By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War III cost $44 million

Some may see God of War as a priceless franchise for Sony and their PlayStation brand, so when it comes to budget it will probably come as no surprise to you that the most recent title, God of War III, cost a lot of cash to make reality.

Speaking in a video interview with GiantBomb, Sony Studio Monica’s John Hight revealed exactly how much, $44 Million dollars to be precise.

“We are stamping discs now, so we’re effectively done. Just got a couple of countries that we’re finishing up on this week, and we spent $44 million to make God of War III,” he revealed.

This got us thinking what could you buy with $44 Million Dollars? Well for one, you could go on a Real Estate binge like this kid did, or you could buy around 133,779 PlayStation 3 consoles, or if you really want to show off how about buying your own software company, there must be a few out there for that price.

So what would you buy for $44 Million Dollars as a gamer? Let us know in the comments below.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/03/08/how-much-is-kratos-worth/

Around the Network

it shows.

invest,the money into many thing's. like apple, IBM ,Microsoft , sony ,Nvidia, ATi.
hey a couple 1000 share's each would be pretty good.
:P

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

$44 mln is a lot of money but is not a lot when you look at the fact that this game will make probably $120 mln at least in the next 6 months.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Daaaaaaaamn, that's a lot of money... well spent money I should say

Around the Network

HOw does that compare to other blockbuster titles? Will this be worth Sony's investment?

Sizable investment, and one I think Sony didn't really mind spending all that much.

I think any big title that can keep their development budget between 35-45 million should do well unless they create a lemon.

According to this chart which looks to be more or less correct...

...it needs to sell 1.3 million units at full retail price to break even. 44 mil / 34 bucks profit per game.

It should do that with ease...

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

According to this chart which looks to be more or less correct...

...it needs to sell 1.3 million units at full retail price to break even. 44 mil / 34 bucks profit per game.

It should do that with ease...

It'll do that within the first 2 weeks of release, maybe less.

Yeah, I'd say profitable in 3 months...cause this doesn't include advertising budget...which should prolly add another 20 million to the overall cost.

That's... WAY more than i expected based on games like it... I mean the God of War games are generally seen as cheap because of the way the camera works and how it kinda forces the perspective.

I mean it should make it back... but it really enforces how expensive the longer games with larger areas and more complicated longer stories are.