By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever cried (out of sadness) during a video game?

Have you ever cried (out of sadness) during a video game?

Yes 86 48.86%

No 56 31.82%

Listen Nancy, I never cry. Ever. 34 19.32%

Total:176

Can video games instill in me a sense of catharsis? Why, yes, and for many reasons, at that. It can be because a video game is brilliantly designed (aesthetically or otherwise), with a rich and layered story that ties into virtually every facet of the gameplay and forces the player to question his very nature as a game actor and human being, or it may as simple as a single scene. A few times I have played games I did not want to finish - I have never experienced this when reading a book or watching a movie.

In fact, movies, on average, are no better off than games, as I rarely feel anything during 'heartfelt', cinematic moments - and that goes double for the Spielberg school of gauche sentimentalism - and literature tends to affect me on an intellectual, rather than emotional level.

Reasonable touched upon what I consider to be one of the chief exigencies of modern video game art. The elicitation of emotion (and, indeed, any kind of narrative) through gameplay experiences is, I think, one of the most powerful storytelling techniques available in any medium. It is, sadly, not seen to a large extent in a majority of today's titles.

Around the Network

Yeah I has misty eyes in some of MGS3 (ending ) & MGs4

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

In general I don't cry much, even if I'm profoundly sad.

As far as the videogame medium goes, I can only, with assurance, claim I got close with both of Team ICO's outings, particularly ICO.

Don't think so.

I get touched and stuff, but I haven't cried.

Same goes for movies and tv series.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Quite frankly I'm a stone heart when it comes to things that try to make me cry.

Only a couple of shows have ever done that. For the games.... I guess Crisis Core ALMOST made me cry. If I weren't in a mall at that time I guess I would've cried. Still... It's 0 for games.

Around the Network

ending of Link's Awakening

OH Shit I forgot this completely when i was talking about myself being a cry baby:

The TV show Lost makes me cry every other episode. It's the greatest show ever and most if not all of the character arcs are tear-worthy.

I'll cry out in sadness if the game suxs. lol

Chrono Trigger the eneding where marle looks for chrono

I cryed at the end of MGS4 durring the fight of Snake vs Ocelot, and MGS3 after the Boss fight