By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Yes it is. 102 46.15%

No. It is not. 68 30.77%

Just let it go, d21. Just let it go. 50 22.62%

Total:220

Its an amazing game, probably the best PS3 game I own but it is not a JRPG imo.

Around the Network

Ugh, reading through this thread makes me wanna ditch the WRPG and JRPG definitions, and just go with turn-based rpg, action-rpg, story-driven rpg, srpg etc...

Torillian said:
Xen said:
naznatips said:
Xen said:
naznatips said:
Xen said:

And yet, some of these still fall into common JRPG cliches. I've NEVER said that a JRPG has to perform all of these, those are just some defining traits - all you did was provide deviations to my perfect examples of fall-ins into the definitions.

So no, I'm not embarrassed. ME2 is still different enough not to be a JRPG.

Dude... I just matched ME2 to every single one of your defintions. Be a man and admit your definition is invalidated, and that you need to not define genres by such ridiculous statements. A real man admits when he's wrong. Trying to defend such a silly definition after it was so thoroughly debased in every way is asinine.

I admit to being somewhat wrong, but as long as there are games that match these traits, I can't be completely wrong, can I?

Yes... yes it can! lol

I can say that WRPGs are defined by having a robotic/unemotional character in your party (HK-47, Shale, Legion), and by your definition that would be okay, because some games do, but obviously that's not an okay way to define the whole genre.

@ Kasz

Now you're just pulling stuff out of nothing. There's no evidence whatsoever that people who like SRPGs would prefer WRPGs to JRPGs. In fact that directly contradicts not only the evidence seen in the poll, but your own freaking argument, in which you stated JRPG fans on PS3 include it to boost lists. Well obviously they like the damn game or they wouldn't include it, and they certainly wouldn't be grouping it with JRPGs.

As far as WRPGs being tactical/strategic, the only one that's beein in the last 4 years that was remotely good is Dragon Age, which isn't even tactical on consoles cause they removed all of that for controller limitations. Of course there are western strategy RPGs... there are western Action RPGs too, and even western Turn-Based RPGs. JRPGs are RPGs with Japanese-style content, which differs enormously from the style of content found in Western games. It's a genre determination based on style, which has a large effect on the way the game is presented. All Strategy JRPGs share this.

As far as "none of these games being mentioned on JRPG lists before Valkyria" I suggest searching back through the old forum lists from 2007 or so. I believe you'll find you're grossly mistaken. I remember stickball making a 360 JRPG list which included that awful Zoids SRPG game.

Also you never answered my question about Resonance of Fate. JRPG or not?

I defined the commonalities, not various format-pushing deviations.

@Tor: You say that "jRPG's are about linear storylines usually with predefined characters" and yet you call my definitions stupid? That's two of my definitions worded in a different way!

predefined characters as in you can't customize them like at the beginning of ME, not like you're saying that every jRPG has the same characters.  and you idea that the story has little input from the player is fine, but that didn't differentiate your definition from Valkyria

@Kasz

you may giggle at the prospect but I find it a damn sight better then a definition that noone can actually define.  If you refuse to actually provide your own definition for what definingly makes up a jRPG then this is a pretty one sided argument where you'll just tear holes in my definition while staying safe behind a wall of not having a theory of your own besides "people call this a jRPG"

I'm not saying that all of them have the same characters, I'm saying that most of them build upon an existing skeleton and then input various differences.

forest-spirit said:
Ugh, reading through this thread makes me wanna ditch the WRPG and JRPG definitions, and just go with turn-based rpg, action-rpg, story-driven rpg, srpg etc...

Which actually would be the more correct way to separate them. I don't think that separating the RPG genre just for it's location makes any sense. Like I said before and people seem to ignore, is that why is that done for RPG's and not for other genres?

Why not a JPlatformer/WPlatformer or JSimulator/WSimulator? 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

made in japan and SRPG
so J RPG no doubt

↑ drawn by Tino Vainamoinen aka ex-NFG.  thx 

へんたい from japan, sorry.my english is suck,so plain english plz.  thx

Around the Network

Maybe this will end this argument anyway:

While I do believe games like Valkyria Chronicles cross multiple genres, next year every game will only qualify for one genre in GotY lists which I feel it fits in best, and that will be "Strategy" for SRPGs, not "JRPG." So there ya go.

lestatdark said:
forest-spirit said:

Which actually would be the more correct way to separate them. I don't think that separating the RPG genre just for it's location makes any sense. Like I said before and people seem to ignore, is that why is that done for RPG's and not for other genres?

A JRPG is an umbrella term for all the story/gamepaly differences you noted.

forest-spirit said:

Which is exactly what I'm getting at =) ditch the inadequate labels WRPG and JRPG.

naznatips said:
Maybe this will end this argument anyway:

While I do believe games like Valkyria Chronicles cross multiple genres, next year every game will only qualify for one genre in GotY lists which I feel it fits in best, and that will be "Strategy" for SRPGs, not "JRPG." So there ya go.

Forgive my ignorance... but does this site even have a "Best JRPG" category?  I mean most sites just combine JRPGs and WRPGS together right?

Which is actually the point I'm trying to make.  If you had an RPG and a Strategy classification for awards.

VC would go in Strategy.  Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy 13 would both go in RPG.

MLB power pros would go in sports... despite having a scripted storyline and stat increases... etc.

Xen said:
lestatdark said:
forest-spirit said:

A JRPG is an umbrella term for all the story/gamepaly differences you noted.

But gameplay differences that are too different from themselves shouldn't be noted in the same genre. That's like saying the Simulation and Arcade subgenre of Driving genre are the same thing. While they are racers, they are too different to be called the same thing.

The same thing happens for Valkyria Chronicles and, let's say, Final Fantasy. Story development may be similar, but there are too many extrinsical differences. Heck, item management alone on Valkyria Chronicles is closer to a game like Patapon than Final Fantasy.

I just don't think WRPG's and JRPG's should be a sort of mesh in which to meld games that have borderline similarities. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"