By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
PhalanxCO said:
aragod said:
Viper1 said:

1. Name me 1 big publisher abandoning Wii.  Just 1. 

2. MadWorld - The game that Sega stated sold in line with their expectations and are contemplating a sequel.  Also the best selling game from the former Clover Studios ever (prior to Bayonetta which had a much bigger marketing budget than Mad World)
No More Hereoes - Suda 51's best selling game ever.  I guess he should be disappointed?
Muramasa - Have you seen the sales data for the other games this studio has made?  Apparently not.
Okami - So Capcom takes a 2 year old port and has it sell better on the 65 million Wii than the 130 million PS2.  I'm confused how this is a bad thing.
Zack and Wiki - Can you show me any point and click games over the past several years on a home console to sell any better?

PS3 has a better attach rate for 3rd parties yet the Wii still sells more 3rd party software than PS3, has more million selling 3rd party games.....so again your point, and his, misses the mark.  

1) I never said that they are abandoning Wii, they are abandoning new "hardcore" IP development. We'll still get you third party games that sells more than third party on HD (= mini game collections, hoorah).

2) None of these games sold more than 0.5 m, some of them sold around 0.1-2 m, and these are not the only ones, add Tatsunoko-vs-Capcom, Dead Space Extraction and pretty much every other 3rd party title. I really don't want to do this, but I might scroll down whole metacritics top 50 to show you, that pretty much every decent third party game sold so little.

Show me a third party title with noticable sales, even better, new IP, that is not casual (< you know what I mean). One that isn't riding on it's name as established franchise (or it can, I still doubt there will be more than 1-2).

Here's the top 30 third party games listed on MetaCritic:

World of Goo (94) - WiiWare, no sales data
RB2 (92) - Sold on par with PS3 version
Okami (90) - Sold more than the PS2 version
Beatles: Rock Band (89) - Sold the most of 3 versions
GH5 (89) - Sold the most of 3 versions
NMH2 (88) - Just released, but no advertising
Tiger Woods 10 (88) - Sold the most of 3 versions
DJ Hero (87) - Sold worst, but all sold poorly
Z&W (87) - I'll give you this one. Should have sold better, but style probably put people off.
LKS (87) - See Z&W
Bomberman Blast (86) - WW
Lost Winds (86) WW
Boom Blox Bash Party (86) - Should have sold better no doubt
GHWT (86) - Sold the most of 3 versions
GH3 (86) - Sold the most of 3 versions
TvC (86) - Just released, give it time.
Tetris Party (86) - WW
MaBoShi (85) - WW
GH: Metallica (85) - Sold the most of 3 versions
Boom Blox (85) - Sold well enough for a sequel
Tales of Monkey Island EP4(84) - WW
PES 2009 (84) - Sold like crap, yes
Swords & Soldiers (84) WW
NMH (83) - Suda51's best selling game ever. Warranted the sequel
MLB Power Pros (83) - Outsold PS2 version
Mega Man 9 (83) - WW
Bully (83) - port of old game, but still made a profit at .44m
PES 2008 (83) - Sold like crap, yes
CoD:WaW (83) - Bad port with little advertising, still sold 1.42m
Strong Bad (83) - WW

Show me a third party title with noticable sales, even better, new IP, that is not casual (< you know what I mean). One that isn't riding on it's name as established franchise (or it can, I still doubt there will be more than 1-2).

So no music games, no annual sport games, and no established frachises.

Anyway thanks for the effort, it just underlines what I was trying to say from the start, casual or family oriented games sell much better than "hardcore" new IPs or ports.

Again: I'm not trying to say that you should look at the OP post from different perspective, I don't think it was ment as a personal attack at Wii Gamers, but Wii "owners".

@Viper1

Well ofc we can't compare Street Fighter with Capcom vs series, but on the other hand, I thought that Marvel vs Capcom was one of the legendary fighters. And games doomed from start... I'd expect that when you own only one console, you'd buy the best of given genre even if it's not quiete on par with offerings from other consoles. Which you can't really compare as they don't concern you as an end customer (or in general, if I don't own HD console, I won't compare their games to mine when I'm trying to shop - or atleast that's what I expect from common customer).

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network

So no music games, no annual sport games, and no established frachises.

Red Steel
Boom Blox
Endless Ocean
De Blob

Now what?

@aragod:

Eveytime some one proves you wrong you put up another "rule" for your argument.

Has to be a new ip.

no casual stuff

no music games

no sports games

no established franchises

People already listed many games that sold better than the PS2's ~130m usebase version did. I mean Im not saying there isent some issues with 3rd party stuff on the Wii. Like Little King Story should have sold alot more imho. But its not as bad as some like to make it seem.

I mean ffs man enough.

@Chrizum:

Ill beat him to it.

