By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War III cost $44 million

does this include advertising budget ? or not ?

because I have the feeling sony will heavly advertise GoW3 all over the planet

so between ads+bundle, it will easly go +50M !

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:

It NEVER counts advertising budget.

You probably also have to add marketing, support and miscellaneous expenses. Marketing could be significant as some games have a marketing budget nearly equal to the development budget.

Just making a profit is not the goal. The goal is to make a LOT of profit.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

as long as they make it back and then some, why not? lol.

End of 2010 Predictions (Original Prediction Made: Jan. 1, 2010---Revised April 1, 2010---Revised Again July 1, 2010---Revised Again on Nov. 1, 2010)

PS3: 46 MIL (April Revision: 44 MIL, July Revision 43 MIL, Nov. Revision 45MIL)

360: 44 MIL (April Revision: 46 MIL, July Revision: 48 MIL, Nov. Revision 49MIL)

WII: 82 MIL (Apr. Revision: 84 MIL, Jul. Revision: 82 MIL, Nov. Revision: 82MIL)

THE MUST BUY LIST of 2010: Gran Turismo 5

THE BOUGHT LIST of 2010: White Knight Chrnociles, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Modnation Racers, Sports Champions

Kasz216 said:
libellule said:

It NEVER counts advertising budget.

well, I remember MW2 budget was like : 45M for a 2 year developpement game (+ no new engine developped)

final cost (dev+marketing+distribution) : 200M   !!!!!!!!!!!

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/business/fi-ct-duty18

Time to Work !

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:

You probably also have to add marketing, support and miscellaneous expenses. Marketing could be significant as some games have a marketing budget nearly equal to the development budget.

The goal is to make money. God of War will do that.

Premier franchises are expected to make enough to cover losses on less successful projects and projects in development which are not making money and enough to reward investors. Especially investors, because if a company doesn't make a lot of profit, then they will put their money elsewhere where they think they can make a lot of profit.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

GOW III will probably make double that amount within the first year with ease, which will make it a pretty good investment.

GOW Collection probably covered a good chunk of that.

kowenicki said:
Grimes said:
CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:

The goal is to make money. God of War will do that.

Premier franchises are expected to make enough to cover losses on less successful projects and projects in development which are not making money and enough to reward investors.

Agreed...

If a studio or publisher doesnt make a LOT of profit from a major release then it has problems. Those big games subsidise the smaller more niche titles.

Well unless your activision who interestingly uses the Niche titles to apparently prop up the HUGE IPs.

I think that was them anyway.

I think it's less to cover niche titles, and more to cover UNRELEASED titles.  Since what... only 1 in 5 games every get released that have money spent on them?

Hmm probaby will cost about $80-100M in terms of both development cost and advertising. If you consider a world wide release, marketing, paying reviewers off, TV spots, static media like bus shelters etc, the typical big budget expenses for every hyped current generation game. The break even point is probably somewhere a little north of 2M copies.

Im basing the advertising expenditure on some known games advertising budgets which have garnered far less publicity and exposure which cost $15-25M USD and I expect the marketing for this game to be much more prolific.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?