By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Wii Play become such a big hit?

Wow, and I was just going to say it was cause of the pack-in controller. But that argument does make sense.

Bah!

Around the Network

It makes sense if you think the mainstream shares your game tastes. But since that's not true, then assuming that even the claim it's the controller makes sense doesn't hold water.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Fun.

I personally LOVE the tanks, shooting gallery, Find Mii and laser hockey games. Some of the others not as much, but believe me they have an audience. My niece and nephews have a blast racing on the cows and playing Pose Mii. Fishing is another popular one among the kids. I didn't like the table hockey one or the pool game that much. But I'm sure others did.

The controller argument isn't that good as a stand alone controller is cheaper. Why spend more on a game you don't want/need? And I distinctly remember we had a Wii Play shortage before during a holiday. There were plenty of controllers on the walls though.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Here's one possible reason, Can you think of a single retailer in the world that wouldn't advise every customer to get Wiiplay along with the Wii?

Why are people pointing out that a standalone controller is cheaper? It's a 10 buck difference and it comes with a game!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Here's one possible reason, Can you think of a single retailer in the world that wouldn't advise every customer to get Wiiplay along with the Wii?

Why are people pointing out that a standalone controller is cheaper? It's a 10 buck difference and it comes with a game!

I've been thinking this way too, but reading this article changed my mind somewhat. Wii games have sold largely on word of mouth, and I think that if Wii Play got a bad rep it would have been dead in the water and phased out a long time ago. Wouldn't you agree with that? So in some ways Wii Play must offer people some value for money, right?

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

It has nothing to do with rep, it has everything to do with being the perfect thing to buy with a Wii. A controller that comes with a game. Wow, you've just doubled your game count by spending a whopping 10 bucks.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Interesting.

You could refer to WiiPlay as a Wii game with a free controller or a Wiimote with a free game for $10 more.

I think it's hilarious people use the latter because it says volumes about the game.

I would agree here on this, and why it ends up being a game to have on the Wii. I saw that the tank game, and the pong game, and the shooting gallery game were in there, and it got me interested. They do bring back memories of the past games, and how it would be cool to have. I just wish they were 4 player versions, and not just two. A 4 player Wii Play tank game would be real cool. Ok, maybe my memory for the tank game is that it would be for 4 players.

It is also interesting to note what Sony has in Home for people.  Apparently to get people into something, you add "comfort" games for the system.  Wii Sports has Bowling, and Wii Play does have pool, along with some other games people are familar with and something weird like the Cow racing game.

LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, using metacritic to prove the game isn't appealing itself just shows you all still forget the mainstream doesn't have the same game tastes as game reviewers.

That alone tells me that the videogame review system isn't of much use to people.

d21lewis said:
Doesn't the Wii have a feature where you can look and see how much the average person plays a game (I rarely go on the Nintendo Channel, so I'm not sure)? If so, somebody check that out. If the game is played for 40 hours or something, then it sold because of the game. If the game is being played for an average of 3-4 hours, then it sold because of the controller.

Either way, most people agree that it is a mediocre game and it is already one of the best selling titles of forever. There are tons of $10 games. I think we know what makes Wii Play stand out.

The UK channel (can't be bothered checking others) says about 11 hours last time I checked.

11 hours is below average, but not rock bottom, there are many other third party game compilations (that cost 2-5 times the price) with less time spent on them.

Unfortunately Endless Ocean is around the same amount of time (I think people muct just complete the story) and I don't think Battalion Wars II is much ahead (I don't think people are even completing it... though the last 2-3 levels do take some practice, I guess people don't like the challenge)