By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Wii Play become such a big hit?

Why did Wii Play become such a big hit?

Wii Play is set to become one of the best selling games in video game history, it sold about 27m copies to date (which actually already makes it one of the best selling video games of all time). Wii Play has a Metascore of 58, so how could this happen?

“It’s a crappy $10 game that comes with a Wii Remote. People buy it for the controller, that’s all there is to it.”

I think this answer is to simple. Wii Remotes are also sold as stand-alone, so if the game is as bad as it is said to be, why don’t people choose the cheaper option? Additionally, three years after release Wii Play is still in demand. This suggests that Wii Play is perhaps a good game, so I should try to find a way to prove it. But since that is an easy undertaking for a critical thinker like me, I up the challenge.

I will show you how and why Wii Play offers more value than Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 combined.

“Wii Play is sooo primitive, how is this better than Super Mario Galaxy?”

What you see here is Laser Hockey, one of the nine minigames in Wii Play. Does it remind you of another game? Yes, Pong. That simple game was so popular in the 1970s that there were dozens of different machines build for use at people’s homes and all those systems ever did was playing variations of Pong.

“You know, Halo 3 has vehicles as well. Much better ones at that too.”

The Tanks minigame in Wii Play kinda resembles Atari’s title Combat which came as a pack-in with each Atari 2600. That console sold about 30m units, so there are plenty of people who came in contact with Combat.

“Wow, amazing graphics. This puts Metal Gear Solid 4 to shame. /sarcasm”

Wii Play’s shooting range should remind any veteran gamer of Duck Hunt, a title that came bundled with quite a lot of Nintendo Entertainment Systems.

“What’s the point of this history lesson?”

It’s supposed to help people understand why Wii Play is so popular. Look, it contains games that tenths of millions of people used to love long before video games went 3D. Even if the other six minigames in Wii Play were bad, these three shown in the screenshots above could easily offset that. What’s more important is that pretty much everyone used to play games like Pong, Combat or Duck Hunt when those games were new.

“But how does this make Wii Play having better value than Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 combined?”

People love video games and there are many gamers who would like to share their love for games with their family. The problem is that nowadays most games are hard to get into, especially if you happen to be a newcomer. They quickly put the controller down, because the games aren’t fun to them. Wii Play is a fantastic entry point to the world of video games, because the games found in Wii Play worked in the past and they still do today. Some gameplay ideas prove to be immortal, Tetris would be another good example.

Pretty much every hardcore gamer started with simple games, probably even you, dear reader. From your own experience you should know that most people don’t stop at one game once they’ve realized how much fun video games can be. Wii Play does a good job at this and at the very least it lets people enjoy what they love with people that they love.

(Yes, I know that Wii Play is only a two player game, but it’s hard to find a good picture of just two people playing because the Wii simply is so damn awesome.)

Wii: $199. Wii Play: $49. Playing with people that you love: Priceless.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Nice article.

And true.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
Nice article.

And true.

Yes it was, sadly not many people will read this and comment since it doesnt make fun of the wii or something but they should read it.

The only thing i would want to add is the that the billiards game was really good too and if you took the time to learn it it had a lot of depth and you could almost do anything you can on a real billiards table. I loved that billiards game.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

This agrees with what Malstrom has been stating about this game and many other Wii games. But I will add my own line.

Many enthusiast gamers today have this false notion that gameplay becomes obsolete, or at least becomes so when they decided it is. That's why they think of simple=bad. This is why they don't get these games. Their simple gameplay supposedly is a horse and buggy to the modern gameplay sports car.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I could have written that article much more succinctly.

Tanks!

Around the Network
hsrob said:

Tanks!

is that a real word and if so what does it mean?

vaio said:
hsrob said:

Tanks!

is that a real word and if so what does it mean?

It means, brief and to the point.

Actually, where I live the difference between a stand alone controller and Wiiplay+controllers is like....4$. That's about what Wiiplay is worth.

You know what's funny... I came to the same conclusion like 3 days ago. I mean the reason i like Wii Play is mostly the Tanks game that's a lot like combat... but I don't need to drag someone else to the 7600 to play it.

It's that for 10 dollars... it offers like 9 games of which are really downloadble content level games of which your bound to like a few.

For me it was Tanks, Ice Hockey and... now I can't remember the third one... pool maybe?

burning_phoneix said:
Actually, where I live the difference between a stand alone controller and Wiiplay+controllers is like....4$. That's about what Wiiplay is worth.

He's on the money. Where i am from they bundle wii play with a remote, im not even sure if its available seperate.

No offense to the op or his article but im pretty sure this is the case.  I used to work in a video game store (eb games, aussies equivalent of gamestop) and no one actually buys wii play, it is just bundled with the controller, and everyone with a wii has ATLEAST 1 more controller generally more