By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible 4 The PS3 To Sell 100M B4 It's Off The Market?... I Think So - UPDATE 85 Millionz Reached

Will The PS3 Sell 100M Before Its off The Market?

no Wii will always be ahead 56 38.89%

iz possible 46 31.94%

yes number 1 console of 7th gen 39 27.08%

Total:141
Legend11 said:

Looking at years 9 and 10 of the PS2 I'm guessing PS3 will sell less than 10 million consoles total in years 9 and 10 of its life (since it's been tracking less than PS2 so far). So it would have to sell ~60 million consoles in 4 years or in other words it'll have to do Wii like numbers to make it.

how many countries was the PS2 released into durring it's life cycle?

the fact that the PS3 and the PSP and the PS2 have been released into more countries world wide today than they were previous tell's you that there is more growth there.

28 countries world wide, now its 36 countries world wide that sony is releasing the playstation brand into

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

here is the countries that xbox live has been supported:
Countries/Regions with LIVE Service

Published May 9, 2007

Xbox LIVE® and Games for Windows LIVE comprise the first and most comprehensive online entertainment network, uniting gamers on Xbox 360™ and select Games for Windows titles. LIVE connects millions of members across 26 countries/regions, making it easy for gamers to find friends, games, and entertainment regardless of their preferred platform. With LIVE, members receive rich presence information about their friends, they can easily communicate with each other, and they can track their gaming achievements and their Gamerscore.

Below is the list of countries/regions where the LIVE service is supported. Game features that require the LIVE service are only available in these countries/regions. If your country/region is not on the list, please check back with us soon—we expand our services frequently and may be coming to your country/region in the near future.

* Australia: International English
* Austria: German
* Belgium: Dutch, French
* Canada: English, French
* Denmark: Danish
* Finland: Finnish, Swedish
* France: French
* Germany: German
* Hong Kong: Traditional Chinese, English
* India: English
* Ireland: International English
* Italy: Italian
* Japan: Japanese
* Korea: Korean
* Mexico: Spanish
* Netherlands: Dutch
* New Zealand: International English
* Norway: Norwegian
* Portugal: Portuguese
* Singapore: International English
* Spain: Spanish
* Sweden: Swedish
* Switzerland: German, French, Italian
* Taiwan: Traditional Chinese
* United Kingdom: International English
* United States: English

so has xboxlive grown in the number's of countries released since it was on the first xbox or has it stayed the same?
that's the big point the growth of the market has grown greatly since the previous generation .
there is more money to be made this generation. The way i see it is Microsoft and Sony are in no hurry, and Nintendo is never in a hurry, they just keep making the system's and they keep selling off the shelf, just look at the handheld's

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Casuals are the people who keep systems alive. Look at all the best selling games late in the PS2's life. Many of them are casual games such as Guitar Hero and Singstar. Why do casual gamers keep the system alive so long? Casual gamers care least about graphics and system power.

The PS3 lost the casual gamers this generation. I don't them regaining those customers with the PS3 at this point. The PS2 never had to regain the casual gamer.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

joeorc said:
Legend11 said:

Looking at years 9 and 10 of the PS2 I'm guessing PS3 will sell less than 10 million consoles total in years 9 and 10 of its life (since it's been tracking less than PS2 so far). So it would have to sell ~60 million consoles in 4 years or in other words it'll have to do Wii like numbers to make it.

the fact that the PS3 and the PSP and the PS2 have been released into more countries world wide today than they were previous tell's you that there is more growth there.

28 countries world wide, now its 36 countries world wide that sony is releasing the playstation brand into

Have you taken into account Sony's competitors (especially the Wii) which are taking a bigger slice out of the markets the PS2 was released in?  Also many of the newer markets are either second and third world ones, or because of neglect have a tradition of piracy, so Sony's competitors have the advantage of being lower priced and piracy on their side.

