By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo doesn't make throwaway games.

There was a time, about two decades ago, when almost all game developers would strive to achieve the status of "not going to be sold next week" that Nintendo games have. For some reason, developers decided not to follow that path any longer right around when Sony entered the market, and started focusing almost exclusively on one-trick-pony games that nobody would bother playing twice.

I have this nagging suspicion that it was the same reasoning that causes many companies to be enraged at the Virtual Console, 360 Arcade, and other such services now, actually: quality games that have massive replay value remain in competition for the player's attention alongside modern games. The fact that some of these big-name titles are being outsold by games that were originally released as far back as 30 to 40 years ago has to be a sore point for some of the more egocentric developers, and probably also instills a fair bit of fear that the higher-ups will realize that they're basically burning money and disband their studio.

Basically, a lot of modern developers would much rather set the bar low and keep it low so people will keep buying "disposable games" than to continually raise the bar on their own productions and actually focus on delivering an ever-more-satisfying experience to the customer. It's the standard employee survival mechanism in a poorly run business: if your employer doesn't expect anything big from you, you won't have to try very hard AND you'll have good job security. That's the antithesis of how a business should run, and it's a damn good thing that Nintendo at least is evading that pitfall.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Squilliam said:

Cherry picking huh? I would say that more than half of the titles they have released this generation have good replayability/content, look for yourself:

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=245&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

I have no idea about DS so I didn't look at that list.

Wow, they released far more games than I even knew. How do you determine more than half of these game aren't throwaway titles?

Frankly, the only games I consider not throwaway are Smash Bros, Galaxy, NSMBW, and Mario Kart. Hence, the good Mario games. Everything else is pretty easy to find cheap. Many are probably no long published.

Its pretty clear then that we have a different viewpoint on this so theres no point in my arguing with you.

I'm not sure if there is anything to argue about.

Your theory is wacky to me considering Nintendo does have a fair share of mediocre games and titles barely worth a play through.

Some of the Mario games I can agree with, but that's about it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

freebs2 said:
Samus Aran said:
teigaga said:
To some extend i agree, but nintendo is also giltgy of making sum throw-away games i.e Punch out and trauma center. not bad games but by no means are they outstanding.

Punch out has 86% on metacritic with 63 reviews. Not bad of you ask me. I wouldn't call it a throw-away game.

If it had more new characters and a better multiplayer(and dare I say online multiplayer as well) it would have gotten lots and lots of 90+ reviews. The gameplay is certainly AAA in this game, but yes it lacks some things like new characters.

The review score it's not what makes a game a throwaway or not... I've seen a lot of 1run games reciving 90+ scores this gen. Puch-out has sure an AAA gameplay mechanic but it is also very short and it doesn't have difficulty settings, it's not a game that I would like to re-play so many times.

Have you played the game? After you finished it you have to defend your title against the same opponents you first beat, but they're a lot harder.

I honestly think Nintendo Gamers are just more loyal to their system and actually keep their games.

Cause you see some GREAT PS360 games as used games within two weeks on shelves.

Alternatively I bet that majority of PS360 gamers are teenagers with limited pockets so they trade in games to get other games.

Cobretti2 said:
I honestly think Nintendo Gamers are just more loyal to their system and actually keep their games.

Cause you see some GREAT PS360 games as used games within two weeks on shelves.

Alternatively I bet that majority of PS360 gamers are teenagers with limited pockets so they trade in games to get other games.

No, it's that Nintendo games hold their value longer than other games. This is because games like Mario Kart Wii, NSMBWii, Brawl, and Wii fit/sports/play have loads and loads of content that keep the players coming back for more.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

You don't see a lot of Nintendo games on ebay or gamestop cause they're gathering dust in the closet.

You can't use the arguement that because Wii games sell more that they have higher replay value. The Wii has sold twice as many hardware as the PS3 and X-box of course their games sell well. Also due to the lack of quality 3rd party games and having a 10/20 year headstart on Sony's and Microsoft's franchises of course their franchise games are going to sell really well. Just because a game sells well though doesn't mean people aren't selling them back for credit. In my opinion Nintendo games have the least replay value. Most games you can go back and collect all the extra stuff and play local multiplayer but a lot of their games lack online multiplayer (and the ones that do have online multiplayer lack the depth to make me want to play it more then once or twice), dlcs, leaderboards, trophies/achievements.

They are making games like it's still the NES era, unfortunately what made NES games fun is the difficulty and the limited number of continues.

Oh and I don't know what you are talking about, I see a huge number of Wii games in the used game bins.

This is only my opinion.

Samus Aran said:
freebs2 said:
Samus Aran said:
teigaga said:
To some extend i agree, but nintendo is also giltgy of making sum throw-away games i.e Punch out and trauma center. not bad games but by no means are they outstanding.

Punch out has 86% on metacritic with 63 reviews. Not bad of you ask me. I wouldn't call it a throw-away game.

If it had more new characters and a better multiplayer(and dare I say online multiplayer as well) it would have gotten lots and lots of 90+ reviews. The gameplay is certainly AAA in this game, but yes it lacks some things like new characters.

The review score it's not what makes a game a throwaway or not... I've seen a lot of 1run games reciving 90+ scores this gen. Puch-out has sure an AAA gameplay mechanic but it is also very short and it doesn't have difficulty settings, it's not a game that I would like to re-play so many times.

Have you played the game? After you finished it you have to defend your title against the same opponents you first beat, but they're a lot harder.

Honestly I still haven't finished it, sorry....I've still have to beat the final opponent (don't remember the name), now that yuo say so, I will probably go on and finish it.

pb1285n said:
You can't use the arguement that because Wii games sell more that they have higher replay value. The Wii has sold twice as many hardware as the PS3 and X-box of course their games sell well. Also due to the lack of quality 3rd party games and having a 10/20 year headstart on Sony's and Microsoft's franchises of course their franchise games are going to sell really well. Just because a game sells well though doesn't mean people aren't selling them back for credit. In my opinion Nintendo games have the least replay value. Most games you can go back and collect all the extra stuff and play local multiplayer but a lot of their games lack online multiplayer (and the ones that do have online multiplayer lack the depth to make me want to play it more then once or twice), dlcs, leaderboards, trophies/achievements.

They are making games like it's still the NES era, unfortunately what made NES games fun is the difficulty and the limited number of continues.

Oh and I don't know what you are talking about, I see a huge number of Wii games in the used game bins.

This made no sense

we are talking about Nintendo in general, not just wii games from Nintendo

and in that regard , even if they had 100 years Sony and MS can't catch up to Nintendo's evergreen titles, because they still don't put that amount of quality in their games.

Wii sports didn't have a 20 year headstart..it was totally new.

anyhow, do what you want. Nintendo games are a sure bet because most of them end up being worth your money, worth keeping. unlike MOST HD games, not all, but most

Lol
most of the people here only have wii's and dont have ps3s or xboxs
i dont think the wii is comparable with the other consoles. they have a different market. but players from both consoles(ps3 and xbox360) have the same likes. regular gamers and hardcore gamers. if you sum them up. there would be more of these type of gamers than wii owners. they are just split because of the 2 diff. consoles.
gaming on the wii is fun. but thats it.