By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Possible PS3 price cut?

1337 Gamer said:
I doubt it. SONY is finally about to break even and is finally making profits i doubt they will throw it all away just to "compete" with M$.

You people see to forget that the real "competition" for these companies is to see which company can make the most money... not necessarily move the most consoles.

You're right of course, and PS3 has now achieved an install base where developer support isn't just going to evaporate, unlike not all that long ago. But it's also about sales momentum, re-establishing the brand that has suffered a lot this gen, and looking at what's right for the long term, not just the short term. All of those things tend to put pressure on to remain price competetive with the 360.

Sony can sacrifice some market position and momentum for profit, but sacrificiing too much puts the PS brand in a weaker long term position. The PS brand should survive this generation now that PS3 has sold a reasonable number of consoles, but it won't survive a Gamecube-like generation, which is what it'll face if it's sales momentum doesn't continue to be on a positive track vs at least the 360 for most of the rest of the gen.

Just looking at per unit profitability as how SOny should measure PS3's performance is oversimplifying all the things Sony needs to consider for the PS brand strategy.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

maybe just minor price cut like $50 to come with GT5 and move.

I think Sony will introduce Move as being bundled with every future PS3 that is manufactured.

This will include The PS3 120 gig console, the PSeye, a Move wand + sub controller, Move Sports game, and a DS3 controller all for the amazing price of $300.

they will drop the price of existing consoles to a clearance price of $250, and if manufacturing costs at the time of Move introduction permit, then Sony will probably stuff the channel with non move ($250) sku's knowing that the price point will sell like hotcakes.

The $250 sku's will sell out relatively quickly leaving a sku at the same price as before ($300), but now bundled with the complete move experience.

This is almost certainly what Sony will do if they are serious about the introduction of the motion controller, and I think they are. All of this combined with holiday releases of GT and... others (Agent, FFXIII vs. ?) will neutralize any affect Natal will have and put Sony in a real position to challenge Nintendo for the casual sales.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Not gonna happen any time soon I reckon. Sony's probably very close to profiting from the PS3 right now and they really shouldn't cut the price. They'd rather start making the profit and then decide when further price cuts are needed.

It makes sense that SONY will combat M$. M$ lowered the Elite $50 when the Slim was launched and SONY seems to be pulling a profit accross the board now.

My monies on yes.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network
ultraslick said:
I think Sony will introduce Move as being bundled with every future PS3 that is manufactured.

This will include The PS3 120 gig console, the PSeye, a Move wand + sub controller, Move Sports game, and a DS3 controller all for the amazing price of $300.

they will drop the price of existing consoles to a clearance price of $250, and if manufacturing costs at the time of Move introduction permit, then Sony will probably stuff the channel with non move ($250) sku's knowing that the price point will sell like hotcakes.

The $250 sku's will sell out relatively quickly leaving a sku at the same price as before ($300), but now bundled with the complete move experience.

This is almost certainly what Sony will do if they are serious about the introduction of the motion controller, and I think they are. All of this combined with holiday releases of GT and... others (Agent, FFXIII vs. ?) will neutralize any affect Natal will have and put Sony in a real position to challenge Nintendo for the casual sales.

^My previous post on this thread states something similar but I don't think they will bundle Move with every PS3. Not everybody wants Move and they will lose more money that way.

I suggest a "Core PS3" for $250 including just the DS3 controller. And the PS3 Move, including all you listed above EXCEPT THE DS3. Why? 'cause that way IT MIRRORS THE Wii Package side by side, and they can sell extra DS3 to those who want to play "classic games".

You know they will sell the "complete Move Pack" (PSeye, both remotes and game) separetely for those who already own a PS3 or whatever. My guess is they will price it at $89. You save around $40-$45 by buying the bundle if that's what you want (options, options), but you don't get the DS3 (for which you would need to spend around $45) .

I repeat again, the key is to drill into the Wii's Market. And the MUST price the Move bundle aggresively. More than $300 is a big NO. At $300 they have a serious case against the Wii and can't edge it with the right marketing, Blu-ray, Netflix, PSN free online, 120GB HDD < the Wii can't touch  that.

If Sony is indeed planning on putting in a subscription service, the additional revenue generated could offset part of the cost of having a price cut.

if they can't keep shipments up for consumer demands I don't think it really needs a price cut right now.

Check out my game about moles ^

PlaystaionGamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
By "we" do you mean you & your cat?

anyway no I don't think so.

LOL

LOL x2

Misleading title. Should be IS THERE A possible PS3 price cut COMING?

On Topic: I'd be extremely surprised if it was anytime soon. My best bets are Feb/March 2011 or Sept/Oct 2011.