By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever cried (out of sadness) during a video game?

Have you ever cried (out of sadness) during a video game?

Yes 86 48.86%

No 56 31.82%

Listen Nancy, I never cry. Ever. 34 19.32%

Total:176
The Ghost of RubangB said:
rocketpig said:
Yeah. All the time. Games have made me cry out of happiness, sadness, and everything else. Same thing with movies and music.

I wonder why movies, music, and books can get to me easily but games cannot. Strange.

I'll have to think about that for awhile.

I think the absolutely shit-writing of games gets in the way of most people's willing suspension of disbelief.  Menus, health bars, HUDs, high scores, save points, going back and forth between gameplay and movies, horrible dialogue, the uncanny valley, the controller in your hand as a medium between you and the game... all those things keep reminding you it's "just a game" so it's harder to invest emotionally in a story that could be a tearjerker in a book, song, or movie.  Games really suck.  I just cry a lot and game a lot, so sometimes they overlap.

I know you hate "story" games but I'm curious to know what you'd think of Mass Effect 2. Of all things, I found myself getting more emotional about characters in that game than any other in recent memory. The game did such a great job of making you "earn" that character's loyalty and trust that I was gonna be furious if one of those cocksuckers went and died on me (a few did, but the ones I liked managed to live). By changing how we think about NPCs in games, BioWare has upped the ante in how you treat your side characters. Because, if Moridan died, that means NO MORIDAN in Mass Effect 3. If you liked Moridan, it was pretty heart-wrenching to watch him drop like a stone.

Not that I was on the verge of tears or anything but thinking that Garrus may die had me in a near-panic for a good five minutes of the game during the end sequence.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
rocketpig said:
Yeah. All the time. Games have made me cry out of happiness, sadness, and everything else. Same thing with movies and music.

I wonder why movies, music, and books can get to me easily but games cannot. Strange.

I think the absolutely shit-writing of games gets in the way of most people's willing suspension of disbelief.  Menus, health bars, HUDs, high scores, save points, going back and forth between gameplay and movies, horrible dialogue, the uncanny valley, the controller in your hand as a medium between you and the game... all those things keep reminding you it's "just a game" so it's harder to invest emotionally in a story that could be a tearjerker in a book, song, or movie.  Games really suck.  I just cry a lot and game a lot, so sometimes they overlap.

I know you hate "story" games but I'm curious to know what you'd think of Mass Effect 2. Of all things, I found myself getting more emotional about characters in that game than any other in recent memory. The game did such a great job of making you "earn" that character's loyalty and trust that I was gonna be furious if one of those cocksuckers went and died on me (a few did, but the ones I liked managed to live). By changing how we think about NPCs in games, BioWare has upped the ante in how you treat your side characters. Because, if Moridan died, that means NO MORIDAN in Mass Effect 3. If you liked Moridan, it was pretty heart-wrenching to watch him drop like a stone.

Not that I was on the verge of tears or anything but thinking that Garrus may die had me in a near-panic for a good five minutes of the game during the end sequence.

I yelled, out loud "No fucking way! Not Mordin!" at the end of Mass Effect 2, he's the only one I lost. I should have known better than to have him "Hold the Line" dammit. One of the best characters in gaming in the last 20 years.

wen i knew i was nearing the end of uncharted 1 and 2 :'(

I've come close on two occasions. The ending of MGS3, and a certain scene from Shadow of the Colossus involving a horse.

SPOILERS

I can't specifically remember a time when I've cried, I know I was pretty emotional at the end of MGS4.

Another time would be Heavenly sword, when Kai is (seemingly) hanged. She's so sweet, me and my friend were both pumped up for the boss fight after that.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

I teared up at various points in various games. Not quite like my wife - the ending of ICO devastated her - but I've done it before.

The ending to Mother 3, though? That destroyed me. I haven't cried like that since I was four years old. I've never been affected by any piece of media like I was by that game.

In fairness I was going through some depression at the time, but the fact remains.

"My poor boy.... You must be so tired...."

The ending of Ico brought me way down, then shot me right back up.

Hearing Ueda's comments on the ending changes everything, though.

The scene on the beach is just a dream.  ;_;

CommonMan said:
rocketpig said:
rocketpig said:

I yelled, out loud "No fucking way! Not Mordin!" at the end of Mass Effect 2, he's the only one I lost. I should have known better than to have him "Hold the Line" dammit. One of the best characters in gaming in the last 20 years.

Indeed. Mordin is coming with me on every mission during my Renegade playthrough. After the way he scolded me for being a good guy, I can't wait for him to take satisfaction in my merciless execution of everyone I find.

Another scene that really got me pumped up was Jenny's death in The Darkness.

I wanted to kill that bastard so badly after that... it was really my entire motivation for finishing what was generally a pretty mediocre shooter. The way the dev handled early interaction with Jenny was brilliant and really set up the story for her death and the orphanage portions later in the game only pissed off the player more.

I've never 'cried' due to a video game or movie. The only time a video game or movie ever brought me to tears per se was due to how well it was developed. Its hard to describe I guess, but when the music, cinematography and character development are all brought together correctly, any medium, from a game to movies or Anime can really move you.

But as for crying just cuz a scene was 'sad', no, not really. Mostly because most of the time when something in a movie or game tries to be intentionally sad, its pretty obvious to me. Guess I've just seen too many movies/played too many games.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

MGS2 got tears on my eyes, when Otacon's sister gets pwned by vamp... What was her name, Emma right? I laugh now but I died a little bit inside at that time XD
Oh and MGS4 had so many twists and turns at the end... Cried of epicness tbh.