By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the JRPG/FF run over?

With the FF XIII bombing, and yes, I know people are gonna rush to it's defense and western style rpg's dominating the landscape.  Is it safe to say that ps2 style jrpgs (that I love the most, thank you) and FF are doomed?

Sooner or later a brands reputation will stop selling the product and will need the product to actually be good.  I think FF XIII being the only FF game to be considered bad might be ok for a while but the next FF must live up to it reputaion of past successes.

With Fallout Vegas on the horizon and pepole still playing Fallout and western like type games.  I think maybe we should be be getting ready to send flowers and cards to the jrpg/FF funeral hall.

By the way, FF X-2 and FF XII are my favorite FF games and two of my all time favorite games

Around the Network

Firstly, explain to me how Final Fantasy XIII has bombed.

Secondly, lolno.

rpg70 said:

With the FF XIII bombing, and yes, I know people are gonna rush to it's defense and western style rpg's dominating the landscape.  Is it safe to say that ps2 style jrpgs (that I love the most, thank you) and FF are doomed?

Sooner or later a brands reputation will stop selling the product and will need the product to actually be good.  I think FF XIII being the only FF game to be considered bad might be ok for a while but the next FF must live up to it reputaion of past successes.

With Fallout Vegas on the horizon and pepole still playing Fallout and western like type games.  I think maybe we should be be getting ready to send flowers and cards to the jrpg/FF funeral hall.

By the way, FF X-2 and FF XII are my favorite FF games and two of my all time favorite games

Dude, you could NOT have said a WORSE thing at the end of your post.

OT: No.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:

Dude, you could NOT have said a WORSE thing at the end of your post.

OT: No.

He says, after having played neither.

OT:

Nah, not really. Keep in mind, the genre is a lot older than the PS2 and has staying power out the wazoo. FF's popularity might be waning, but Pokemon is goingn strong an Dragon Quest is actually getting more popular with time.

The JRPG genre is as popular now as its ever been in previous generations.

FF's popularity is the one that is falling.

And by the way, 5 million sales is bombing? I know several companies who would love these kinds of "bombs".

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network

yes because selling 1.5 million week one in Japan is a bombing and 450'000 day one in America is bombed... also if FFX-2 and FFXII are your favourites then you really need to play FFIV, FFX and FFIX, and possibly FFVII but everyone says that and i was trying not to be predictable but yes play FFVII aswel then :) they are the best FF's. FFXIII i havent decided yet but its definately better than FFX-2 and FFXII which were diabolical in my opinion and most FF fans opinions.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I hope so

Huh, gaining over a profit in 1st week sales is bombing now. Jesus Mario must be the all time biggest flop by this logic!

Lodder said:
I hope so

You have no soul.

Johann said:
The JRPG genre is as popular now as its ever been in previous generations.

FF's popularity is the one that is falling.

And by the way, 5 million sales is bombing? I know several companies who would love these kinds of "bombs".

JRPG's are no where near as popular as they were in previous generations. WRPG's are finally gaining popularity and JRPG's are losing the grandure they once had. I've said it once and I'll say it again....JRPG's went on a crash course after the Square Enix merger.