By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3 Map Pack Community Uproar

Sell your copies of Halo 3 back to the store and buy Orange Box like sensible people.

Team-Fortress 2 is ten times the multiplayer experience Halo 3 will ever be.

We did the whole Halo midnight launch thing and everything, yet we played it for a week and promptly got bored with it. We're still playing TF2.

OnlyIsrael said:
Horse Armor

You can't ride that shit through Ironforge!

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:
if they make the DLC maps required to play ranked games, i'll quit halo 3

That's why my brother quit playing Halo 2 multiplayer (he was really high ranked and pretty much played it whenever he wasn't at work or watching basketball).

I recall when Epic had a fight with MS over having to charge for 4 (IIRC) Gears maps most of the Xbox fanboys seemed to side with MS since $10 for 4 maps isn't bad.  They missed what happens when a company finds out it can get away with something like that.  First time it's $10 for 4 maps, then 3 maps (does the forge map not count for some reason?), then it's 2 maps. 

I know I know they are in business to profit but with games that have sold over 2 million copies at $60 a pop, does it really hurt that much to give away the maps for free?  Especially since the improved multiplayer could encourage more people to either buy the game or not trade it in (thereby preventing someone else from buying it without paying you).  Each case of that happening is the equivalent of around 4 people paying to download the game.

I agree Smash Brother...but not everyone agrees...

Besides, there's still a bunch of whiners that TF2 only has like 6 maps...6 glorious maps...but that's all changing with user maps I guess.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Did I mention that the HL2 single player is infinitely better than Halo 3's as well?

I think the biggest problem is that Forge doesn't really do much for changing map structure. This is one of the reasons I'm glad SSBB will feature a full-blown map editor.

I've seen very few microtransactions which don't make me uneasy, and I mean because it seems like publishers have dollar signs in their eyes when it comes to this kind of thing.

The other issue is that it seems like a lot of this stuff should have been in the game to start with and that publishers are withholding it intentionally in order to sell it separately. There have even been cases where the content was already on the disc and they required you to have Xbox live to unlock it.

It's getting off on the wrong foot, for sure. It'd be nice to see a company doing this properly for a change.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

This map pack will be free in Spring 08 when the next map pack is released.
Just play CoD4 and the Orange Box until then, and then get both map packs for $10.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

sheesh,

"commence milking!"

Here's to hoping that more packages like the Orange Box come out.

it does seem a bit much the last map packs were 5 dollars for 3 maps, and 7 for 4.... hopefully like the forza map these will be repriced down maybe 600-500 points before introduction.

Really though i just hate points. are dollars, pounds, euros, and yen not good enough for you MS? do you think we are so dumb that we cant figure out the price

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

That price is somewhat exorbitant for what is being offered. I doubt I will be purchasing them. Thats how you voice protest you simply do not buy the product in question. However its not merely Microsoft taking consumers to the cleaners with Micro transactions. The Virtual Console for Nintendo is none too cheap for retread past games. I have played Sony games online, and they are strong advocates of micro transactions. Basically forcing their players to buy additional content to actually be competitive in their gaming worlds.

There are no saints to be found in this area. Microsoft is no worse or better then the other two. That said its a value call on the part of consumers. I would have considered it if all three maps would enhance my big team battle experience my preferred mode. However I would only get one map. I am not a terrible fan of the ranked matches, and I hardly experiment with the forge. The result would be one map for ten dollars hardly the bargain I am looking for.

Another poster said it best wait a few months, and get it for free. Would have been nice if Microsoft had given us a free pack or had made it a more reasonable price. Oh well your not going to get everything you want.