By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible 4 The PS3 To Sell 100M B4 It's Off The Market?... I Think So - UPDATE 85 Millionz Reached

Will The PS3 Sell 100M Before Its off The Market?

no Wii will always be ahead 56 38.89%

iz possible 46 31.94%

yes number 1 console of 7th gen 39 27.08%

Total:141
slowmo said:
GameAnalyser said:
slowmo said:
Sales will plummet when the PS4 and 720 are released so this still will not happen. 90-95 will be the final figure IMO.

By just looking at how all the early comments in this thread had PS3 written off(some going as far as 60-65 mn lifetime), the current trend would rather continue with a steady decline YOY. By the end of 2016, it would've surpassed 95 mn easily with bigger markets themselves. And way above 100 mn by the time it's discontinued.

It will not steadily decline and it will not have all the markets to itself like the PS2 did as the 360 will not be discontinued like the original Xbox.  

I'm pretty sure those making jibes about others predictions are the same people that predicted the PS3 to dominate and have been wrong for the last 4 years about the PS3 outselling the 360 each year.  I love how the price cut will somehow encourage wild sales growth on the PS3 while on the 360 that hasn't had a cut for 4 years it will do nothing.

The only chance the PS3 has is if the 360 continues strongly so it encourages 3rd party developers to keep porting to both.  I still think I'm right though as I expect sales to drop below 9 million this year then 5 the years after before dropping sub 3 million and being discontinued in 2016/7.  The PS3 will not make money at low prices like the PS2 so it will be discontinued quicker.  The above are best cases numbers for me btw, if the price of the new consoles is right then knock another 20% of those estimates.

Both the ps3/360 will have strong support in 2014. There is no doubting this.

Around the Network

I know it's a good prediction what with it having been made 3 years ago, but...

...I still don't think it will happen.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

slowmo said:
Sales will plummet when the PS4 and 720 are released so this still will not happen. 90-95 will be the final figure IMO.

Last year Sony said that sales in Latin America were up 200% YOY, and that's before it got a MASSIVE price cut in Brazil. Look at PS2 shipments.

FY2009 Shipments: 7.9 million
FY2010: 7.3 million
FY2011: 6.4 Million
FY2012: 4.1 million
FY2013: Somewhere in the vicinity of 2 million prior to being discontinued

The vast, vast majority of those shipments were in developing markets. Incidentally PS2 has sold around 6 million in Brazil. After the PS4 launch sales in the 3 primary markets will slow but emerging markets still have at least 1 more years worth of growth left in them, especially if we see a worldwide price cut this year. And that's not even accounting for the fact that sales in the primary markets are still going semi-strong. Also, PS3 should easily ship more in FY2014 than PS2 did in FY2009.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Since Sony is looking to support PS3 for a while yet and the PS4 is lacking backwards compatibility, it could reach 100m before all is said and done.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

slowmo said:
GameAnalyser said:
slowmo said:

By just looking at how all the early comments in this thread had PS3 written off(some going as far as 60-65 mn lifetime), the current trend would rather continue with a steady decline YOY. By the end of 2016, it would've surpassed 95 mn easily with bigger markets themselves. And way above 100 mn by the time it's discontinued.

It will not steadily decline and it will not have all the markets to itself like the PS2 did as the 360 will not be discontinued like the original Xbox.  

I'm pretty sure those making jibes about others predictions are the same people that predicted the PS3 to dominate and have been wrong for the last 4 years about the PS3 outselling the 360 each year.  I love how the price cut will somehow encourage wild sales growth on the PS3 while on the 360 that hasn't had a cut for 4 years it will do nothing.

The only chance the PS3 has is if the 360 continues strongly so it encourages 3rd party developers to keep porting to both.  I still think I'm right though as I expect sales to drop below 9 million this year then 5 the years after before dropping sub 3 million and being discontinued in 2016/7.  The PS3 will not make money at low prices like the PS2 so it will be discontinued quicker.  The above are best cases numbers for me btw, if the price of the new consoles is right then knock another 20% of those estimates.

Again which makes me want to state things like I did in couple of the other threads. This generation was not about domination. It never was. It was about consoles which competed and Wii came out selling well in the beginning for a gimmick that really clicked among the casual gamers. PS3 caught up from behind in a market hit with recession. A fine piece of revised hardware with exclusives that mattered. FYI PS3 outsold 360 for every fiscal year since 2010.

