By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS3 is almost selling as much Software as the 360!

Twistedpixel said:
supercat said:
Twistedpixel said:
supercat said:
Zlejedi said:

X360 owners also have a chance to torrent on demand as they wish so there goes a few milions of userbase adventage.

bit torrents-  So people are going to buy the 360 because they can torrent mp3's ?? sorry but that is a pretty poor reason, people aren't going to care about music on their gaming station

30 + titles of games online -  big deal, both the 360 and PS3 are pushing more and more titles online because it will cut out the middleman like the distributors and retail.  Simply, this is just an extensiond of the 360's advantage with its XBL, which as i've mentioned is its last advantage left.

Last advantage? Well whether or not thats true is irrelevant. It is however a significant advantage. I think he said it was 90 titles available in games on demand.

In  terms of sales, any and all advantages are certainly important because you want to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible. 

With the advantage in online sales, that is dissapearing as well, because as the userbase of the PS3 grows, it will start selling online more just as it is about to with games through retail.  sure the PS3's online may be lagging a bit but the trend is in its favor, not the other way around.

That still doesn't change the fact that when I boot up my Xbox 360 the online game market place is front and centre in the dashboard 'spotlight' with new content whereas on the PS3 I actually have to hunt for the content or know its coming beforehand. In addition to this every single arcade game has a demo and the Xbox 360 has had points cards available at retail ever since release. Further to this the Xbox 360 gets a significant number of exclusives for its online marketplace and Xbox Live has been growing in revenue far faster than the Xbox 360 userbase itself, 70% growth YOY was the last number I heard at the end of financial year report.

Lastly it was also mentioned by that other guy that the Xbox Live points cards were the number one selling accessory in 2009 for the Xbox 360. Thats in addition to any credit card sales through the Xbox 360 itself and any games on demand sales.

And yet, the PS3's division made 1/2 as much profits as the 360's division in MS with both  companies most recent earnings statements.  With the PS3's bigger catchup with software and great pull with developers, how wiill that look now?  almost the same? 

Around the Network
supercat said:
Twistedpixel said:

That still doesn't change the fact that when I boot up my Xbox 360 the online game market place is front and centre in the dashboard 'spotlight' with new content whereas on the PS3 I actually have to hunt for the content or know its coming beforehand. In addition to this every single arcade game has a demo and the Xbox 360 has had points cards available at retail ever since release. Further to this the Xbox 360 gets a significant number of exclusives for its online marketplace and Xbox Live has been growing in revenue far faster than the Xbox 360 userbase itself, 70% growth YOY was the last number I heard at the end of financial year report.

Lastly it was also mentioned by that other guy that the Xbox Live points cards were the number one selling accessory in 2009 for the Xbox 360. Thats in addition to any credit card sales through the Xbox 360 itself and any games on demand sales.

And yet, the PS3's division made 1/2 as much profits as the 360's division in MS with both  companies most recent earnings statements.  With the PS3's bigger catchup with software and great pull with developers, how wiill that look now?  almost the same? 

That division also includes significant investment in Windows mobile 7, a couple hundred full time researchers into pure computer sciences, Zune (which wasn't released world wide to contain losses). Sony mentioned that most of their profit came from VAIO computers and not the PS3 and they also had profit from the PS2s software/hardware sales and profit from the PSPs hardware sales as well.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

PSN got a lot of "Arcade" games nowday + PS1 classics. Also PSN userbase should be very close to Live userbase, since it is free and you can use it from your PSP.

It is difficault to esitmate DD sales for PS3 and XBL, but I would assume they are not that different. I have bought plenty of PSN content myself.

Play my LittleBigLove level: search keywords "LittleBigLove realil"

LJ (Russian): http://realill.livejournal.com

This isn't Sony or Microsoft's year.

This is Nintendo's year. They have yet to have a good year and this is by far their best year.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid, No More Heroes, Sin and Punishment and a slew of other games.

Don't get me wrong, PS3 and 360 have strong line-ups. But give this year to the Wii.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

According to VGChartz, 360 has a ~1,600,000 lead according to software sales. I don't know how the big titles will sell this year (Halo: Reach, GT5 etc.) but I think that by the end of the year, the software sales between the two consoles will be very close (well, at least closer than the ~22,000,000 lead the 360 had last year).

Time will tell.

Around the Network
fishsteaks said:
It's hard to say because no ps3 game sell like Halo. Maybe Gt5 has a chance this year.

GT5 has a chance?  No, it WILL sell like and if not Better than Halo.

How many Halo games come out versus GT games?  That is all you need to ask.  

GT is Top-Rated Sim Racer in the World, regardless of what anyone says.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Now if only they would meet demands...

supercat said:
Zlejedi said:
Twistedpixel said:
supercat said:
Twistedpixel said:
Aren't there a bunch of games on demand and also aren't the Arcade titles doing particularly well on the 360? I would suggest that these would account for some of the difference. If even 5% of sales were diverted to these two areas it would make quite a significant difference with the relative userbase levels so close.

Sure, the xbl games are probably doing a lot  better than the PSN given the 360's  consumer base in America of all countries, but keep in mind that the advantage that the 360 has had in weekly software is one that is disappearing, it doesn't have that many advantages over the PS3 left these days.

Xbox 360 owners have the opportunity to buy 30+ titles online instead of going to the shops and the number one accessory for 2009 were Xbox Live points cards. I think its significant. So whilst they may still be buying software how they buy it may have changed. Even if its not tracked here sales are being made.

X360 owners also have a chance to torrent on demand as they wish so there goes a few milions of userbase adventage.

bit torrents-  So people are going to buy the 360 because they can torrent mp3's ?? sorry but that is a pretty poor reason, people aren't going to care about music on their gaming station

30 + titles of games online -  big deal, both the 360 and PS3 are pushing more and more titles online because it will cut out the middleman like the distributors and retail.  Simply, this is just an extensiond of the 360's advantage with its XBL, which as i've mentioned is its last advantage left.

Oh so it's just a mere ilussion that trackers are full of X360 games? :)

Seriously you could at least use google before going with such comment showing lack of knowledge.

And yes a lot of people in poorer countries choose X360 specifically because they can download games without paying.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB