By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CING files for bankruptcy (Hotel Dusk, Little King's Story)

That's really sad.

The day the Another Code sequel was announced as Wii retail game I already had the feeling it wasn't a good decision. I think Cinq should have either stayed on DS or switched to Wiiware with their adventure games instead. Omitting voice acting was another bad design decision.

You can't make money with classic point&click adventure games these days, if it's not a remake of a LucasArts classic or a borrowed LucasArts franchise (see Telltale).

The best European p&c adventure developers for PC, who are still making retail games, are struggling either. Some of them make better games than Telltale (especially Daedalic and Péndulo), but not many people buy them and publishers only advertise them in a few countries, if at all.

The classic adventure game genre (i.e. adventure games with an inventory) will not die, but I think it will only survive via download services.

Despite all the hopes we had with DS/Wii/PC as three possible platforms for p&c adventure games, imo this generation proved that this specific genre has no future anymore in retail.

Around the Network
okr said:
That's really sad.

The day the Another Code sequel was announced as Wii retail game I already had the feeling it wasn't a good decision. I think Cinq should have either stayed on DS or switched to Wiiware with their adventure games instead. Omitting voice acting was another bad design decision.

You can't make money with classic point&click adventure games these days, if it's not a remake of a LucasArts classic or a borrowed LucasArts franchise (see Telltale).

The best European p&c adventure developers for PC, who are still making retail games, are struggling either. Some of them make better games than Telltale (especially Daedalic and Péndulo), but not many people buy them and publishers only advertise them in a few countries, if at all.

The classic adventure game genre (i.e. adventure games with an inventory) will not die, but I think it will only survive via download services.

Despite all the hopes we had with DS/Wii/PC as three possible platforms for p&c adventure games, imo this generation proved that this specific genre has no future anymore in retail.

Well in fairness the Ace Attorney games do pretty well for themselves.

makingmusic476 said:
Sadly, I'm not surprised. Sucks though. =/

Its your fault!

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Their games took way too long to get outside of Japan, IMO.
I was interested in Trace Memory Wii but how long have we waited?

Well I loved and have the first Hotel Dusk. LKS wasn't my type of game to be honest.

I hope Hotel Dusk 2 gets localized though :(

I thought they were a Nintendo 2nd party.

Around the Network

In my opinion, the majority of game developers should rely less on budget and more on creativity.

Khuutra said:
okr said:
That's really sad.

Well in fairness the Ace Attorney games do pretty well for themselves.

When I wrote my post, I already knew someone would bring up one of these three franchises: Ace Attorney, Prof. Layton or even Heavy Rain.

Ace Attorney does belong to the adventure genre, but not to the classic point&click adventure genre imo and it belongs to and is supported by one of Japan's bigger game companies (support of this franchise is already being reduced though, as Miles Edgeworth was not localized for non-English speaking countries, afaik, which will hurt its sales).

If Cinq would've understood the worldwide p&c market as well as Telltale does, they would have switched to one or several of the many available download services with their games.

masschamber said:
Carl2291 said:
Naum said:
Carl2291 said:
Looks like Wii/DS development isn't as great as some people make it out to be.

Just imagine how much more money they would have lost if they had focused on PsP/PS3.

Probably wouldn't have made as many games.

But we know how Sony like to help the smaller developers on PS systems. So things could have been a bit different...

I'm glad I uploaded this, it works so pefectly on you,

anyway you mean like NIS, Factor 5, and Free Radical,

considering Nintendo published another code and hotel dusk I doubt sony could do more

http://games.ign.com/articles/995/995409p1.html

many small devs are drowning there due to the HD twins plus with the drop in venture capital expect more studios to collapse under the weight of the current financial situation.

so far 2 heavy wii/ds supporting companies are having trouble, CING and Marvelous, as opposed to basically the rest of the idustries financial woes which should be blamed squarely on the unsustainable market model of the HD twins judging by the comments in the article below,

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=101987&page=1&str=1814859514#

I obviously need new material. Might start picking on the 360, the Ninty fans are way too knowlegable.

Anyway, CING and Marvelous are 2 companies who aren't (weren't) making shovelware. Maybe developers need to put more shovelware (and less "core" games) on Wii to succeed?

It is sad, i hope they can find angels inversors so can stand up again : (

I feel guilty that I still haven't picked up Little King's Story. :(

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)