By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

Turning off the ad blocker boss :)

Around the Network

I'd like to ask everyone that now uses adblocker if before they used it they were getting virus and malicious code warnings from their antivirus, or indeed like me something was installed without them even clicking on anything?

I'd also like to know from people who don't use any adblocker whether or not they have had any warnings within the last few months or been infected due to ths site?

It's fair enough if you feel the site is losing money because of ad blocker but if a user gets malicious code from your site are you prepared to pay for the problem to be fixed if that user is inexperienced in dealing with such problems?

With the restaurant analogy, it's true I wouldnt expect free food but if the stick something in the food that should be there, I'm going to ask for a refund and/or compensation!

Another thing I'd like to add. I NEVER block adds. I simply don't because if a site has enough adds that would make me feel uncomfortable, I will simply stop using that site. It's like going to a concert and not paying for the tickets. If the tickets are too expensive, too bad, I won't go.

ioi said:

With the restaurant analogy, it's true I wouldnt expect free food but if the stick something in the food that should be there, I'm going to ask for a refund and/or compensation!

Of course but to continue the analogy you wouldn't expect your food to be free next time you go back to the restaurant (assuming you do) or to extend it even further you wouldn't expect everyone else to be able to go and get their food for free just because you had one isolated issue of food poisoning there a year ago...

I wouldn't go back to an establishment that put my health at risk and I guess the equivalent of 'not going back' for me after being infected by the ads on a website, is ad blocker.

But I have asked, without reply so far, people that don't use ad blocker whether the problem still exists.

At one point, although I admit it was well over a year ago, I was receiving warnings almost every visit

STEKSTAV said:
Dont get me wrong, im looking at you thekitchensink, i dont mind if you shut out your users to turn a profit. Profit is the only thing that matters. As i said a few post back, if you feel that shutting down X amount of users in order to turn a profit, than fine by me, go ahead.

The issue here is that under no circumstances do you go out and tell your "share holders" that its their fault that your company is in the red. And that they're theifs for using the companys water cooler.

Um... if shareholders started stealing from my company, which I've already proven is equivalent to this situation in the post that you decided not to try to rebut, then damn straight I'd tell them that it's their fault.

Good day to you, sir.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

@ llewdebkram

I live in Denmark, and I have not had an issue with the ads for a very long time. I have had one with noise in once or twice over the last few months, but that was it

Is it financially impossible to run the site without the revenue from everyone having adverts? Im just wondering because if thats the case i expect we will see other sites implementing bans on ad blockers. Or is that not the case?

pearljammer said:

I completely empathize with ioi's situation here and, unintentionally, do my part in not blocking ads.
However, I don't think an appropriate tone is set in calling many of your daily forum-goers, in essence, thieves.

I thought this was brought to our attention both in a professional and potentially productive manner. Though I'm unsure going this route (calling many - thieves) will prove to be productive at all.

The article is even sure to mention early on that it has no intention on assuming this is neither immoral nor would it be stealing.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should all, in light of this article, be doing our part here. But calling your userbase thieves is definitely not going to help in motivating others to click their ad-blockers off.

I hate to quote myself but the fact that this wasn't really addressed is somewhat worrisome to me as a member of this community.

Am I right to believe that the community manager, of all people, thinks of many of his members as thieves?

Again, ioi, I empathize with you here and very much agree with you. However, with thekitchensink going as far as calling people thieves for something that would likely be better referred to as non-contributers or simply ungrateful (once made aware, of course) is actually quite alarming.

thekitchensink said:
STEKSTAV said:
Dont get me wrong, im looking at you thekitchensink, i dont mind if you shut out your users to turn a profit. Profit is the only thing that matters. As i said a few post back, if you feel that shutting down X amount of users in order to turn a profit, than fine by me, go ahead.

The issue here is that under no circumstances do you go out and tell your "share holders" that its their fault that your company is in the red. And that they're theifs for using the companys water cooler.

Um... if shareholders started stealing from my company, which I've already proven is equivalent to this situation in the post that you decided not to try to rebut, then damn straight I'd tell them that it's their fault.

Good day to you, sir.

However it isn't stealing.  Not by a stretch of ANY imagination is it stealing.

llewdebkram said:

I'd like to ask everyone that now uses adblocker if before they used it they were getting virus and malicious code warnings from their antivirus, or indeed like me something was installed without them even clicking on anything?

I'd also like to know from people who don't use any adblocker whether or not they have had any warnings within the last few months or been infected due to ths site?

It's fair enough if you feel the site is losing money because of ad blocker but if a user gets malicious code from your site are you prepared to pay for the problem to be fixed if that user is inexperienced in dealing with such problems?

I had a malware attack just today, but I live in the US where it appears to be much worse....

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS