By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve: 'We messed up on PS3'

ssj12 said:
why is this news? they stated this like a year ago...

This is the 4th time they've apologized for the Orange Box...a game they didn't even code and just outsourced to EA, and still they are getting shitted on by PS3 fanboys -_-. Orange box was 2 years ago...Valve apologized already let it go, no need to hold a grudge for 2 years you'll just develop an ulcer.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network
Grahamhsu said:
ssj12 said:

This is the 4th time they've apologized for the Orange Box...a game they didn't even code and just outsourced to EA, and still they are getting shitted on by PS3 fanboys -_-. Orange box was 2 years ago...Valve apologized already let it go, no need to hold a grudge for 2 years you'll just develop an ulcer.

Actually bacteria cause ulcers. See: http://microbiology.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_causes_stomach_ulcers

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Meh, Valve didn't even look at the PS3 until it started getting sales.

I would love to see L4D on PS3 (even though I have it on 360). They could easily make it better in a lot more ways than 1.

Valve is a great developer, despite their hate they had with the PS3. Glad they finally opened their eyes. I hate it when Devs are stuck up =/.

Plus, they're apologizing for "The Orange Box" to get on the good side of "Sony Fanboys".

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

I'll pass on every valve game ever created that comes out on the PS3. No thank you.

Well you can't blame Valve completely. The PS3 hardware is known for being difficult (i.e. expensive) to develop for. Also, it was guaranteed to sell considerably less than the 360 port.

Valve makes shooters, that's their niche. The PS3 just isn't their bread and butter.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Twistedpixel said:
huaxiong90 said:
Twistedpixel said:
huaxiong90 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Sony has to prove to people who haven't got a PS3 that its worth the price. Superior exclusives huh? So perhaps two of the biggest landmark shooter games in existance, Half-Life 2 which is probably still better than every single shooter Sony has released and they have to wait in line? You sound a little bit less care free about this than you're trying to appear.

Just thought I'd add he probably isn't referring strictly to shooters.

Sony only releases shooters. The PS3 is a shooter box. Look at the number of Sony published shooters!

• Uncharted
  • Uncharted 2
  • Resistance Fall of Man
  • RFOM 2
  • R+C ACIT
  • R+C TOD
  • R+C Q4B
  • Killzone 2
  • Infamous
  • LBP (has a paint ball gun)
  • Demons Souls (Arrows are like guns but more primitive)
  • Heavy Rain has a gun too
  • Heavenly Swords had after touch and it looked like a gun too, Twing Twang!
  • Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom has a wizard, and thats like a magical gun.

How can you say they have a lot of exclusives without guns?

...ok, seeing how you interpreted it as a generalization, let me rephrase: First person shooters. Besides, LBP, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, amongst others are different.

And with that, I'm off to bed. It's late.

So now you're trying to redefine things to suit you?! Since when did camera position define a games genre?

There can be something called variety in shooters. I'm not spinning anything.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

This is just the basics of running a profitable company.

While Valve probably should have tempered their words with regards to the PS3 platform, ultimately it doesn't make a difference to anyone other than to the PS3 fans (since general PS3 consumers aren't going to care so long as they can buy their games) who feel obligated to hold a grudge because a developer dared to slight and belittle their console.

Initially, the amount of resources Valve would have to devote to a dedicated PS3 development team outweighed what they measured as the potential benefits at the time.

After shipping 13m consoles in one year, with the majority of those coming from the post $299 MSRP, those are numbers that become harder to overlook.

Childish grudges aside, it's a simple matter of installed user base and potential customers vs. additional development costs/resources.

It's now becoming worthwhile for Valve to spare or hire additional resources for PS3 development based upon the way the wind is currently blowing. Reward outweighs risk.

The average video game consumer only has one current gen console. And while it may come as a surprise to some, many if not most of these same consumers don't have current 3D gaming PCs. Most are actually using laptops, and not expensive gaming laptops. So if that one gaming machine happens to be a PS3, it's by no fault of their own if they skip all of Valve's games for the simple lack of availability.

When Valve deems those numbers large enough to offset the costs of adding a PS3 R&D team, they'll do it.

It makes sense for Valve to develop for PC and port to other platforms whenever it's economically sound, possibly haggling with platform owners for any benefit they are willing to concede. Valve has had a nicely running business on PC for more than 10 years now, in total freedom and not subject to console royalties too, so consoles will always come second, and get milked for their user base. XB360 didn't need it, but MW2 sales on PS3 made a lot of mouths water, including Valve's. So just expect Valve porting to Wii too as soon as more than 10 3rd party games exceed 3M sales and at least two other 3rd party games besides that Sega one sell more than 5M on it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Grahamhsu said:
ssj12 said:

They may have apologized a bunch for the Orange Box....but they also called the PS3 pretty much worthless several more times. And I mean...something like Uncharted 2 only cost $20M so the "too many resources to develop on PS3" excuse is a farce. They have NO reason to not make a PS3 game....and they don't do it.

BMaker11 said:
Grahamhsu said:
ssj12 said:

They may have apologized a bunch for the Orange Box....but they also called the PS3 pretty much worthless several more times. And I mean...something like Uncharted 2 only cost $20M so the "too many resources to develop on PS3" excuse is a farce. They have NO reason to not make a PS3 game....and they don't do it.

So what if they crapped on the PS3. Pretty much every Sony developer has talked shit about other consoles too. Do you give them crap for it?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?