By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubi: 'No point' doing realistic Wii games.

Yes how right he is. We should get games that have stlyes instead of making them realistic

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Just give them style like Resident Evil 4.

I agree with this dude. Artsy over realistic graphics ftw!

Zucas said:
But that defeats the purpose of graphics in video games. The purpose is to convey the atmosphere, setting, and central themes of a game in visual format. If you create the graphical style separate from that of the original purpose, then you just have a game that feels misplaced... which is the case for a lot of Wii games. It's funny how Wii is supposed to be the system where you can expand your creativity and ideas, yet developers seem to be trying to do the exact opposite in limiting themselves.

This is part of how many are missing the point of the Wii. They just see limitations, and try to pass off those limitations as reasons not to support it, when their supposed freedom on the HD systems is just throwing money at it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Zucas said:
But that defeats the purpose of graphics in video games. The purpose is to convey the atmosphere, setting, and central themes of a game in visual format. If you create the graphical style separate from that of the original purpose, then you just have a game that feels misplaced... which is the case for a lot of Wii games. It's funny how Wii is supposed to be the system where you can expand your creativity and ideas, yet developers seem to be trying to do the exact opposite in limiting themselves.

This is part of how many are missing the point of the Wii. They just see limitations, and try to pass off those limitations as reasons not to support it, when their supposed freedom on the HD systems is just throwing money at it.

Previously mentioned games like Madden are supposed to be as realistic as possible because they are supposed to be made to match a real life person's likeness. Many people still buy the PS2 versions of Madden simply because they are accustomed to its controls, even though much better looking alternatives are out there. The graphical change of Madden 10 Wii turned people off - me included. It served as a cop-out, at a time where Wii Maddens were improving, saleswise and graphically.

Also like mentioned before, Resident Evil 4 used realistic graphics effectively. Although most areas were quite drab (brown/gray) I remember the underground room of lava, which was well-designed. If anything, I feel like making "HD" or whatever games can cause limitations do to over-complexity. Look at FF13, more linear as a result of difficulty making more varied environments. This complexity is also the reason it would take 10 years for a remake of a 13 year old game. FF13 may be better, more streamlined perhaps, but there is obvious limitations brought upon by bleeding-edge imagery.

This guy from Ubisoft, Jason, does not seem like a bad person, so he isn't trolling. However, he unfortunately has yet to see too many companies try the realistic approach effectively perhaps on the Wii. His statement is much deeper than it appears.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

This solution doesn't sit well with me for some reason. How many times does graphical style get brought up as a limiting factor to a game's sales numbers? Okami and Madworld spring to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

"How many times does graphical style get brought up as a limiting factor to a game's sales numbers? Okami and Madworld spring to mind."

And GTA Chinatown Wars. So this notion going for realistic graphics is bad just doesn't fit.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I used to agree with this notion but to be honest, and setting rail shooters aside, its a bit wrong.Conduit is a poor example to start off, i think it was poorly applied(the engine).

Im sure however, they havent experienced Silent Hill SM, a game that is ages above The Conduit in realistic graphics.It rivals a number of similar HD experiences without problems(siren comes to mind), and its not even onrailed.Is just magnificent, and VERY realistic, and on top of that, on the wii.Sure theres a souped down ps2 version, its painfully obvious how superior and much more real the wii version feels.

The best looking realistic game on the wii is Silent Hill SM and if the ubisoft crew checked this game out, they would be ashamed of thinking The Conduit was any achievement for the system.

that said, i think it took a considerable amount of skill to pull SH feat so i can sympatize with the stylized idea if its easier at times.

Sadly, he's right. Last gen there was no problem because even if the PS2 was the "weaker" system, the graphics were somewhat similar to the other consoles. This is not the case with the Wii, even if we have some impressive graphics there will always be someone that compares them to the other consoles.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Words Of Wisdom said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
I'd be more inclined to listen if they knew how to spell the word "stylize"

The other issue isn't that people found flaws about The Conduit vs 360/PS3 games its that it lacked good art and at some points any and all creative graphical design...

I'd be more inclined to listen to your post if you used proper grammar.  Pot meet kettle.

I agree with Ubisoft.  I think competing on fronts that favor the 360/PS3 is a lost cause to begin with and especially so when a game's target audience is likely to include multiconsole owners.

Indeed, the way to counter me is to go "yeah you made mistakes on your grammar on an internet forum, you know and this guy doesn't use spellcheck on his own article, you know something that represents their site directly, it's totally the same thing!"

Oh you, and your ways to try to get under peoples skin, acting like it even matters.

It's not like I don't agree, I really do in fact, but "no point" is a bit much.  Point being I really wouldn't have liked Silent Hill Shattered Memories if was all style, and that game has nice visuals of it's own.  Yes there's no point to do realistic graphics on Wii unless you want to make a game with atmosphere, nice lighting effects, and so on...

That's my last bit on this, cause it's a rather dumb discussion to begin with, of course games are never going to ever look like Uncharted on Wii, so what?  If you make a good game with good visuals it stands up no matter the console or style, there's last gen games that look better than current gen games, RE4 vs RE5 being a prime example.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000