By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible 4 The PS3 To Sell 100M B4 It's Off The Market?... I Think So - UPDATE 85 Millionz Reached

Will The PS3 Sell 100M Before Its off The Market?

no Wii will always be ahead 56 38.89%

iz possible 46 31.94%

yes number 1 console of 7th gen 39 27.08%

Total:141

Sales will plummet when the PS4 and 720 are released so this still will not happen. 90-95 will be the final figure IMO.

Around the Network

Awesome thing bringing back this thread. I see the ps3 easily keep selling for the next 2/3 years. 100 million is totally doable.

slowmo said:
Sales will plummet when the PS4 and 720 are released so this still will not happen. 90-95 will be the final figure IMO.

Sure they will plummet but Sony is still selling PSPs or PS2s somewhere and unlike MS or Nintendo really active on alot more smaller markets with lower income and PS3 is still not cheap enough.  You can't deny that it looks like an achievable goal since your own prediction is within 5-10% of the goal, it could end up over 100 Million in this decade even if it just reaches 95 Million in the main markets.  

ethomaz said:
Branko2166 said:
GameAnalyser said:
paulrage2 said:
" kowenicki on 18 July 2010

Yes its possible... but no it wont."

LOL

This one's special for the obvious reasons.

U got it wrong he's not a Sony hater. He owns a PS3 :)

Yeap... He had a PS3 but your comment is hilarous in the same way ROFL lol.

glad to amuse you :)

slowmo said:

By just looking at how all the early comments in this thread had PS3 written off(some going as far as 60-65 mn lifetime), the current trend would rather continue with a steady decline YOY. By the end of 2016, it would've surpassed 95 mn easily with bigger markets themselves. And way above 100 mn by the time it's discontinued.

Around the Network
GameAnalyser said:
slowmo said:

By just looking at how all the early comments in this thread had PS3 written off(some going as far as 60-65 mn lifetime), the current trend would rather continue with a steady decline YOY. By the end of 2016, it would've surpassed 95 mn easily with bigger markets themselves. And way above 100 mn by the time it's discontinued.

It will not steadily decline and it will not have all the markets to itself like the PS2 did as the 360 will not be discontinued like the original Xbox.  

I'm pretty sure those making jibes about others predictions are the same people that predicted the PS3 to dominate and have been wrong for the last 4 years about the PS3 outselling the 360 each year.  I love how the price cut will somehow encourage wild sales growth on the PS3 while on the 360 that hasn't had a cut for 4 years it will do nothing.

The only chance the PS3 has is if the 360 continues strongly so it encourages 3rd party developers to keep porting to both.  I still think I'm right though as I expect sales to drop below 9 million this year then 5 the years after before dropping sub 3 million and being discontinued in 2016/7.  The PS3 will not make money at low prices like the PS2 so it will be discontinued quicker.  The above are best cases numbers for me btw, if the price of the new consoles is right then knock another 20% of those estimates.

Legend11 said:
Lots of people here jumping the gun yet again just like before the PS3 launched and they were already talking about PS3 domination. PS3's sales are going to plummit after 2013 due to the new consoles and anyone thinking the declines are going to be gradual are kidding themselves. As the releases dry up in 2014 you're going to see the market flooded with millions of second hand PS3s and 2015 is going to be a very massive drop in sales. Lets dig this up at the end of 2014 to see who's right.

You've got it all wrong, Sony promised us that they would never leave the PS3 behind.

Just noticed how old this thread is. Must point out that the PS3 has been on its current price point for quite a while now. Even with the advent of the PS4, continuous price drops and support for the PS3 over the next few years will probably see it hit 100million, but not much more than that.

Without any serious trend observations, here are some predictions.

By the end of 2013, it'll be at about 84-85m. By the end of 2014, it'll be at around 90m. After that it'll sell a few crumbs most likely.

But I'm honestly not too sure. Sony seems to be pushing the PS3 strongly at the moment and I'm really not sure how much a sub $200 PS3 would do.

I say it is possible for it to reach 100m but it'll need a lot going for it. It will do at least 90m though, which is great.

ethomaz said:
@teigaga

How can PS3 sell only 80m as end of 2013 if it is already near 77m in early 2013... 85m is more reasonable .

I thought it was at 72m??? Well I expect it to sell 8m between now and december. SO ad that number to whatever its current sales are now.