I really don't see how these new countries will compensate for the amount of marketshare that Sony has lost in the much larger and more mature existing ones.

Legend11 said:
joeorc said:
Legend11 said:

Have you taken into account Sony's competitors (especially the Wii) which are taking a bigger slice out of the markets the PS2 was released in?  Also many of the newer markets are either second and third world ones, or because of neglect have a tradition of piracy, so Sony's competitors have the advantage of being lower priced and piracy on their side.

I really don't see how these new countries will compensate for the amount of marketshare that Sony has lost in the much larger and more mature existing ones.

yes I have there is room for all thres system's as long as they keep selling!

, lol have you seen the piracy protection of the PS3?, for one

And that help's developer's How?

Mature and Existing one's? just because the countries are classed as 3rd world does not mean there is going to be so little growth there that it would not matter?

if that was the case why release there?

so releaseing in 8 more market's is of little value?, that like saying the release of xboxlive does not have value to release there when broadband is being put in to more countries world wide to keep more people connected, there is a big segment of advancement since the year 2000. today the landscape is noway near the same

look at china's market purchase of OIL now than it was 8 year's ago?

it's not static, that is why going to more countries market's even if you start at 1% that's still one % more than you had. ESP if your there before any other system is also on the market there also. the xbox360 is in 21 countries world wide, and xboxlive is supported in 26 that includes the first xbox. so do you think Microsoft is happy that Sony is in 36 countries world wide. or that nintendo is in 38 where as Microsoft is in 21.

it's more important than you may be thinking, at least I think it is because Sony and Nintendo are investing into those other countries to get their product into the market's there.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network
Grimes said:
Casuals are the people who keep systems alive. Look at all the best selling games late in the PS2's life. Many of them are casual games such as Guitar Hero and Singstar. Why do casual gamers keep the system alive so long? Casual gamers care least about graphics and system power.

The PS3 lost the casual gamers this generation. I don't them regaining those customers with the PS3 at this point. The PS2 never had to regain the casual gamer.

that's the point there is more market's that these product's are in than there was before previous generation's. thus they increase their market share.

look at Nintendo this generation the Wii has more people in the age group of say 50 year old gamer's than the PS3 or xbox360 would you say that about right?

thus it's just not about lumping the "casual market as just one whole group of gamer's" there is many type['s of gamer's, tand there may be more gamer's of those say 50 year old's that may like movies more than game's so the fact that the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player may be more inline for that 50+ year old to buy a PS3 also beside's a Wii.

lumping every gamer together is kind of short sighted in my opinion because every gamer is not the same.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Alterego-X said:

BHR-3 said:

Sony usually keeps their console on the market for 10yrs ...  I believe that what really slowed down the PS2 sales was the fact that this gen started in 2005 which i believe slowed down the PS2 sales considerably resulting in only really 5 good solid years of sales...

...I dont see new consoles releasing till atleast 2013 or 2014 or even later so that will mean that the PS3 will have about 3-4 more years...

You are totally mixing cause and effect. 

Hardware sells because there is demand for it, not because Sony wants it to sell. The previous generation had to end because there was no longer sufficient demand for the PS2. 

Also, there were only two earlier Sony consoles, and they also happened to be the two best selling home consoles ever in the history of gaming. 

What do you think, what made them sell for such a long time? The magical "Sony" logo on their casing?  Or the exceptional demand (which the PS3 lacks)?

Obviously, if it would be a matter of wanting really hard, every company would keep their consoles on the market for ten years,   or more, too bad it is useless if people don't buy it.

Exactly WHAT will make people buy the PS3 for another 3-4 years, considering that even more successful consoles than it, lost momentum after a lot shorter time?

PS2 sales

Released 2000--

2000 5.6m

2001 16m

2002 21m

2003 19m

2004 16m

2005 18m (next gen began this year... check out that "no longer sufficient demand") =p

2006 13m

2007 10m

2008 6m

2009 4m

no, won't happen.

