By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So the Texas Board of Education may rewrite history textbooks... everywhere

Khuutra said:
The revising out of Jefferson's importance doesn't even make sense from a conservative standpoint, the man was a titan of state's rights and was the face of limited federal government.

I just don't know

This has me completely lost as well.  I can at least understand some of the proposed changes from the perspective of a typical Texan wanting his conservative/country roots getting the limelight in school textbooks, as unjustifiable as they are, but pushing Jefferson to the wayside makes no sense at all.

He was a champion for true conservative beliefs (not to be confused witht he neo-conservative beliefs of today).

Though I suppose that may be the issue they have with the man.  He would be appalled by the actions of men like George W. Bush, and maybe they don't like that.

And given all the changes they're proposing, I'm surprised they included nothing about the so-called Civil War.  Attempting to undo the revisionist history by others would at least be something I could understand and respect.

Around the Network

On a small level, I like this.

The education system has been far to liberal/progressive/whatever you want to call it over the last 50 years. Things like free market and profit are thought of by our younger generation as evils.

It's time to stop that trend. Free market is what made this country the most powerful and respected country in the world. The erosion of that reputation has come from losing our way as a nation.

The irony here, is the only reason Texas is powerful enough to do this, is because they have proven there government values are better then California's, who right now couldn't buy breakfast at subway, let alone purchase books for there schools.

I guess the upside for Cali is, they don't have to worry about what will be in the new textbooks, as there kids will be using the ones they have now for the next 10 years.

makingmusic476 said:

This has me completely lost as well.  I can at least understand some of the proposed changes from the perspective of a typical Texan wanting his conservative/country roots getting the limelight in school textbooks, as unjustifiable as they are, but pushing Jefferson to the wayside makes no sense at all.

He was a champion for true conservative beliefs (not to be confused witht he neo-conservative beliefs of today).

Though I suppose that may be the issue they have with the man.  He would be appalled by the actions of men like George W. Bush, and maybe they don't like that.

And given all the changes they're proposing, I'm surprised they included nothing about the so-called Civil War.  Attempting to undo the revisionist history by others would at least be something I could understand and respect.

From what I understand and what I've read, it actually has to do with the fact that Jefferson was a professed Deist - and that if he wasn't a Christian then his thinking couldn't have been that important.

Khuutra said:
makingmusic476 said:

From what I understand and what I've read, it actually has to do with the fact that Jefferson was a professed Deist - and that if he wasn't a Christian then his thinking couldn't have been that important.

Yea, the Christian part is BS, but that does not bother me to much. In 100 years, I don't think that minor religion will even be around, let alone have any real power anymore.

No one is burning books here, so the truth will still be out there, it just might take a generation or so to get it back.

TheRealMafoo said:
Khuutra said:

Yea, the Christian part is BS, but that does not bother me to much. In 100 years, I don't think that minor religion will even be around, let alone have any real power anymore.

No one is burning books here, so the truth will still be out there, it just might take a generation or so to get it back.

Yeah, I don't think you're really carrying the right tone here - there are changes besides changing "capitalism" to "free market", you realize.

The Jefferson thing is easily the biggest one, though even it is only symptomatic of something much bigger.

Around the Network

Oh Khuutra, you are overreacting. Can't you make a mean-spirited Texas joke and move on, like all the other liberals?

Kidding aside, this won't make it past the Board of Edu-

Wait, Texas? Never mind.

(See how easy it is?)

Okay, all kidding REALLY aside, I doubt this will get approved by anyone. Its racist undertones and suspicously pro-republican stance (when it should be neutral) will get denied immediately. Unless Texas is really, and I mean really screwed up but I doubt it's that bad.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:

Oh Khuutra, you are overreacting. Can't you make a mean-spirited Texas joke and move on, like all the other liberals?

Wait, Texas? Never mind.

(See how easy it is?)

Okay, all kidding REALLY aside, I doubt this will get approved by anyone. Its racist undertones and suspicously pro-republican stance (when it should be neutral) will get denied immediately. Unless Texas is really, and I mean really screwed up but I doubt it's that bad.

How we should really be responding to this thread:

dtewi said:

Wait, Texas? Never mind.

(See how easy it is?)

Dude the board of education already passed this

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

Wait, Texas? Never mind.

(See how easy it is?)

Oh shi-

Noooooo, I like my precious history book.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

Wait, Texas? Never mind.

(See how easy it is?)

Fuuuuu

Didn't realize that.