By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CING files for bankruptcy (Hotel Dusk, Little King's Story)

Carl2291 said:
masschamber said:
Carl2291 said:
Naum said:
Carl2291 said:
Looks like Wii/DS development isn't as great as some people make it out to be.

Just imagine how much more money they would have lost if they had focused on PsP/PS3.

Probably wouldn't have made as many games.

But we know how Sony like to help the smaller developers on PS systems. So things could have been a bit different...

I'm glad I uploaded this, it works so pefectly on you,

anyway you mean like NIS, Factor 5, and Free Radical,

considering Nintendo published another code and hotel dusk I doubt sony could do more

http://games.ign.com/articles/995/995409p1.html

many small devs are drowning there due to the HD twins plus with the drop in venture capital expect more studios to collapse under the weight of the current financial situation.

so far 2 heavy wii/ds supporting companies are having trouble, CING and Marvelous, as opposed to basically the rest of the idustries financial woes which should be blamed squarely on the unsustainable market model of the HD twins judging by the comments in the article below,

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=101987&page=1&str=1814859514#

I obviously need new material. Might start picking on the 360, the Ninty fans are way too knowlegable.

Anyway, CING and Marvelous are 2 companies who aren't (weren't) making shovelware. Maybe developers need to put more shovelware (and less "core" games) on Wii to succeed?

C'mon Carl. You know as well as I do that the 'Shovelware Well' ran dry mid-2009 for the Wii.

The shovelware Cing could have possibly made would have sold the same amount, if not much worse than their previous Wii title. Part of the reason you have 1 low quality/shovelware game out of 75 sell a million is because it is advertised well at a low price. They would not be able to advertise their shovelware game either so they would lose money again and harm their brand name/reputation.

Brand name probably doesn't matter at this point (bankruptcy) but still...

And I'd rather not get into the core/hardcore justification argument.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
masschamber said:

considering Nintendo published another code and hotel dusk I doubt sony could do more

many small devs are drowning there due to the HD twins plus with the drop in venture capital expect more studios to collapse under the weight of the current financial situation.

so far 2 heavy wii/ds supporting companies are having trouble, CING and Marvelous, as opposed to basically the rest of the idustries financial woes which should be blamed squarely on the unsustainable market model of the HD twins judging by the comments in the article below,

I obviously need new material. Might start picking on the 360, the Ninty fans are way too knowlegable.

Anyway, CING and Marvelous are 2 companies who aren't (weren't) making shovelware. Maybe developers need to put more shovelware (and less "core" games) on Wii to succeed?

Carl, you know this ain't right...

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
masschamber said:

I can see that they don't ALL have to do it, but it is definately a better choice than going bankrupt.

Companies that provide a ton of rubbish on Wii seem to be doing well. 2 developers who are putting (some) new core IP's on the system are having trouble.

Now making a cheaper, easier to develop casual orientated game and then having a bit more money to advertise it... Could have made them some decent profit to go towards, for example, Little King's Story 2 + Advertising.

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

I can see that they don't ALL have to do it, but it is definately a better choice than going bankrupt.

Companies that provide a ton of rubbish on Wii seem to be doing well. 2 developers who are putting (some) new core IP's on the system are having trouble.

Now making a cheaper, easier to develop casual orientated game and then having a bit more money to advertise it... Could have made them some decent profit to go towards, for example, Little King's Story 2 + Advertising.

Why assume that shovelware automatically turns a profit? Cite some figures, first, then we can talk about this.

And don't equate "mainstream" (or casual, if you prefer) with "shovelware", that creates a false dichotomy between mainstream and "real" games.

And don't argue this with "could have" either. "Ifs" have no place in this discussion!

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

Why assume that shovelware automatically turns a profit? Cite some figures, first, then we can talk about this.

And don't equate "mainstream" (or casual, if you prefer) with "shovelware", that creates a false dichotomy between mainstream and "real" games.

And don't argue this with "could have" either. "Ifs" have no place in this discussion!

I refuse to get facts to back up my arguement.

What do you take me for? Some kind of person who thinks before posting?! Pfft. IF!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's not surprising in the least but

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

As soon as I saw the thread title, I literally yelled the exact same thing... V_V

I can't understand how a developer can rack up such big losses in a few years. They shouldn't do projects unless funded by publishers - or self publish. Doing anything else, is a recipe for failure.

Sure, if you can't get projects signed... but these guys had big IP titles released, with more on the way.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
I can't understand how a developer can rack up such big losses in a few years. They shouldn't do projects unless funded by publishers - or self publish. Doing anything else, is a recipe for failure.

Sure, if you can't get projects signed... but these guys had big IP titles released, with more on the way.

What are you talking about?  2.5 mil in liabilities is nothing in today's times.  their rent & staff salaries alone were probably several million a month.  just looks like they couldn't debt finance their way out of their low cash

Aww man. That's sad. And I just bought LKS last week, too! Too little too late, I guess. I wonder what'll become of the Last Window now? I hope we'll still get it here in the West, since it's already out in Japan...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

feel sorry for CING, i actually love another code series. Little King's Story not so much