By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DO NOT TURN ON YOUR FAT PS3 - date bug is majorly screwing up systems

HexenLord said:

Everyone needs to chill. The only thing you could possibly lose out of this ordeal is game saves. So far I haven't seen a single person complain they've lost a game-save.

Game data and trophy information are ALL stored online and can be redownloaded/resynced after this whole ordeal has been fixed. It doesn't matter if its not showing your current trophies offline, they are still stored on the PSN servers and will all show up once you're able to connect again.

Have you guys not upgraded your PS3 hard-drives yet? This is basically the exact same thing that happens, you just have to reconnect to the PSN to get it all sorted out. Unfortunately thats the one thing we can't do right now. When you upgrade your HD you lose all of your trophy info. You have to resync before you can view it offline. If you cancel the sync in the middle of the process, it only shows a portion of your trophies. The file saved on your PS3 is in no way the master or dominant list, its simply there for your offline viewing pleasure. YOU WILL NOT LOSE YOUR TROPHIES, SHUT UP.

Wait for Sony to release a fix. Your system is not broken, its not bricked, its not going to lose everything saved on it.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102573&page=1#

yup. agree 100% I have been in this part of the industry working in it for a very long time, and this type of problem occur's with Bios of motherboard's all the time, yes it suck's that's its now having an effect on game console's, but that's the trade off when the function's that you now have on game console's are cool, you than can have some trouble pop up. It happen's !

the fact that it's something like this instead of something that could be more of a problem, well it could be but based on what has happened, it most likely a Bios fix will be needed.

so it's not something that is out of the relm of getting fixed soon than it would be like having to send the unit back in to be repaired or anything like that.

as far as i can tell.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Is this problem still there ? Are 40GBs safe ?

NJ5 said:

Best case: the problem fixes itself 24 hours after it started.

In-between case: a firmware update can fix the problem (not so great for people with no Internet).

Worst case: Sony has to recall a lot of PS3s, spending millions/billions of dollars and pissing off a lot of people.

Can any of these be excluded yet?

I would say a very high percentage for the Majority the last one most likely can indeed be excluded.. because the same unit's that have the bug can still go on to the internet and use the PS3's browser thus they could get the update.

and if you cannot get that through the PS3 that way, if you have to get the update by PC you can and load the update by flash drive.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Those of you who have working Fatty PS3's ( The older model) post your model numbers. It's on the back of the console on a white sticker, It starts with CECH. This is the info I have gathered thus far.

CECHA01= Not working
CECHE01 - not working.
CECHG01 - not working
CECHH01 - Not working
CECHK01- not working.
CECHL01- working.
CECHP01 - Working

The models after a certain one seems to work.

So those with working PS3's post your model #'s lets see if we can work out which consoles exactly are affected.

GodOfWar_3ever said:

If your PS3 was off while the date switched over from 28/2 to the 1/3 then in all likelyhood you will be hit with the issue.  I just turned mine on because I couldn't resist the urge to look (its like the do not press syndrome on a button) and it has indeed got this bug.  Mine is a type 1 UK 40GB.  I'm not too fussed though as I'll just use it to watch films on until Sony release a patch.

Around the Network
GodOfWar_3ever said:

AS far as i can tell any unit other that the Slim, may or may not need their Bios of the Motherboard flashed, IE a firmware update that has a Bio's update to fix the PS3's internal clock setting's. which the software that  is stored on the Bios chip of the PS3 , and since the Bios setting's are in the chip and the PS3's mother board battery keep's those setting's even when the unit is switched on/off the setting's cannot be changed by just changeing the clock on the PS3's setup.

it would have to be done on the Bios level of the PS3.

I AM BOLO

ps:

NJ5 said:

In-between case: a firmware update can fix the problem (not so great for people with no Internet).

Worst case: Sony has to recall a lot of PS3s, spending millions/billions of dollars and pissing off a lot of people.

Yes, you can exclude the best and worst case scenarios. You children need to stop acting as if this were the PS3 apocalypse. 

The problem will likely not fix itself. People at the start of the time-zone cycle are already in March 2nd and their clocks have them at 1/1/2000 now. It may fix itself, but its extremely unlikely.

A firmware update can reflash the bios and problem solved. However I wouldn't expect it in rapid time. Releasing a multi-area firmware update to several regions on the world is going to take time. This cannot just be a venture from SCEA alone, but all of the various branches of Sony Computer Entertainment throughout all of their different governed regions. 

Sony won't be recalling PS3. Your system is not bricked. Shut up and stop crying.

Oh and PS, ALL fat PS3s excluding some of the very late model 80Gigs are effected. So yes, your 20/40/60/80 gig is more than likely effected, and you need to stop asking. ALL backward compatible PS3s are effected.

HexenLord said:
NJ5 said:

Yes, you can exclude the best and worst case scenarios. You children need to stop acting as if this were the PS3 apocalypse. 

The problem will likely not fix itself. People at the start of the time-zone cycle are already in March 2nd and their clocks have them at 1/1/2000 now. It may fix itself, but its extremely unlikely.

A firmware update can reflash the bios and problem solved. However I wouldn't expect it in rapid time. Releasing a multi-area firmware update to several regions on the world is going to take time. This cannot just be a venture from SCEA alone, but all of the various branches of Sony Computer Entertainment throughout all of their different governed regions. 

Sony won't be recalling PS3. Your system is not bricked. Shut up and stop crying.

Oh and PS, ALL fat PS3s excluding some of the very late model 80Gigs are effected. So yes, your 20/40/60/80 gig is more than likely effected, and you need to stop asking. ALL backward compatible PS3s are effected.

Actually I think the best case scenario is still possible, since the internal clock apparently uses GMT time no matter what your timezone is. So the problem will likely get fixed simultaneously all over the world (in the best case scenario of course).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33995/Now-developers-PS3s-are-hit-by-system-errors

wow, could money to Sony ...

Time to Work !

Interesting, hopefully time fixes the problem for those that do not have a connection to the internet in their house.