By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Announced! (3D!!)

Hephaestos said:
bbsin said:

I must admit, this whole 3d thing has me thinking about some kind of holographic display, which would be quite impressive. I've only bought Nintendo DS as gifts, but I'll have to get a 3ds for myself if it meets my expectations.

Though I wonder if Sony will also be accused of "copying" nintendo even though they were the first out of the three to really hype up 3d gaming.

Now, I'll have to put Nintendo as the most intriguing E3 showing this year. I'm very curious.

considering development time for a new console, it's likely that N was working on this new DS before the whole "we'll patch the PS3 for  3D" thing... then again the pioniers that made it popular for gaming in 3D is Nvidia on PC, not sony, nor nintendo... who don't have a single game out so far.

Considering that the PS3 was built to run 3d already, I would say that idea and decision to patch every PS3 with 3d support was hardly an overnight decision. Sony has been demoing their 3d tech at game shows for quite some time now, not to mention that sony has been heavily invested in IMAX and 3d televisions.

Regardless, you're right. Nvidia was the first to really test the market with 3d technology in gaming.

Around the Network

They made billions on one failed tech (Power Glove), now they want to make few more billions on another failed tech (Virtual Boy) ^_^

I thought 3d in 3d games???? was first done by 3Dfx, who were in turn bought by nVidia. Though I'm willing to admit I could be wrong on this.

I think this is interesting. I could never imagine 3d while needing head gear, but if it's natural then I can work. Though I'm not to sure to what effect.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Games4Fun said:
Can we leave the who came up with it first stuff out at least a little bit??

Yes, as talk about the topic at hand. Not e-peening the company who 'did it first' and who 'copied'.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

if this is true.. so much for Sony copying Nintendo.. xD

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network

This video will give you a good idea of whats to come.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

gamelover2000 said:
if this is true.. so much for Sony copying Nintendo.. xD

Does the PSP do 3D without glasses or something?

Oh and don't act like Sony came up with 3D... there were Samsung 3D monitors before Sony was even talking a lot about 3D.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

How does 3D work without glasses? I guess cartridges are out too.

PS3 may be patched to enable 3D, but that requires you to wear the stupid glasses on top of buying a 3D TV.

3D on handheld (without the need for 3D glasses) is totally another level and is a good enough reason to be a successor rather than just increasing polygon counts.

I'm curious about what exactly we're talking? 3D nowadays is a quite polysemantic word. What "3D"?

This? But why? DSi could do it, as well as any mobile phone with camera.

sega4life said:

This video will give you a good idea of whats to come.