By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Possible PS3 price cut?

CommonMan said:
I think no, but what does BHR-3 say? I usually just blindly agree with him.

ermm he said it will get one, so you make a thread saying you predict it will get one!!

{hopes commonman is gullible enough to fall for the trick}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Maybe if they do want to lower the price that much they can-
remove wireless
take away laser for blu ray movie reader (there are usually 2 lasers one for games and one for movies)
make it only a 60gb hard drive
take away ability to remove hard drive (removing the hard drive does take up space in the PS3)
maybe if they do this it can compete with the xbox 360 arcade (or the normal xbox 360 in general LOL)

If they do this they can probably price the PS3 at $199 maybe less (I dont really like this idea though because one great thing about the PS3 is that it comes fully loaded)

chuchy said:
If another slim comes out as rumored than it would be likely thr a price cut is on the way. Idk how long thought but the way I see it if it happens it would be at the end of the year or next year

Just to clarify, it's still a normal PS3 slim. They just changed a few internal components to slightly reduce weight and production cost. The average consumer wouldn't notice the difference. I believe one of them is already available in Japan with the new Torne bundle.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

For Christmas...

No, not this year

mM
Around the Network

not at E3 but I think there will be a price cut towards the end of the year.

Ssenkahdavic said:
I doubt it.

Wont get a price cut till they start to bundle with Move

-$50 without move
Same price with.

Something like that

This.

If they are really after the Wii's share of the market (casuals, soccer moms), they wouldn't be so stupid (now would they?) to introduce a Move Bundle for over $299.

It seems to me the "core" PS3 SKU (PS3 + Dualshock3) will be sold for 249 , and the Move bundle (PS3+ PSeye, both Move remotes, and sports game) would be sold for $299. Notice the Move bundle wouldn't include the DS3 controller (just as Wii doesn't include the "classic" pad controller) so if you want the whole PS3 experience (since most games will still need DS3 obviously and just few of the existing/new ones will support Move) you would need to buy a DS3 controller for an extra ~$40.

The  complete "Move Pack" or whatever they'll call it, would sell for 89.99 and that would include the PSeye, both remotes and a sports game. So if you buy the Move Bundle ($299) you're saving $40. (PS3 core + Move Pack = $340) but this latter equation will net you a Dualshock 3 controller too, so not really a loss just a different option.

The key point of the Move Bundle as I see it is Sony MUST match the Wii bundle, and it can't be above $300 or it will not entice the masses which will see it as a similar product. The PS3 Move offers 120GB HDD and free PSN network functions, not to mention Blu-ray, so if they take a bit of a loss and sell it for $299 (and market it very efficiently) I think they have a change to cause a stir in the market.

gekkokamen said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
I doubt it.

-$50 without move
Same price with.

Something like that

This.

If they are really after the Wii's share of the market (casuals, soccer moms), they wouldn't be so stupid (now would they?) to introduce a Move Bundle for over $299.

It seems to me the "core" PS3 SKU (PS3 + Dualshock3) will be sold for 249 , and the Move bundle (PS3+ PSeye, both Move remotes, and sports game) would be sold for $299. Notice the Move bundle wouldn't include the DS3 controller (just as Wii doesn't include the "classic" pad controller) so if you want the whole PS3 experience (since most games will still need DS3 obviously and just few of the existing/new ones will support Move) you would need to buy a DS3 controller for an extra ~$40.

The  complete "Move Pack" or whatever they'll call it, would sell for 89.99 and that would include the PSeye, both remotes and a sports game. So if you buy the Move Bundle ($299) you're saving $40. (PS3 core + Move Pack = $340) but this latter equation will net you a Dualshock 3 controller too, so not really a loss just a different option.

The key point of the Move Bundle as I see it is Sony MUST match the Wii bundle, and it can't be above $300 or it will not entice the masses which will see it as a similar product. The PS3 Move offers 120GB HDD and free PSN network functions, not to mention Blu-ray, so if they take a bit of a loss and sell it for $299 (and market it very efficiently) I think they have a change to cause a stir in the market.

Couple things on this: I'm pretty sure bundling what might retail for $90-100 with a unit that is right now POSSIBLY breaking even (or slight loss) wouldn't be a "bit of a loss". Also, where can I get a $40 Dualshock? Because I need another one and they go for $55 round here.

If Sony put themselved behind the 8-ball like this, they would put themselves back into the untenable "every console sold loses us money" situation that they just got out of. Why would that make any sense?

darthdevidem01 said:
CommonMan said:
I think no, but what does BHR-3 say? I usually just blindly agree with him.

ermm he said it will get one, so you make a thread saying you predict it will get one!!

{hopes commonman is gullible enough to fall for the trick}

*runs off to create thread*

Hey, wait! Are you trying to trick me?

CommonMan said:
gekkokamen said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
I doubt it.

-$50 without move
Same price with.

Something like that

This.

Couple things on this: I'm pretty sure bundling what might retail for $90-100 with a unit that is right now POSSIBLY breaking even (or slight loss) wouldn't be a "bit of a loss". Also, where can I get a $40 Dualshock? Because I need another one and they go for $55 round here.

If Sony put themselved behind the 8-ball like this, they would put themselves back into the untenable "every console sold loses us money" situation that they just got out of. Why would that make any sense?

Amazon for the Dualshock.

They have until Move comes out to do this (they have probably reached profitability by now, and I believe the only place they were losing money lately was in America).  Odd that America is the only real region with supply constraint isnt it?  

I think it is all moving to the point of the newer model that is upcomming.  It will be profitable (Id assume) at the -$50 (if they keep the harddrive size the same) by Move Launch.  All we know of Move is: camera + Move + Game less than 100. 

I can see them sell a console with 1 dual shock, 120g PS3 (newer SKU), 1 Camera, 1 Move = $299 at the moves Launch.