By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War III cost $44 million

I think it is pretty reasonable thinking that it took them 3 yrs and this is their first attempt on PS3 and they have to develop the engine and other resource on PS3 for the first time.. So i think that is really an awesome job by them.

So next project will be less than 30 million for them easily..

Around the Network

I have no doubts that this game will cover it's development and marketing budget and than make some more. Since Sony is the publisher, it should break even after 1.5 mil or so.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Kasz216 said:

Well unless your activision who interestingly uses the Niche titles to apparently prop up the HUGE IPs.

I think that was them anyway.

I think it's less to cover niche titles, and more to cover UNRELEASED titles.  Since what... only 1 in 5 games every get released that have money spent on them?

Definitely not Activision. WoW and MW and formerly Guitar Hero made almost all their profits.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Thats a lot but look at the money they make, GOW3 will sale 1 million copies easy, That is 60 million dollars, a 14 million dollar profit already, GOW 3 should sale atleast 3 million copies on the low side, so thats 180 million dollars, so they make a profit of 136 million dollars , Not bad , and I think the game will do closer to 5-6 million copies in sales.

Have to understand that GOW is a first party internal development project. As long as it makes any money at all, sony will continue to fund SMS games. It sells PS3s, it makes media, gets stellar reviews, makes fans.

There's a whole lot more profit here than you can imagine.

Also, any game developed my SMS for the ps3 from now on will be drastically cheaper with the engine optimized.

Around the Network

I think sony sell their games for about 35 dollar in USA and 35-40 euro in europe
its likely that they SHIP 2 million first week, so most likely the first shipment will cover development and advertising costs + make some profit

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

If games keep costing this much to make, soon we will be paying $70 per game. I only wonder how much GT5 costs to make?

^
60 Million Sony said and i think they have already covered that with GT5:P 4,7 million sold copies

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

I would buy stock in Toyota. With the stock fall as of late, the shares would be easily gobbled up for a good price and we all know they will rebound stronger than they started out (have already bought a good few of them at their lowest moment, did the same when Wachovia was selling for less than a buck :)

dino46 said:
If games keep costing this much to make, soon we will be paying $70 per game. I only wonder how much GT5 costs to make?

you know what ? If I purchase FFXIII (for example) today I will have to pay it ... 70 euros in France

price is already insane

my last game : Zone of the enders : PSX : 9 euros ;)))))))))

Time to Work !