Probably about 70 million, just like 360.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Last generation PS2 + XBox + GC was somewhere around 185 million I think.

Considering that the Wii and PS3 came out at the same time and the Wii has consistently sold over twice as much, if the PS3 sells 100 million, the Wii will be at about 210 million at the absolute least, and the Xbox360 will probably be close to the PS3 at 90 - 110 million. This would make the total of all 3 systems 410 million. That would make this generation 220% bigger than last generation. The 2nd and 3rd place consoles will be doing about 5 times better than the XBox and GC?

Yes this generation will last longer than last generation, and is much bigger thanks to the market expansion, and the 2nd and 3rd places are doing much much better than usual. But at some point, everybody but the market leader slows down.

I just don't see any of this happening. There just isn't room for a 2nd or 3rd place console to sell 100 million units. It'll be easier for the Wii to sell 200 million than for the PS3 to sell 100 million, but I'm not even sure if that's going to happen (depends on how slow the Wii burns out over the next 5-8 years). The market is a lot bigger for the Wii and the casuals and women and old people and monkey butlers and whatever, but the hardcore isn't 5 times bigger than it was a few years ago.

kowenicki said:
darkshadow23 said:
Alterego-X said:

BHR-3 said:

Sony usually keeps their console on the market for 10yrs ...  I believe that what really slowed down the PS2 sales was the fact that this gen started in 2005 which i believe slowed down the PS2 sales considerably resulting in only really 5 good solid years of sales...

...I dont see new consoles releasing till atleast 2013 or 2014 or even later so that will mean that the PS3 will have about 3-4 more years...

You are totally mixing cause and effect. 

Hardware sells because there is demand for it, not because Sony wants it to sell. The previous generation had to end because there was no longer sufficient demand for the PS2. 

Also, there were only two earlier Sony consoles, and they also happened to be the two best selling home consoles ever in the history of gaming. 

What do you think, what made them sell for such a long time? The magical "Sony" logo on their casing?  Or the exceptional demand (which the PS3 lacks)?

Obviously, if it would be a matter of wanting really hard, every company would keep their consoles on the market for ten years,   or more, too bad it is useless if people don't buy it.

Exactly WHAT will make people buy the PS3 for another 3-4 years, considering that even more successful consoles than it, lost momentum after a lot shorter time?

PS2 sales

Released 2000--

2000 5.6m

2001 16m

2002 21m

2003 19m

2004 16m

2005 18m (next gen began right at the end of this year... check out that "no longer sufficient demand") =p

2006 13m (gen properly began right at the end of this year.)  check out the collapse in demand.

2007 10m

2008 6m

2009 4m

fixed it for you

that also means that the PS3 is in also 8 more countries this time that it would have in  previous generation which means they have to section off a number of system that are in production to be shipped off to these countries also out of the 10 million a year, now what we do not know is how many system's are being sent to these countries per shipment per month based on all the countries that the PS3 is shipped too. if you take 10 million system's a year / 36 countries is :

277,779 unit's per YEAR to those region's than devide that per month 23,148 system's per month. needed to be shipped for a full year, hell just in japan alone how many PS3's get shipped per week? or month? 30,000?, 90,000? etc.

that time table is not without an extra 8 more market's to add to the distribution of the system's just like the xbox360 there are more market's that the xbox360 has been released into than the first xbox was.

the first xbox was arround 24+ million system's world wide in four year's but the xbox360 is 37+ is 9.25 million system's for the xbox360 per year vs' the first xbox 6 million

so that's on average 3 million system's per year, remember the xbox360 was not released until late 2005 so not even a full year. it's just now going on its near 5 year when nov. roll's , that 3 million a year growth is very good. so how many region's was the first xbox released into .

"The Xbox was released on November 15, 2001 in North America, February 22, 2002 in Japan, and March 14, 2002 in Australia and Europe."

quite a bit less than 21!

I AM BOLO

ps: