a decline in the series. I'm currently playing through FFXIII and baring one or two notable exceptions I really can't stand the characters but when I think about it they probably aren't a lot different from the characters in the previous games I enjoyed. As I get older the things which make characters interesting to me change. I found the same with Tales of Eternia (though that is the only Tales game I've played). Then there is also the issue of actually finding the time to really get into these kind of games now.

It's not all bad for the genre though. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are two of the best games I've played this gen and I also had a lot of fun with Disgaea on my PSP.

Haven't given up, probably won't. Also not equating JRPG with FF. I started gaming on consoles pretty late and while I went through most of the FF main games, techically I started with SMT, Tales and Shadow hearts, and frankly I'm still fonder of them.

Around the Network

Never have, never will.
Maybe this gen is letting me down a bit but there's still a gigantic amount of older games on my shelf waiting to be played.

Never ever =P

I still like JRPGs (still hate that designation btw), but FF is falling out of my favor. I've been putting off playing FF13 because it really could be the last FF I even try (well, other than 14, but I consider that FFO2). But, as some have said, Valkyria Chronicles and the Tales series are still very cool.

jrpgs didn't evolve towards a mature audience the way other genres did

in most jrpgs you're stuck with the same trivial scenarios and unidimensional caracters (evil guy is being evil cause , hey, he is evil, cute caracters that require protection when they don't need it, strong independent ones that won't protect until they're in love, etc.)

Bioware games on the other hand have the most depth to their scenarios and their references are more mature than before.

Mass Effect 2 for example is being influenced by Dune (checks and balances across the galaxy, racial issues), Ender's Game (utilitarism and alienation) and other brilliant SF novels.

I've never gave up on them....I play only a few of jrpg ,it's not one of my favourite genres, but it keeps them from getting repetitive.