By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Yes it is. 102 46.15%

No. It is not. 68 30.77%

Just let it go, d21. Just let it go. 50 22.62%

Total:220

I don't really see why turn-based and action games can peacefully be JRPGs and still be divided into those groups, and strategic can't based solely on gameplay style.

I pretty much divide them by style and atmosphere, they don't have to be Japanese but they usually are. Magna Carta to me is a JRPG because KRPG is simply too geographic and Korea isn't really associated with those games so saying KRPG doesn't say anything. A MMO would be a different story, they are pretty associated with a certain type of those, and they are ones better known for them - to the point where some grindy anime-styled non-FFXI Japanese MMO is often lumped together with the Korean MMOs.

In the end though both JRPG and WRPG are purely review/fans terms. Developers/publishers call them just RPGs.
Then again Kitase goes and says that FFXIII is not a RPG. And it lacks a lot of the same things that VC does, and for the most part is just as guided battle to battle without exploration, NPC interaction, sidequests etc. Yet how many who know the term JRPG won't count FFXIII as one of those?

Around the Network
Xen said:

And yet, some of these still fall into common JRPG cliches. I've NEVER said that a JRPG has to perform all of these, those are just some defining traits - all you did was provide deviations to my perfect examples of fall-ins into the definitions.

So no, I'm not embarrassed. ME2 is still different enough not to be a JRPG.

Dude... I just matched ME2 to every single one of your defintions. Be a man and admit your definition is invalidated, and that you need to not define genres by such ridiculous statements. A real man admits when he's wrong. Trying to defend such a silly definition after it was so thoroughly debased in every way is asinine.

Kasz216 said:
Xen said:
Kasz216 said:
To put it another way. There is less difference between JRPGs and WRPGS then there are JRPGS and SRPGS.

It's why SRPGS never show up in JRPG conversations or even RPG conversations in general.

Until VC for *some* reason. You seem to have an issue with the genres in general, but your letting your problem with how genres are defined in general, which is a completly different matter.

VC and Disgaea 3, which is actually much closer to being a JRPG than VC is.

I haven't seen people cosnider Disgaea 3 a JRPG since VC came out really.  Which is another reason why I think it's "list wars" based.

Had Final Fantasy 13 Versus came out first... I doubt either would of ever been considered a JRPG by a lot of people who consider them JRPGs now.

To be fair too I don't consider Borderlands an RPG.  Mostly because the shooting is too good.

Much how action games that have RPG elements aren't action games...

but RPGS with crappy controls compaired to action games are considered Action RPGs.

There was this thread comparing PS3 and 360 JRPG sales in which Disgaea 3 was included, and I've seen it in a number of list wars of 2009.

naznatips said:
Xen said:

And yet, some of these still fall into common JRPG cliches. I've NEVER said that a JRPG has to perform all of these, those are just some defining traits - all you did was provide deviations to my perfect examples of fall-ins into the definitions.

So no, I'm not embarrassed. ME2 is still different enough not to be a JRPG.

Dude... I just matched ME2 to every single one of your defintions. Be a man and admit your definition is invalidated, and that you need to not define genres by such ridiculous statements. A real man admits when he's wrong. Trying to defend such a silly definition after it was so thoroughly debased in every way is asinine.

I admit to being somewhat wrong, but as long as there are games that match these traits, I can't be completely wrong, can I?

Or to put it one other way.

People who like JRPGs are more likely to like WRPGS then SRPGS.

There are Western made SRPGS... and they're EXACTLY like Japanese made RPGS.

Valkyria Chronicles is most similar to Future Tactics: The Uprising.

This was a PS2, GC and Xbox game that was developed by Zed Two. A UK company.

Rebelstar Tactical Command is a lot like Japanese SRPGS as well... but was made by UK developers again.

When it comes to SRPGs.  The western and Japanese versions are pretty much exactly the same.  To fold a SRPG into JRPG would be doing so soley based on geography... which is the dumbest reason to assign a genre i've ever heard.

It's like saying if a Ford is made in Mexico instead of the US it's not a car anymore but a motorized cart.  Even though it's identical to US made Fords.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Xen said:
Kasz216 said:
To put it another way. There is less difference between JRPGs and WRPGS then there are JRPGS and SRPGS.

It's why SRPGS never show up in JRPG conversations or even RPG conversations in general.

Until VC for *some* reason. You seem to have an issue with the genres in general, but your letting your problem with how genres are defined in general, which is a completly different matter.

I haven't seen people cosnider Disgaea 3 a JRPG since VC came out really.  Which is another reason why I think it's "list wars" based.

Had Final Fantasy 13 Versus came out first... I doubt either would of ever been considered a JRPG by a lot of people who consider them JRPGs now.

To be fair too I don't consider Borderlands an RPG.  Mostly because the shooting is too good. 

but RPGS with crappy controls compaired to action games are considered Action RPGs.

oh for fuck's sake, the reason you don't see people considering Disgaea 3 a jRPG now is because the argument has moved on to VC.  If this will help here:

I consider Disgaea 3 a jRPG just as I do Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles

now you can stop saying you haven't seen people consider those jRPG's.

Torillian said:
Kasz216 said:
Xen said:
Kasz216 said:

oh for fuck's sake, the reason you don't see people considering Disgaea 3 a jRPG now is because the argument has moved on to VC.  If this will help here:

I consider Disgaea 3 a jRPG just as I do Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles

now you can stop saying you haven't seen people consider those jRPG's.

What do you consider a JRPG.  Just any RPG from Japan?  And If so... why is this a valid genre?

If yonsider a SRPG a JRPG when it has little to no difference from Western developed SRPGS.  It's soley being done on a geography front.  Although where that puts Korean and Chinese developed games who knows.

Ok, this RPG discussion is turning into the "exclusive" discussion, so I vote for some mod to make a New Rule (not like Bill Maher XD ) about the RPG definitions...

My personal view is this:

J and W (Japanese and West): Locations
T, A and S (Turn-based, Action and Strategy): Battle Systems

Well, it seems I did well to drop off this discussion XD

JRPG conversations never lead nowhere, so it's best to leave it at that.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

it's an SRPG, but just let it go already

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1