By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Portal 2 coming to 360/PC NOT ps3

Sharky54 said:
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:
No surprise here. A incompetent developer refusing to make games on a system they just aren't good enough to make games on.

You sir are a moron.

Sorry if thats banworthy but really saying Valve is incompetent for not releasing PS3 games is like saying "wow that company that is making shitloads of money is totally doing it wrong LoL!!11!!1!"

no sir. As I recall. Someone at valve said the PS3 was too hard to program for. And that they wouldn't make any games for it. If it is too hard for them. Thats fine. Just means they aren't a great developer.

Also. Last I checked. They don't make nearly as much money as many companies that do make games for the PS3. 

Please name just one of these companies?? Because all i see is companies that arent sponsored or first party bleeding money everywhere. Valve has steam - a great hulking money making machine, and they make some of the best games period.

I personally think portal is the only worthwhile game they have ever made. Also I assumed we were just talking about money from games. Because valve games don't really sell that amazingly. Gamestop makes more money the steam. How about that? Truth of the matter is. They said it would be too hard to design games for. That shows me they suck. If you bring your car to be fixed. And the guys says "I am sorry, this car is too complicated for me to work on" would you say your friends should go there for work on their cars? I doubt it.

You must be joking, right?  In just the past year and 3 months they have sold over 5 million games on 360 alone in the form of L4D 1 and 2. 

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=Left+4+Dead&keyword=&console=&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

That's besides the PC sales of both, which are almost universally believed to be higher than 360's, and with a higher profit margin for valve to boot. 

@topic:  Portal is a strong contender for my favorite game of the entire gen.  Count me in for the sequel.

Around the Network
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:
No surprise here. A incompetent developer refusing to make games on a system they just aren't good enough to make games on.

You sir are a moron.

Sorry if thats banworthy but really saying Valve is incompetent for not releasing PS3 games is like saying "wow that company that is making shitloads of money is totally doing it wrong LoL!!11!!1!"

Sort of what they've been saying about Nintendo.

Portal 2! =)
Now onward to half life 2 episode 3!

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Eh am I the only one that didn't care for portal? 2-3hours of bland level design and stunningly easy puzzling... interesting I suppose but I saw it more as a tech demo than anything else. The portal system portal sports is something I'd like to see integrated with another game... but as it was it was all pretty boring 

Maybe if an FPS included the portal gun to bring up some variety with puzzle and more exploration based elements it could be fun, but overall HL2 modded with portal gun is more fun than portal itself, and that says something.

Oh and I don't think most PS3 fans care too much, I mean no one on PS3 really wanted orange box in the first place, and in turn we didn't buy it.

Valve hates the PS3. What's new?

Around the Network
De85 said:
Sharky54 said:
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:

You sir are a moron.

no sir. As I recall. Someone at valve said the PS3 was too hard to program for. And that they wouldn't make any games for it. If it is too hard for them. Thats fine. Just means they aren't a great developer.

Also. Last I checked. They don't make nearly as much money as many companies that do make games for the PS3. 

Please name just one of these companies?? Because all i see is companies that arent sponsored or first party bleeding money everywhere. Valve has steam - a great hulking money making machine, and they make some of the best games period.

I personally think portal is the only worthwhile game they have ever made. Also I assumed we were just talking about money from games. Because valve games don't really sell that amazingly. Gamestop makes more money the steam. How about that? Truth of the matter is. They said it would be too hard to design games for. That shows me they suck. If you bring your car to be fixed. And the guys says "I am sorry, this car is too complicated for me to work on" would you say your friends should go there for work on their cars? I doubt it.

You must be joking, right?  In just the past year and 3 months they have sold over 5 million games on 360 alone in the form of L4D 1 and 2. 

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=Left+4+Dead&keyword=&console=&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

That's besides the PC sales of both, which are almost universally believed to be higher than 360's, and with a higher profit margin for valve to boot. 

@topic:  Portal is a strong contender for my favorite game of the entire gen.  Count me in for the sequel.

That is exactly the point. That is one game that has sold sort of well on the xbox. And I can assure you if they had made it for the PS3 it would have sold at least one million more copies. I am done with this thread though.

Which proves games dont sell on the PS3

Sharky54 said:
De85 said:
Sharky54 said:

That is exactly the point. That is one game that has sold sort of well on the xbox. And I can assure you if they had made it for the PS3 it would have sold at least one million more copies. I am done with this thread though.

Backpedal much?  Looking back at your previous post it seems your point was that valve games don't sell well, I even highlighted it.  I personally think that over 5M games in a little over a year qualifies as selling extremely well.

I don't doubt that they might pick up a few extra sales from the PS3, maybe even a million, but at the end of the day valve is a private company and if they don't want to they don't have to.  They certainly aren't hurting for cash so they don't need to.

Severance said:

As soon as they release screenshots it will be the graphics king on consoles according to selnor

Touche'. Nah it's on PC too.

Sharky54 said:
everdom said:
Sharky54 said:

You sir are a moron.

WTF?

Valve has created some of the most critically praised games of all time, including Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Portal. They are also vastly wealthy due not only to those properties(like the Source game engine), but their distribution service Steam, and partnerships with other developers and publishers.

A word on Steam from Wikipedia:

Profitability

In 2005, the first third-party games began to appear on Steam. Valve also announced that Steam was starting to be profitable, if only due to some highly successful Valve games. Although digital distribution was still no match to retail in terms of sales volume, and despite a still cautious user base, profit margins for Valve and developers were far bigger on Steam than at retail.[45]

In 2007, big developer-publishers such as Eidos Interactive, Capcom, and id Software started to distribute their games on Steam. In May 2007, 13 million accounts had been created on Steam, and 150 games were for sale on the platform.[46] In October 2007, with the highly successful release of The Orange Box, and the distribution of high-profile games such as BioShock, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Steam began to take the lead in digital distribution.

There are over 1,000 games available on Steam, and in January 2010 Valve announced that it had surpassed 25 million active user accounts.

Also, note that The Orange Box for Xbox 360 is the 6th highest rated game of all time on gamerankings.com

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.