By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

Nvm spoke to soon, Evony is still around, with new more disturbing ad's no less.

Around the Network
epicurean said:
ioi said:
phxprovost said:

Personally i would like to know when exactly it became my moral responsibility to look at all the ads that sites are willing to throw at me. Last time i checked its not my problem if your overwhelming revenue takes a small hit because i value my pc's health and maintaining my ISP bill. Honestly if sites want to start locking content from those who do not view adds then by all means go for it but dont be surprised by the outcome in that war of attrition when people leave your sites in droves

Nobody is asking you to look at the ads, I'm saying that technically you don't have the right to block them from showing (even though you can).

As I've directly commented, the health of your PC and not spreading malware or viruses is of prime importance to everyone who runs VGChartz. Whether you believe it or not, the occasional issues we have are no more frequent than on any other site.

As for blocking users with adblockers, since those users are already blocking ads anyway we'd be no worse off from a financial point of view - obviously it would be a shame from a personal point of view to lose certain users but you'd hope that those serious enough about the site would either disable their adblocker or pay to have ads removed...

I'm honestly not trying to be confrontational, but when you said "the occasional issues we have are no more frequent than on any other site", all I can say is that in the US, at least where I live, this is simply not true.  Over that past year, I have had more problems/attacks on my computer from this site than from every other site I go to combined.  And its not even close.

I say that not to be mean, or be on the "ad-blockers" side, but simply with the hope that you realize that there really is a problem with the ads in Americaon this site. 

It seems like the worst of it is in the US. I wish I knew what it was here that is causing it

ioi said:
phxprovost said:

Its not in there but this is "You may be exposed to content that you find offensive, indecent, or objectionable or that is inaccurate, and you bear all risks associated with accessing or using that content."
So pretty much according to the admin here not only do you not have the right to block an ad, its completely your responsibility if that ad has malware in it and messes up your pc, or if you find the ad offensive you simply have to deal with it

Correct. Now you understand how visiting a website works.

If you say so, but until the day a lawyer shows up at my door and shoves paperwork in my face ill continue to browse the internet the way i do.  I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here kind sir

phxprovost said:
ioi said:
phxprovost said:

Its not in there but this is "You may be exposed to content that you find offensive, indecent, or objectionable or that is inaccurate, and you bear all risks associated with accessing or using that content."
So pretty much according to the admin here not only do you not have the right to block an ad, its completely your responsibility if that ad has malware in it and messes up your pc, or if you find the ad offensive you simply have to deal with it

If you say so, but until the day a lawyer shows up at my door and shoves paperwork in my face ill continue to browse the internet the way i do.  I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here kind sir

PIRATE !!!

ioi said:
phxprovost said:

Indeed, it is the responsibility of the visitor to protect himself against malware, not the website's. That is how the internet works.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
ioi said:
phxprovost said:

Indeed, it is the responsibility of the visitor to protect himself against malware, not the website's. That is how the internet works.

You mean like blocking all ads to prevent malware attacks?

I don't block ads because I know that that's how the internet economy works, but I can see why people would want to block the evony ads, for example, if they were browsing at work or school.

I have a question for ioi... have you ever been thinking of selling our/the members information to selected third parties and with carefully selected companies who you think can offer us services and products of interest to us? I noticed in the privacy policy that you don't do that.. that would be a mistake (business-wise) not doing that cause that's where the real internet money is.. not in ads but in data collection.. Say a company like Sega wants to email the members who like jrpgs with a new jrpg.. if our profiles were adjusted you could sell that information to them.. an emailadress can fetch you 13 cents and any additional information 3 cents (stuff like gender, age, country etc).. it big business..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I will definatly do my part to PM you. What I see on alot of sites is a little link under ads that you can click if they cause problems. But if PMing you is the best way to do it I will. In the past I didnt know the best person to PM.

phxprovost said:
Chrizum said:
ioi said:
phxprovost said:

You mean like blocking all ads to prevent malware attacks?

For example, yes. It is not illegal to use Ad Blockers anywhere.

Ofcourse, the website owner has every right to block people using Ad Blockers as well.