Red Steal? New "rule". No games that start with the letter R. Nice try...=0)

Kage848 said:

@aragod:

Has to be a new ip.

no casual stuff

no music games

no sports games

People already listed many games that sold better than the PS2's ~130m usebase version did. I mean Im not saying there isent some issues with 3rd party stuff on the Wii. Like Little King Story should have sold alot more imho. But its not as bad as some like to make it seem.

I mean ffs man enough.

@Chrizum:

Ill beat him to it.

I'm not making new rules with each new post, I'm trying to return to the idea behind my first and "original" post.

Red Steal is one of the exceptions, mainly for beeing launch title with great expectations (which weren't completly fullfilled).

The fact is that new IPs of "hardcore" third party titles (my first post) didn't sell as much as similar titles on HD twins, the attach ratio is nowhere close. Maybe it's that the Wii titles aren't "good enough", or MAYBE the audience is the problem. And don't compare the Wii to the PS2, that's last generation, let's stay in the present.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

i guess the Wii game's that I play  on the Wii are make's the Wii somehow or someway, make the Wii not  count as a game machine?

so the Wii being sold at EB game's, Walmart and Target all have the Wii in a toy section, right?

he's got some gut's Il give him that.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
aragod said:
Kage848 said:

@aragod:

Has to be a new ip.

no casual stuff

no music games

no sports games

I mean ffs man enough.

@Chrizum:

Ill beat him to it.

I'm not making new rules with each new post, I'm trying to return to the idea behind my first and "original" post.

Red Steal is one of the exceptions, mainly for beeing launch title with great expectations (which weren't completly fullfilled).

The fact is that new IPs of "hardcore" third party titles (my first post) didn't sell as much as similar titles on HD twins, the attach ratio is nowhere close. Maybe it's that the Wii titles aren't "good enough", or MAYBE the audience is the problem. And don't compare the Wii to the PS2, that's last generation, let's stay in the present.

Ok. This will be my last post to you. And I would not have made this one except i just wanted to point out rule #17: Can't compare Wii to the PS2, for some reason...=0)

And i don't think your totally wrong. But its more complicated than the 3rd parties not making good enough games or the Wii audiance being too casual. There advertiseing issues. There are also niche type of games that aren't going to sell millions no matter what. There is also the issue of 3rd parties having to contend with Nintendo's own games. I mean thats got to be tough no? Also theres 2 issues I think are holding the Wii back more than anything else. Online SUCKS! And the hardware is weak. The Wiis online needs to be better for Dev's to really make the badass hardcore games on it. Same goes for the limited power the machine has. But in order to reach the market the Wii was trying for they wanted to protect the 10yr olds from all the child molesters out there and needed a nice pricepoint for the machine. Because of the pricepoint they had to make it a bit weaker then maybe some of us would like. They can't aford to throw money away like Sony or MS.

Ok i went on a lot more than I wanted to there but there it is.

Although his words are too harsh, it's true IMO. The Wii is a novelty. It's the least played console in my house. Yes Wii do wait 4 the Mario and Zelda games, but it's not a "Gaming Console" per say. Price point, and adults like the "My kid will be exercising too" idea. So, in saying that, it's in it's own little catagory. It's not like your gonna play Halo 3OSD or God Of War, then go back to mario Kart lol

leo-j said:

"it's a toy, people have got to realize the Wii is a toy,"

I totally agree, the perfect defenition of the wii is that it is a toy.

meatloaf73 said:
Although his words are too harsh, it's true IMO. The Wii is a novelty. It's the least played console in my house. Yes Wii do wait 4 the Mario and Zelda games, but it's not a "Gaming Console" per say. Price point, and adults like the "My kid will be exercising too" idea. So, in saying that, it's in it's own little catagory. It's not like your gonna play Halo 3OSD or God Of War, then go back to mario Kart lol

Fair enough and thats your opinion. But not everyones house is like yours. Im as hardcore a gamer as there is and i have never touched Halo after Halo 1 and have not played GoW yet. Although I will be getting GoW3.

And there are alot of people out there like myself. For someone to say if you like Mario Kart more than ODST or GoW thentheres something wrong with you or your casual. Or maybe you just don't know what a good game is, like IGN implies, it's just a very narrow minded view imo.

Please "hardcore" gamers you're not the center of the gaming universe. Not everyone thinks like you and in fact you are the minority BY FAR. The world is changing so please TRY to think outside the box sometime. Nintendo did and it was a great thing....=0)

I agree, but when the PS3 was $700 and the 360 was $600....... the Wii was $250.00. That took the cake right there. If they were all equal in Price, then I believe there would be a totally different outcome. But who knows. Im not saying that My Will doesn't get played, but it seems to me like it's played when the other 2 consoles in my house are being used. BUT it was the most used console at one point. Not it is last. 360 is a close second and at this point in time the PS3 is the leader, but I bought BFBC2 on the 360, so the 360 is catching up. lol