By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So the Texas Board of Education may rewrite history textbooks... everywhere

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Dude the board of education already passed this

Oh shi-

Noooooo, I like my precious history book.

Well it's not officially ratified yet, but the motion to get these things put on that process of ratification passed like 10-5

Which is, pretty naturally, along party lines

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Dude the board of education already passed this

Oh shi-

Noooooo, I like my precious history book.

Well it's not officially ratified yet, but the motion to get these things put on that process of ratification passed like 10-5

Meh. It's not like school students will care that much.

It's not like we'll morph into big scary fire-breathing republicans.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

It's not even about political affiliation - this is actually kind of an attack on the separation of church and state

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

It's not even about political affiliation - this is actually kind of an attack on the separation of church and state

Soooo....

Taking a more republican stance on textbooks attacks church and state separation?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Soooo....

Taking a more republican stance on textbooks attacks church and state separation?

All right, fair. How about this:

Why would they want Jefferson made less important?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Khuutra said:

From what I understand and what I've read, it actually has to do with the fact that Jefferson was a professed Deist - and that if he wasn't a Christian then his thinking couldn't have been that important.

Yea, the Christian part is BS, but that does not bother me to much. In 100 years, I don't think that minor religion will even be around, let alone have any real power anymore.

No one is burning books here, so the truth will still be out there, it just might take a generation or so to get it back.

Yeah, I don't think you're really carrying the right tone here - there are changes besides changing "capitalism" to "free market", you realize.

The Jefferson thing is easily the biggest one, though even it is only symptomatic of something much bigger.

You know I am a big fan of Thomas Jefferson, but come on, it's public school. Half of the US won't even be in it.

Also, without question, the biggest influence in becoming the country we are today, came from John Adams. All I ever heard about him in High School, is he was the second president.

That fact is not lost because he was less liked then George Washington, and thus less talked about then him in schools.

Public schools suck. You want your kids to learn? Teach them yourself, or take them to private school. I am sure neither will be using the textbooks that come from this ratification.

TheRealMafoo said:

You know I am a big fan of Thomas Jefferson, but come on, it's public school. Half of the US won't even be in it.

Also, without question, the biggest influence in becoming the country we are today, came from John Adams. All I ever heard about him in High School, was is was the second president.

That fact is not lost because he was less liked then George Washington, and thus less talked about then him in schools.

Public schools suck. You want your kids to learn? Teach them yourself, or take them to private school. I am sure neither will be using the textbooks that come from this ratification.

If you are going to dismiss this issue because it affects the public school curriculum and turn that into a stepping stone for talking up private/homeschooling, just.... just take it to another topic, that's pretty much the last direction I want this to go.

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Soooo....

All right, fair. How about this:

Why would they want Jefferson made less important?

Well, maybe, but it's still more politics I think.

@Mafoo

I come from a public school. Guess I aren't learned.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Ugh. Historical revisionism and propaganda blows, no matter who does it.

Learning material should always be politically neutral no matter what - though it's kinda pointless to expect something like that in most cases.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Well Im not from the US, but I know what it means when you start putting a lot of attention to Thomas Aquinas.

Anyway, they should teach things in a way in which you can learn both visions of things or at least make kids understand that they have to know more than one type of historian and their visions, because the changes seem onesided and if they take that as absolute truth they will be seen in a bad way by most people. Its not the childrens fault they were born there.

Anyway, doesnt the US goverment have a ministry of education which can tell thse guys to go to hell in the name of quality education? I really dont know how it works there, if you cant control them in some way you are risking leaving part of your country lagging behind the rest of the states.