By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the Wii already peaked?

The Wii was always just a novelty and not to sound fanboyish but Sony was right about the Wii its just now leaving its prime as with the 360

Around the Network

Has the Wii peaked? More than likely. Selling over 24 million in one year, probably won't be reached again, although it's not like not reaching that is bad. In 2009 it of course did over 21 million.

I think people look at this thing too vaguely. Technically PS2's biggest year was 2002, which in its timeline is equivalent to Wii's 2008. But just like Wii's 2009, PS2's 2003 was still a very strong year. Having a peak year doesn't mean death. Normally you have your peak level somewhere early in the cycle. Obviously something is going to be hotter when it is "fresh" rather than old. The point is, after your peak year can you continue to sell well. Wii was able to show that in 2009 and we'll see how it goes in 2010.

Of course there is the other case which may be a reason people look at Wii a little less and that is the DS. I want to openly state to everyone, DS IS not the case. This is selling like no other product in the video game industry ever has. Don't look to DS's sales as a comparison for Wii's sales. DS is something I can really no longer predict just by the randomness of its sales. I've never seen a case where something can sell 30 million in one year and then come back and match that the next year. Just comparatively, anything to the DS doesn't look as hot.

As for Wii in 2010, it is really hard to tell how it will do, but if anything is different it is Nintendo. During 2008 and half of 2009, Nintendo was a very fierce force on the market. They simply let their name speak for itself. Was very different from the 2007 approach they had. I have no idea if that correlates to Wii's slipping in the summer (I don't think it did) but obviously once Wii Sports Resort came out you saw a Nintendo like back in 2007 rather than 2008 and first half 2009.

Looking at 2010, we are still seeing this very aggressive company on the market. Steadily pushing out "limited editions" of the consoles around the world, namely the black Wii. Introducing new controller colors on the market, bringing the classic controller pro to the market, and then adding Netflix to the system in Spring. I expect this trend to continue, with more Wii channels announced soon, more controller colors, and of course a wide arrange of system colors. Not to mention, I expect not just the Virtality sensor to be shown off at E3 but of course another peripheral to be "bundled" with a big game either late this year or next year.

Other aggressive moves have been with their only 1st party lineup and 3rd party games. Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and Sin and Punishment 2 for the first half which are 3 games I expect them to push. Also, this leaves an entire second half open for big fall and holiday products. Out of all the 3 console makers, Nintendo is definitely setting themselves up to have the biggest 1st party lineup in the first half and potentially second half. Second half opens up for the vitality sensor game, other casual title (possible peripheral bundle), Xenoblade and Last Story, and then either Pikmin 3 or Zelda Wii as the big core holiday game. More than likely it'll be Zelda. Although if it isn't Zelda, Pikmin may not be a big enough title and might have Nintendo "hurry up" another project they have going on for that slot with Pikmin 3 (this is purely speculative on my part btw).

Then of course the 3rd party aspect, with Nintendo really pushing 3rd party games. Big moves for Japan of course include Xenoblade and Last Story, which I assume to be Nintendo's big first half games for the Japanese wii owners. For the later half, Zelda and potentially DQX. Of course it has been Nintendo pushing Japanese games in the West. Monster Hunter Tri of course is the big first half game, and obviously going to bring Samurai Warriors 3 over. I expect some more in that vein to be announced at E3, although I'm still waiting for Nintendo to really start doing some of these things with western developers as well. Obviously they have good relations recently with Capcom, Sega, and Square but I think they should start expanding their view to some big western developers, NAMELY Disney. Might see that offered up for Epic Mickey. Note, I don't think they are doing this out of pity, but of course money. Not to mention better marketing point.

So Nintendo really has a strong 2010 lined up, and if my speculation even has a little bit come true, the later half will be just as strong as the early half. As always, Nintendo needs to get over this shortage in America and obviously start getting some of those big games out in Japan to get some distance over the competition. I don't think Nintendo will be able to beat the peak year 2008, but if Nintendo plays their cards right, AND gets Zelda out this year, then 21 million can be reached again. Of course a pricecut might help, though I don't really see too many more buyers buying it at $150 as they probably would have bought it at $200.

Probably. But just think of it this way, at no other time in history has a console maker had so many sales pushing options right at their finger tips. If Nintendo wanted to, tomorrow we could see the following on store shelves

A Sports Resort and M+ Wii bundle (with one or two M+'s)

A Wii Fit Wii Bundle

A Mario Kart and 2 wheels Wii bundle

The Black Wii (no idea why this is important, but people seem to care)

Software bundles with NSMB Wii

Players choice eddition of some of the best selling games of all time.

All of this can happen without a hardware price cut (although the bundles would be much cheaper than their seperate parts) while also increasing the amount of periperhal hardware out there. Not to mention Nintendo is probably best positioned to offer a price cut if they wanted to.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

IT has peaked and taken so much from my wallet!

Kenology said:
Gilgamesh said:

I'm a little skeptical to think that a new Zelda, SMG2 or Wii Vitality would help hardware sales very much. Just like a new Halo game on the X360 right now would barely move any hardware because everyone that wants to play Halo already owns a X360 (just look at Halo ODST and Wars). So that eliminates the new Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Now Wii Vitality, that's the tricky one it very well could end up like another Wii Music though. I'm sorry but I don't really see anything that exciting about knowing your pulse? Maybe it does other things as well but is it really a system seller, will people that don't own a Wii think hmm I want to buy a Wii to be able to use Wii Vitality, I don't really think so. I think it'll take the same fate as Zelda and SMG2, it'll sell a lot but won't move much hardware.

