By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Yes it is. 102 46.15%

No. It is not. 68 30.77%

Just let it go, d21. Just let it go. 50 22.62%

Total:220

langrisser is a SRPG. Not a JRPG. As for balders gate. Never played it.

Ultima Exodus however was a SRPG unlike the rest of it's WRPG counterparts.

Around the Network

Not to me it isn't but i've never even bothered to look up the exact meaning.
Although i do like to say i'm fond of Jrpg's while thinking about Xenogears, FF, Lunar, Chrono...

But then again, i think im full of shit anyway...

Booh! said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Skeeuk said:

its an rpg from japan.

hence a jrpg literally, but gameplay is more akin to srpg.

So, if Oblivion were made in Japan by a Japanese team, turning out as the same game as it is now, would it be a JRPG? No. It'd still have nothing to do with the genre.

@Tor: That motive is the only reason people label it as one. It lacks general JRPG traits, having only the artstyle that fits the genre.

what traits?  What are the defining traits of jRPGs that encompass them all if not being an rpg from Japan and having a linear story?

-Stereotypical characters, such as the annoying little kid/hero with issues, the pompous girl, the old soldier, the goof-off and etc. Also present in some anime.

-"Save the world"! Plot with the villain embodying lots of negative emotions rather than some philosophy or a world view

-The story is very limiting of your actions, going into great lengths to shove itself or its moral down your throat

-Corny cliches such as the hero proudly announcing that he can fight this and that, thanking his friends, everyone talking about how their friendship is important and this and that

@ps3_jrpg_gamer: So, Anachronox, a western made-JRPG is now a WRPG just like that. Flawless logic!

wow....those are horrible ways to define a genre, but here goes.

pompous girl = Rosie, old soldier = Largo, Welkin is the goof-off

Save the world becomes "save the country" which is perfectly ligitimate and has been in jRPG's before it just like saving the town in Persona 4.

The story is extremely limited in your actions, don't know how that's a difference

Corny cliches non existant in Valkyria, are you sure you played it?

And that's using your admittedly crappy definitions for the genre, I really don't see how Valkyria is missing any of those.

Welkin is no goof-off, and Rosie is not pompous save for the beach scene. You're stretching the definitions to prove a point.

The story limits what you can do very harshly, unlike a WRPG. So it is with every JRPG.

There isn't a lot of cliches in VC, what you may consider as one is simple soldier camaraderie.

Your "save the world" point is legitimate.

You may consider these definitions crappy, but they're present in every profoundly-Japanese RPG such as Mana Khemia, Tales, Ar Tonelico, .hack and so on.

That's "shonen" stuff. That's like saying that Jiro Taniguchi or Takumi Nagayasu are not mangaka because they never draw spiked hair guys or horny little chicks. It's a very short sighted point of view, there's plenty of manga, anime, jrpg that are marketed to grown-up people and not to adolescent boys.

And even these will fall into some of these traits.

I forgot to add grinding.

some believe that wrpgs and srpgs are different while the one defines gameplay the other country of origin it is like comparing a pencil to an aeroplane

Xen said:
Booh! said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Skeeuk said:

its an rpg from japan.

So, if Oblivion were made in Japan by a Japanese team, turning out as the same game as it is now, would it be a JRPG? No. It'd still have nothing to do with the genre.

@Tor: That motive is the only reason people label it as one. It lacks general JRPG traits, having only the artstyle that fits the genre.

what traits?  What are the defining traits of jRPGs that encompass them all if not being an rpg from Japan and having a linear story?

-Stereotypical characters, such as the annoying little kid/hero with issues, the pompous girl, the old soldier, the goof-off and etc. Also present in some anime.

-"Save the world"! Plot with the villain embodying lots of negative emotions rather than some philosophy or a world view

-The story is very limiting of your actions, going into great lengths to shove itself or its moral down your throat

-Corny cliches such as the hero proudly announcing that he can fight this and that, thanking his friends, everyone talking about how their friendship is important and this and that

@ps3_jrpg_gamer: So, Anachronox, a western made-JRPG is now a WRPG just like that. Flawless logic!

Save the world becomes "save the country" which is perfectly ligitimate and has been in jRPG's before it just like saving the town in Persona 4.

The story is extremely limited in your actions, don't know how that's a difference

And that's using your admittedly crappy definitions for the genre, I really don't see how Valkyria is missing any of those.

