By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo doesn't make throwaway games.

Its a funny thing when you contrast the difference between what a Nintendo title generally brings to the table as far as content and the lesser selling games from any platform which you may like to compare them to. They don't appear to rely on gameplay or mechanics or even storylines which are only interesting for the player for one playthrough. In many respects the typical Nintendo release is a pure game in that they stand and fall on perhaps the most difficult craft of all, the gameplay. Value from a Nintendo perspective is a different proposition and replayability seems to be expected or otherwise they wouldn't even want to release the game as it wouldn't have enough content for the consumer to justify the purchase.

Contrast this with games which rely on a single use story elements or to shock / intrigue the player. They tend to flood the used market soon after release and effectively are treated just as rentals by a large proportion of the people who play them. You don't generally find many Nintendo games filling up places like Ebay or Gamestops used racks two weeks after release. I guess its one very good reason why Nintendo games sell so well. They make them so you never want to throw them away/give them away after you've bought it. This is a very good example of the values that Nintendo holds dear and one very good reason why they slap out 20M sellers like candy at a corner store.

So what do you think?

Tease.

Around the Network

Well games like wii fit, when people play it and lose weight, then they stop playing it but they could put a bit of weight on again and they will need wii fit once more to lose that weight. Games like NSMBwii and mario galaxy you get that feeling that you want to go back to it every so often, not the sort of game you play then forget about.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

^this

Also games like mario kart wii will make you want to play it again, imagine you only had one more gold cup to win on 150 CC, but you are kind of scared to do so because of blue shells and the such will stop you but you will always give it a go untill you win that cup, and there's the odd time you want to go back and play with a different character :D

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
Also games like mario kart wii will make you want to play it again, imagine you only had one more gold cup to win on 150 CC, but you are kind of scared to do so because of blue shells and the such will stop you but you will always give it a go untill you win that cup, and there's the odd time you want to go back and play with a different character :D

Can you lose a cup on Mario kart: Wii? On purpose or what?

Getting that 3 star rating is why you'll redo a cup :)

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Nintendogamer said:

I thoguht 2 star ratign was the highest now, since I had 3 star ratings on 2 courses but they've gone down to 2 stars for some reason :(.

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
Samus Aran said:
Nintendogamer said:

I thoguht 2 star ratign was the highest now, since I had 3 star ratings on 2 courses but they've gone down to 2 stars for some reason :(.

Nah, I recently got those 3 stars =D

Wasn't so hard actually, 50CC was the hardest imo.

Samus Aran said:
Nintendogamer said:
Samus Aran said:
Nintendogamer said:

Nah, I recently got those 3 stars =D

Wasn't so hard actually, 50CC was the hardest imo.

I thought this too until I figured out that you could use bikes on it.

On topic.  Yes, it's true.  Nintendo games live or die by their gameplay.  Usually they thrive, but once in a while they have a Wii Music that get's ridiculed and rightfully so.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

To some extend i agree, but nintendo is also giltgy of making sum throw-away games i.e Punch out and trauma center. not bad games but by no means are they outstanding.

That's ture, not that nintendo it's the only one to make games with a good replay value but it's not somehting that ,at this time, everyone do.