By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should buyers of pre-owned titles be punished?

If publishers want to punish people for buying pre-owned, then they should also be dropping the prices on their games more, and continuing to supply shipments to retailers. If you're charging $60 for a year old game, people are going to buy pre-owned. If you're charging $30 for a 2 year old game, people are going to buy used. If it's such a big deal that people buy used then they need to start charging more accordingly.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't block any online play for pre-owned DS games.
And yet DS has a number of million sellers with which Sony can only dream of having in PSP.

The solution for less piracy and less second hand buys is to actually sell games at a fair price.

impur1ty said:
If anything, the companies trying to take away our freedom should be punished.

So dont take away someones freedom when they come in your house and take a game for free.

Thier are tons of reasons to say this is good and  bad. The chances of any of us changing somones mind is slim. People believe what they want to believe. For me I buy almost all my games new. The games I do buy used are older games I can not find new anyways. I do not sell them back as I find them fun again later. This is also why I only buy games I know forsure I want and have done a little reading on here and read a couple reviews. Of crouse after all this If I still feel a bit iffy about wait for the price to drop. I got A Boy and his Blob for $30. A game I thought I would like but was not 90percent/or whatever about. Also, being that games tend to drop in price rather quickly anymore unless is a huge AAA game why would you buy a used one? If you can not afford it week 2 or w/e at full price wait a couple months and brand new game for less than the used price was!!! YAY! Sure every now and then I still end up not liking a game as much as I thought. But meh, you can not always be right.

I think if publishers effectively crackdown on the used game market they are going to find they don't really gain that much.  This is because:

1. Gamers who can't resell their games will have lower budgets for new games.
  2. Gamers who can't resell their games will become more discriminating in their purchases.
  3. Gamers who currently buy used games won't all be willing to pay full price. (some will rent, some will pirate, some will just stop gaming)

Of course, if publishers do effectively crackdown, and I am right, they will never admit it, they will just find something else to blame.

Punished for what?

And why should video games be different than any other industry?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Each pre-owned game sold means that the game itself sucks.

If the game is really good then people would never sell them because it's a classic and a treasure for them.

Developers and publishers should release better games.

Absolutely not.

They want us to pay for their mistakes.

Why do they keep pulling used game DLC tricks if they are so confident in the quality of their game?

Stop making movie games and offer some replayability and maybe people won't 'rent' your game.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Absolutely not.

They want us to pay for their mistakes.

Why do they keep pulling used game DLC tricks if they are so confident in the quality of their game?

Stop making movie games and offer some replayability and maybe people won't 'rent' your game.

I am sorry but statements like this are utter nonsense.   No matter how good or bad or replayable a game is you'll find penty of copies on sale second hand.   Quality of product has little to do with it.

True, but when a game is really good, the number of sales would be so high that pre owned market would never pose a threat

I.E.

-Moder Warfare

-Mario Kart Wii

-NSMB Wii

-GTAIV

-Wii Fit

Why the heck should people buying used stuff be punished? So if I buy a used car, should I be punished? It's just stupid. These companies should blame themselves for setting the price so high. If amazon can do a lightning deal and sell things for $30-40 for a brand new game, I don't see any reason why they can't set MSRP at $30-40. If that's the case, I normally would buy a new game at that price than a used game at that price.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

What about out of print games? Should we be punished for buying a secondhand game when it's no longer available through normal retail? Are these companies going to print their games indefinitely, and are the stores going to allocate them an enormous amount of shelf space? I think not.