Welkin is no goof-off, and Rosie is not pompous save for the beach scene. You're stretching the definitions to prove a point.

The story limits what you can do very harshly, unlike a WRPG. So it is with every JRPG.

There isn't a lot of cliches in VC, what you may consider as one is simple soldier camaraderie.

You may consider these definitions crappy, but they're present in every profoundly-Japanese RPG such as Mana Khemia, Tales, Ar Tonelico, .hack and so on.

That's "shonen" stuff. That's like saying that Jiro Taniguchi or Takumi Nagayasu are not mangaka because they never draw spiked hair guys or horny little chicks. It's a very short sighted point of view, there's plenty of manga, anime, jrpg that are marketed to grown-up people and not to adolescent boys.

in that logic 75% of videogames use the tse save the world thing,friendship so they are jrpgs what else i will hear in this site

Around the Network
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
Xen said:
Booh! said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:
Skeeuk said:

its an rpg from japan.

in that logic 75% of videogames use the tse save the world thing,friendship so they are jrpgs what else i will hear in this site

75%? Where did you pull that statistic from?

Besides, it's SEVERAL traits, not one.

Wasn't the name Jrpg meant to define the difference in style with other rpg's?
Not just because they were Japan-made... I guess the two somewhat intertwine, the japanese-made rpg's had a different style thus they called m Jrpg's because at the time the style was only used or originated from/in Japan.

weaveworld said:
Wasn't the name Jrpg meant to define the difference in style with other rpg's?
Not just because they were Japan-made... I guess the two somewhat intertwine, the japanese-made rpg's had a different style thus they called m Jrpg's because at the time the style was only used or originated from/in Japan.

Yes.

By this other logic, an American developer can't make a JRPG - while he clearly can.

to calm down the spirits why don 't we this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejr6DGM3tks

Xen said:
Torillian said:
Xen said:

Okay, first of all this is the most ludicrous definition of anything I've ever seen, and I once argued with a guy who claimed anime can't be sci-fi because it isn't realistic enough.

Now, first I'm going to discredit your preposterous definition, with obvious examples which break it, starting from the closest definition and getting progessively farther from it.

Final Fantasy VI; no kid/hero with issues, no old soldier, no pompous girl. Villain who embodied insanity, rather than any particular emotion. The story was a relatively minor part of the experience. Only with FFVII did story take over gameplay in RPGs. Friendship isn't mentioned once, and the main character is a woman.

Chrono Trigger: Everything above is true of this game, except even moreso the villain is not an embodiment of anything that all, the characters are even less cliche, and the story doesn't limit your actions much at all, as the game offers a great deal of freedom.

Persona Series: The characters are certainly an anime cliches, but you have tons of freedom as to how you develop them and their relationships, and the villain is not a concious embodiment of anything. More than that, your characters never resort to friendship speaches or anything of the sort. Plot is never about saving the world.

The World Ends With You: Anime cliche characters are present, but the villains are shinigami, death gods, who are simply doing their job. The plot has nothing to do with the world, just the main character fighting for a second chance at life. Friendship speaches aren't present. Story pushes you down a path, but then every RPG (J and W) does except the really shitty ones like Oblivion.

Earthbound: Do I need to explain? If I do I fear for your soul.

Super Mario RPG.... LOL yeah, I'm not even gonna bother.

Pokemon... I hope you're embarassed by now.

Now, and here's my favorite part of this post, allow me to show a game which does match your definition:

Mass Effect 2:

Shepard has plenty of issues and moral conflicts, depending on how you develop him. Miranda is the pompous girl. Zaeed and Garrus are both the old soldiers. Joker is the goof-off. Other cliched characters: Grunt the disgruntled badass, Tali the innocent nice girl.

-"Save the world"! Plot with the villain embodying lots of negative emotions rather than some philosophy or a world view.

Yeah you just described the whole plot of this franchise. Giant looming evil trying to whipe out all organic life. It's just an evil monster, no philosophy or worldview here.

Wow! You're a genius! You sure you weren't describing this game? Aside from sidequests you can only follow the story's path. The actions you take effect various things in the universe, but not the story itself, which is completely linear.

Oh my gosh it gets better and better! Shepard constantly talks about how "he can stop it!" and how "he'll save the universe!" Even mreso, Shepard gives a giant cheesy ass speech at the end of the game about how they're a team and they can do anything together. XD