You all made the same arguement with New Super Mario Bros. Wii... saying it wouldn't move hardware because Mario fans already had a Wii because of Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Paper Mario, and every other Mario spinoff game on Wii.

Look how that turned out.

I'm going to call the halo:ODST effect though. Everyone who cares about Zelda or SMG already has a wii, therefore sales will not be boosted by either title.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Don't trust people with an avatar showing an Austrian.

Don't trust me - have a look at the graphs yourself.

Yes the Wii peaked at the competition and saw there was NO reason to worry about them. Nintendo could take back a million consoles a year and they'd still hold a very comfortable lead over the competition for years. Hell, Sony & MS are trying to copy the WAGGLE controls from a "last gen. fad" just to catch up. Even Nintendo didn't think the Wii would do well last year so they scaled back production, if they didn't they could have outsold 2008!

But I'll say it just so people will feel better....... "THE Wii IS DOOMED"!

Gilgamesh said:
Kenology said:
Gilgamesh said:

I'm a little skeptical to think that a new Zelda, SMG2 or Wii Vitality would help hardware sales very much. Just like a new Halo game on the X360 right now would barely move any hardware because everyone that wants to play Halo already owns a X360 (just look at Halo ODST and Wars). So that eliminates the new Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Now Wii Vitality, that's the tricky one it very well could end up like another Wii Music though. I'm sorry but I don't really see anything that exciting about knowing your pulse? Maybe it does other things as well but is it really a system seller, will people that don't own a Wii think hmm I want to buy a Wii to be able to use Wii Vitality, I don't really think so. I think it'll take the same fate as Zelda and SMG2, it'll sell a lot but won't move much hardware.

You all made the same arguement with New Super Mario Bros. Wii... saying it wouldn't move hardware because Mario fans already had a Wii because of Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Paper Mario, and every other Mario spinoff game on Wii.

Look how that turned out.

??

Who thought that, obviously it was going to sell like hot cakes and it's a new different Mario game for the Wii, unlike Zelda and SMG2, which will be sequels. NSMB did wonders for the DS so obviously it was going to make just as much of an impact on the Wii. I'm not saying Zelda or SMG2 are not going to sell, both will sell extremely well, but it's not so much of a hardware pusher. Why would someone buy a Wii for those games when they can already buy a Wii now and get SMG1 and Zelda Twilight Princess right now?

You completely missed the point.  Practically the entire Sony collective and maybe a couple 360 fans said that New Super Mario Bros. Wii would not move hardware because of the reasons I listed prior.  That's essentially the same argument you're putting forth now with Zelda.  

The real question is will "Super Sockboy Bros" move the "Move" I think Poke-Me-Mon Raw will help sell the "Move" because of the Ben Wa ball on the end but who's going to buy a new system just to play The Legend of Kratos: Ocarina of Betrayal?

Soriku said:
Gilgamesh said:

??

Who thought that, obviously it was going to sell like hot cakes and it's a new different Mario game for the Wii, unlike Zelda and SMG2, which will be sequels. NSMB did wonders for the DS so obviously it was going to make just as much of an impact on the Wii. I'm not saying Zelda or SMG2 are not going to sell, both will sell extremely well, but it's not so much of a hardware pusher. Why would someone buy a Wii for those games when they can already buy a Wii now and get SMG1 and Zelda Twilight Princess right now?

First of all, Zelda TP was a port and doesn't compare to Zelda Wii. It's obvious it'll push HW.

Second, you could say the same thing for many games...why buy a PS3/360 for CoD MW2 when you could already buy one for MW1 and other shooters? But MW2 still pushed HW.

Why buy a DS for DQ VI when you could have already bought one for DQ IX? DQ VI still provided a 20k+ boost for the DS.

The same thing for MH and the PSP.

The same thing for the Wii and games like Wii Fit Plus/Wii Sports Resort.

The PS3 will also get a boost for Yakuza 4 next week in Japan.

This argument is rarely correct. SMG2 WILL push HW and so will Zelda Wii. I'll make a bet with you if you want.

MW2 boost was mostly with the X360 and that's because it was bundled around the holidays, and not to mention it set the record for most software sold in a week so obviously you'll see a bump. PS3 sales went up 26% but it's hard to say if most of that came from the holiday boost or MW2.

Okay let's compare both hardware sales for the DS with DQIX and VI in Japan only. The week before DQIX released the DS sold 55K in Japan and then when DQIX released it sold 141K, that's a 86K increase in just Japan or a 154% increase. Now the previous week that DQVI released the DS sold 51K and when DQVI came out the DS sold 72K for that week, so that's a 21K increase or a 41% increase. That's quite the difference.

What I'm trying to say if sure theres always going to be that first initial boost for any game that sells a lot but it takes a certain game (usually not sequels) to keep the hardware sales up like NSMB did for the Wii for example, it'll have to be a HUGE improvement to the first game.

@Kenology, I know what you said, and I asked who thought that NSMB wasn't going to move hardware, you say ALL of Sony and Microsoft fans said it wasn't yet I don't really recall anyone saying that? Like I said why wouldn't it, it's a very new type of Mario game for the Wii and it's nothing like Galaxy or Kart, maybe a bit like Paper Mario.