By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So the Texas Board of Education may rewrite history textbooks... everywhere

Khuutra said:
TheRealMafoo said:

You know I am a big fan of Thomas Jefferson, but come on, it's public school. Half of the US won't even be in it.

Also, without question, the biggest influence in becoming the country we are today, came from John Adams. All I ever heard about him in High School, was is was the second president.

That fact is not lost because he was less liked then George Washington, and thus less talked about then him in schools.

Public schools suck. You want your kids to learn? Teach them yourself, or take them to private school. I am sure neither will be using the textbooks that come from this ratification.

If you are going to dismiss this issue because it affects the public school curriculum and turn that into a stepping stone for talking up private/homeschooling, just.... just take it to another topic, that's pretty much the last direction I want this to go.

It just seems your all fired up over this. Make a list of what's wrong with our school system, and see how far down the list this goes.

Not sure it would even make my first page.

@dtewi

I did too. I went to school in Texas even. Got A's in every class though high school. The sad thing is, I played middle line backer for a school with a good football team (there is where the Texas part matters), half of the classes I got A's in, I never even stepped into. Good thing I am a smart guy, because I didn't learn shit in high school (other then how to disguise a blitz).

Around the Network
pastro243 said:

Anyway, doesnt the US goverment have a ministry of education which can tell thse guys to go to hell in the name of quality education? I really dont know how it works there, if you cant control them in some way you are risking leaving part of your country lagging behind the rest of the states.

We are well covered there. We have a federal education system that makes sure all states equally fall behind the rest of the world at a constant rate.

TheRealMafoo said:

It just seems your all fired up over this. Make a list of what's wrong with our school system, and see how far down the list this goes.

@dtewi

I did too. I went to school in Texas even. Got A's in every class though high school. The sad thing is, I played middle line backer for a school with a good football team (there is where the Texas part matters), half of the classes I got A's in, I never even stepped into. Good thing I am a smart guy, because I didn't learn shit in high school (other then how to disguise a blitz).

I went to a private school, my American History class was taught by our basketball coach. We played Risk most of the time.

And yes! I fundamentally give a shit about revisionist history. That is one of the things I care about.

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Well it's not officially ratified yet, but the motion to get these things put on that process of ratification passed like 10-5

Which is, pretty naturally, along party lines

Meh. It's not like school students will care that much.

It's not like we'll morph into big scary fire-breathing republicans.

It's not even about political affiliation - this is actually kind of an attack on the separation of church and state

Soooo....

Taking a more republican stance on textbooks attacks church and state separation?

Well, Thomas Aquinas has a way to "proove" the existance of god, he took everything Aristoteles(dont know how you say it in english) and made it religion.

I actually had a lot of classes that support him in my university(catholic university, its pretty neutral but I study laws so the political and religious trend is really marked here in some teachers), and everything he says is like the bible to smart conservative which find in him reasons to make some of their thoughts which most people consider extreme something acceptable and justified.

I dont think its wrong to teach it to you, but there is a thing that they wont teach you other modern philosofy that may proove him wrong, and Im in the University, Im 19 and already had a "neutral" education at home and my school so people can judge this better, but I dont think its correct to teach him as the truth in schools with little kids.

This is wrong, hopefully it get overturned...Mafoo I suggest you make a thread about Public vs Private school. It is another topic after all.

PSN ID: KingFate_

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
pastro243 said:

Anyway, doesnt the US goverment have a ministry of education which can tell thse guys to go to hell in the name of quality education? I really dont know how it works there, if you cant control them in some way you are risking leaving part of your country lagging behind the rest of the states.

We are well covered there. We have a federal education system that makes sure all states equally fall behind the rest of the world at a constant rate.

Well, you still have great universities.

Here in my country private schools blow away public education, there is a test(actually 3, math, language and science in which you can choose social studies or phisics/biology/chemestry) people take after they finish 12th grade and that defines which universities you can get in(priority), the thing is there is a huge difference between scores, like more than a hundred points in a 850 point test, and not only that, the top 100 schools are in the mayority private schools with the exception of high quality public ones that select their students from other public schools based on good results.

Education here is good on the south american level, I think second after Argentina but Id say that level is crap.

Im glad I came from one of the best private schools in the country but you can really see the difference with others, and it doesnt even consider english level which most private schools develop a lot(I learned a bit more since I lived 2 years in Alabama when I was a kid) and public school students really lack and suffer when they get to the university.

Khuutra said:
TheRealMafoo said:

@dtewi

I went to a private school, my American History class was taught by our basketball coach. We played Risk most of the time.

And yes! I fundamentally give a shit about revisionist history. That is one of the things I care about.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22994/22994-h/22994-h.htm

Read a history book from a while back, and tell me every book we have today is not "revisionist history".

TheRealMafoo said:
Khuutra said:

Read a history book from a while back, and tell me every book we have today is not "revisionist history".

So are you just trying to downplay the evils of revisionist history by pointing out that it's been done before (though serious historians do their best to revise historical accounts rather than events or personages themselves) or are you going so far as to suggest that revisionist history is the natural and proper course?

Or, God help me, are you suggesting that we had a better and more complete rendition of history decades/centuries ago than we do now?

Khuutra said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Khuutra said:

So are you just trying to downplay the evils of revisionist history by pointing out that it's been done before (though serious historians do their best to revise historical accounts rather than events or personages themselves) or are you going so far as to suggest that revisionist history is the natural and proper course?

Or, God help me, are you suggesting that we had a better and more complete rendition of history decades/centuries ago than we do now?

I am saying history is someones point of view. The reason the good guys have always won throughout history, is because the winners get to write the history books.

I care about someone using a history book to tell lies. I am not worried about someone using a history book to tell us the parts of history they want us to know.

That's what all history books are.

Khuutra said:
SaviorX said:
You a social studies teacher?

No. No I am not.

With how passionately you care about this subject, you might as well become one.

That Mama in your avatar woul be proud ya hear?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."