By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Yes it is. 102 46.15%

No. It is not. 68 30.77%

Just let it go, d21. Just let it go. 50 22.62%

Total:220

I asked God for a sign and this is what I came up with:

Control 1 person, in real time, using RPG elements (ie: Zelda/Alundra): Action RPG

Control a party and use RPG elements (leveling up, quests, etc.) (ie: Final Fantasy/Grandia): Traditional RPG

Control an army, and battle other armies (ie: Valkyria Chronicles/ Herzog Zwei): Strategy RPG

I'm sure someone will break my definitions in about 30 seconds (or say, "who do you think you are, d21!?) and for that reason, I'm leaving this thread ignorant and happy!

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
forest-spirit said:
Ugh, reading through this thread makes me wanna ditch the WRPG and JRPG definitions, and just go with turn-based rpg, action-rpg, story-driven rpg, srpg etc...

Which actually would be the more correct way to separate them. I don't think that separating the RPG genre just for it's location makes any sense. Like I said before and people seem to ignore, is that why is that done for RPG's and not for other genres?

Why not a JPlatformer/WPlatformer or JSimulator/WSimulator?

A JRPG is an umbrella term for all the story/gamepaly differences you noted.

But gameplay differences that are too different from themselves shouldn't be noted in the same genre. That's like saying the Simulation and Arcade subgenre of Driving genre are the same thing. While they are racers, they are too different to be called the same thing.

The same thing happens for Valkyria Chronicles and, let's say, Final Fantasy. Story development may be similar, but there are too many extrinsical differences. Heck, item management alone on Valkyria Chronicles is closer to a game like Patapon than Final Fantasy.

I just don't think WRPG's and JRPG's should be a sort of mesh in which to meld games that have borderline similarities.

Which is why there are things like Action-JRPG, Turn-Based JRPG and stuff.

VC isn't a JRPG to begin with, so it's hard to compare it to FF.

d21lewis said:

Control 1 person, in real time, using RPG elements (ie: Zelda/Alundra): Action RPG

Control a party and use RPG elements (leveling up, quests, etc.) (ie: Final Fantasy/Grandia): Traditional RPG

Control an army, and battle other armies (ie: Valkyria Chronicles/ Herzog Zwei): Strategy RPG

I'm sure someone will break my definitions in about 30 seconds (or say, "who do you think you are, d21!?) and for that reason, I'm leaving this thread ignorant and happy!

I think you hit the nail on the head XD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
forest-spirit said:
Ugh, reading through this thread makes me wanna ditch the WRPG and JRPG definitions, and just go with turn-based rpg, action-rpg, story-driven rpg, srpg etc...

Which actually would be the more correct way to separate them. I don't think that separating the RPG genre just for it's location makes any sense. Like I said before and people seem to ignore, is that why is that done for RPG's and not for other genres?

But gameplay differences that are too different from themselves shouldn't be noted in the same genre. That's like saying the Simulation and Arcade subgenre of Driving genre are the same thing. While they are racers, they are too different to be called the same thing.

The same thing happens for Valkyria Chronicles and, let's say, Final Fantasy. Story development may be similar, but there are too many extrinsical differences. Heck, item management alone on Valkyria Chronicles is closer to a game like Patapon than Final Fantasy.

I just don't think WRPG's and JRPG's should be a sort of mesh in which to meld games that have borderline similarities.

VC isn't a JRPG at all, so it doesn't fit the example.

That would be a bit fairer, but I still think that separating by location only it's too simplistic. That creates a limbo for games that have no particular affinity for neither separation, like Demon's Souls.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
d21lewis said:

I think you hit the nail on the head XD

Wait for random person #3 to come into the thread and debunk him :P

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
forest-spirit said:

VC isn't a JRPG at all, so it doesn't fit the example.

That would be a bit fairer, but I still think that separating by location only it's too simplistic. That creates a limbo for games that have no particular affinity for neither separation, like Demon's Souls.

People who separate it by location rather than substantial differences are WRONG to begin with. JRPG/WRPG/SRPG = Gameplay/story/style differences. Separating by location would make Oblivion a JRPG and Xenogears a WRPG had the first been made in Japan and the second in the west.

If Sega call it an rpg and it was made in japan, quess what it is?

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

joshin69 said:

Just to be clear on this.  Nintendo calls Zelda an RPG.

joshin69 said:

So if a S-E america's branch ever makes a FF which plays exactly like all other FF's and has similar mechanics, it would be called a WRPG? XD

Current PC Build

Kasz216 said:
joshin69 said:

Just to be clear on this.  Nintendo calls Zelda an RPG.

Honestly? I thought it was shiggy's least liked genre.