Why wouldn't the decline be steady? If Sony ever stated they had a 10 year plan, they would make sure it's executed to the fullest possible and they do have a reputation for that  by releasing their consoles to more markets than any of the other console manufacturers.  Here is also where the price-cut plays a crucial role. With the release of next-gen consoles, a price-cut will matter in the major markets but emerging markets would contribute at a consistent pace for an extended period of 2-3 years.

Are you serious about that statement regarding games being developed would RELY on 360's continuity? And that for a console which is already dead in Japanese market? Irrespective of 3rd party developers porting or not, Sony would know how and where to get developers working for and how to sustain the software sales for PS3 with a unique MMP strategy even with PS4 down the line. They already have a proven track record with both PS1 and PS2. So 360 isn't impeding it any way. And I never said 100 mn by 2016 end, instead >95 mn which is rather too optimistic for now. But >100 mn before it's off market(2017/18). And it wouldn't be as long as PS2, probably a year or two shy.

Around the Network
pezus said:
MrT-Tar said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Going by the sales numbers in the OP...

PS3's 1st year was 17.9% of the PS2's 1st year.
PS3's 2nd year was 43.8% of the PS2's 2nd year.
PS3's 3rd year was 42.9% of the PS2's 3rd year.
PS3's 4th year was 63.2% of the PS2's 4th year.

Yet some people expect that after 10 years, PS3 will have sold 71.4% as much as the PS2?

It would need to start selling at PS2 levels or DS levels for a while to catch up to where you guys think it can go. It's just not going to happen.

Wow, that really put its all in perspective

How's that perspective now?

No, seriously, could someone update the PS3 vs. PS2 comparison?

NVM, did it myself

PS3's 1st year was 22.3% of the PS2's 1st year.

PS3's 2nd year was 49.4% of the PS2's 2nd year.

PS3's 3rd year was 48.6% of the PS2's 3rd year.

PS3's 4th year was 68.4% of the PS2's 4th year.

PS3's 5th year was 86.9% of the PS2's 5th year.

PS3's 6th year was 78.3% of the PS2's 6th year.

PS3's 7th year was 86.9% of the PS2's 7th year. (PS3 still undertracked considerably)

PS3's 8th year will be ~90-100% of the PS2's  8th year

That "perspective" you speak of was incredibly deceiving. A perfect example of the past not representing the future.

Interesting analysis.

Threads like this are gold mine for comedy. I remembered the predictions for Uncharted 2 lifetime sales.

pezus said:
MrT-Tar said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Going by the sales numbers in the OP...

PS3's 1st year was 17.9% of the PS2's 1st year.
PS3's 2nd year was 43.8% of the PS2's 2nd year.
PS3's 3rd year was 42.9% of the PS2's 3rd year.
PS3's 4th year was 63.2% of the PS2's 4th year.

Yet some people expect that after 10 years, PS3 will have sold 71.4% as much as the PS2?

It would need to start selling at PS2 levels or DS levels for a while to catch up to where you guys think it can go. It's just not going to happen.

Wow, that really put its all in perspective

How's that perspective now?

No, seriously, could someone update the PS3 vs. PS2 comparison?

NVM, did it myself

PS3's 1st year was 22.3% of the PS2's 1st year.

PS3's 2nd year was 49.4% of the PS2's 2nd year.

PS3's 3rd year was 48.6% of the PS2's 3rd year.

PS3's 4th year was 68.4% of the PS2's 4th year.

PS3's 5th year was 86.9% of the PS2's 5th year.

PS3's 6th year was 78.3% of the PS2's 6th year.

PS3's 7th year was 86.9% of the PS2's 7th year. (PS3 still undertracked considerably)

PS3's 8th year will be ~90-100% of the PS2's  8th year

That "perspective" you speak of was incredibly deceiving. A perfect example of the past not representing the future.

Can you add the PS3 and PS2 yearly number in the bracket and also the cumulative number PS3 is behind after every yr.

michael_stutzer said:
Threads like this are gold mine for comedy. I remembered the predictions for Uncharted 2 lifetime sales.

Almost as funny as the 360 LTD estimates, did you make a prediction in that epic thread?

Sales at end of each year:

2013 : 87 (12M)
2014: 97 (10M)
2015: 104 (7M)
2016: 108 (4M)
2017: 110 (2M)