By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should buyers of pre-owned titles be punished?

gansito said:
capitalist pigs. If i payed for something, i can do whatever i want with it, even selling it.

Nobody is stopping you from selling it so I'm not sure what you're upset about.

They are simply provinding you with an incentive to buy new...again, nothing really wrong with that.

Around the Network

It's not punishing people who buy pre-owned games... it's giving something extra to people who buy new games.

You get the game for cheaper. That's the advantage of pre-owned games. If you wanted free access to the severs you could have paid a little extra to get the game new.

gansito said:
capitalist pigs. If i payed for something, i can do whatever i want with it, even selling it.

When you buy a game, what are you paying for, exactly?

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Game developers have an extreme sense of entitlement. They feel that they deserve special treatment that just about every other industry doesn't enjoy (you can resell cars, clothing, property, electronics, music cds, DVDs, etc.) Consumers are going to pay what they feel the product is worth. Consumers act out of self-interest, not out of charity for these 'poor' game developers. And that's how it should be in a capitalistic society. Game developers, you want sympathy because you lost your job during this recession? Tough shit, make games that are worth plunking down $60 for. If you don't like it, get out of the entertainment industry (which the game industry is part of) and go work somewhere with real job security because job security in the entertainment industry is horrible and if you can't live with that, tough.

If game companies want to give out incentives for those that have new copies, that's fine. Consumers will vote accordingly with their dollars. And honestly I think gamers are going to reject these schemes just like they largely reject the DLC swindle. All these game companies are selling DLC but yet look at how much money they are losing. When EA is losing all kinds of money, that's karma.

CommonMan said:
Not in a capitalist society they shouldn't, part of selling something in such a society is the knowledge that it can be resold.

This

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
silicon said:
It's not punishing people who buy pre-owned games... it's giving something extra to people who buy new games.

You get the game for cheaper. That's the advantage of pre-owned games. If you wanted free access to the severs you could have paid a little extra to get the game new.

Or is it taking stuff that very well could of been in the game and holding it out because people buy used games? Ironically your avatar shows the RIGHT way to stop the selling of used games. Offer the people who buy the games reason to not sell them.

Garnett said:
Try lowering the cost of a new game, $60 is too much.

I agree, you will get a lot more sales this way.  In fact they should have a system in place where only the really good games can sell for over $50, a review score of 8.0 or higher can be while the rest should be sold for less.

loves2splooge said:

Game developers have an extreme sense of entitlement. They feel that they deserve special treatment that just about every other industry doesn't enjoy (you can resell cars, clothing, property, electronics, music cds, DVDs, etc.) Consumers are going to pay what they feel the product is worth. Consumers act out of self-interest, not out of charity for these 'poor' game developers. And that's how it should be in a capitalistic society. Game developers, you want sympathy because you lost your job during this recession? Tough shit, make games that are worth plunking down $60 for. If you don't like it, get out of the entertainment industry (which the game industry is part of) and go work somewhere with real job security because job security in the entertainment industry is horrible and if you can't live with that, tough.

If game companies want to give out incentives for those that have new copies, that's fine. Consumers will vote accordingly with their dollars. And honestly I think gamers are going to reject these schemes just like they largely reject the DLC swindle. All these game companies are selling DLC but yet look at how much money they are losing. When EA is losing all kinds of money, that's karma.

where is the entitlement?  this is no different than any software company that only provides a license to install the program on one machine, and if you want to install i on additional machines you have to pay an additional licensing fee, except now the video game companies are simply saying with each game comes the right to only play it online on one machine, and if you want to play it on another you have to pay an additional lcensing fee to do so.  thta's just called protection.  it in no way prohibits anyone from selling the game.

you, on the other hand, are the one who is exhibiting the sense of entitlement by believing you have a right to the games online services for free, which you don't.  the extent of your rights are the mere extent to which they allow.  since you want more, and clearly believe you are entitled to it, you are the one who has a sense of entitlement.  how could you miss such a blatant hypocrisy to your own argument.  that's simply dumbfounding.

loves2splooge said:

When you buy used anything else, car for example, you don't get new.  You get a used car.  You get a car that has depreciated value, you get a car that has engine wear, you get a car that's a little dirty, ect.

When you buy a used game you get the same exact game.  A used game is exactly the same as a new game which means there isn't really much incentive to buy new.

What things like providing free DLC to new games does is give someone an incentive to buy new.

Typically you buy something used because you aren't willing to spend as much for whatever reason and you just accept you don't get as good as new.  Games have always been backwards in that you spend less but get just as good as new.

That isn't developers having a sense of entitlement, it's just people getting the same thing for the used price as others get for the new price.  Again, I think provinding free DLC for new games is a wonderful idea.  It gives consumers an actual reason to buy something new.  It's not publishers trying to nickel and dime you since, they're either actually saving you money for not having to buy that or giving you the same exact game you would have gotten in the first place.

In the case you buy used, you have to spend money, but that's just the consequence of buying used.  If you want that DLC, you have to pay extra and that's just that. 

Is this thread a joke??

The day that it becomes illegal to purchase or sell used games is the day I stop buying games.